Gecko - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Gecko

I am getting a leopard gecko off a breeder who has to give up breeding for abit, as she is moving...anyway, I have been doing all kinds of research, but just wanted to know who here has them and what tips or things do you suggest?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I have one.... but I really don't have any kind of tip... heh

This is a good caresheet, though...
http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=6982

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Awww, how old is yours? Does he or she have a name?

I am going to that site now, I wanna do as much research as I can!

I went to pick my gecko today.The one I will be bringing home is an adult male, he is a retired breeder.I think his name is Bear.Anyway she had 3 leopard geckos and my cousin took one and out of the 2 that were left,a male and female, this is the friendliest.He likes to be handled and likes my head in particular!He just likes to sit up there!! The female is a little nervous and high-strung.The guy I am getting is also my friend's favorite...and I can see why!I cannot wait to bring him home!He is such a cutie!!

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Mine is a female, and her name is Cleopatra (I call her Cleo). I've had her for about 1.5 years now, she was young when I got her, not completely grown up, but almost. 8)

Bear sounds like a sweety... Cleo is weird, she doesn't likes to be picked up, but likes to climb up on my hand... lol. She also hides most of the time, but on feeding days she's out and looks at me till I feed her... lol. I just remembered this other site that also has some good info on leos:
http://www.crestedgecko.com/lg_care.htm

Dimaris

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Part of the Pack

*warning* This is not helpful in anyway, at all.

There was a gecko in my bathroom. I named him The Devil and he ate the souls of the condemned,(when they star out that word, it makes it look a whole lot worse then it is 8D) by which I mean ants and moths that are abundant in my bathroom.

He scared me real bad because I first found him on the edge of the bathtub, and I SWEAR that thing was dead, a broken neck. His eyes buldged and black, clouded over. How I stared at those lifeless eyes. He was big. My whole body froze over. Imagine coming face to face with a dead freaky lizard.(he was see-through as are all the geckos in florida)

Came in again, he was gone, thought my dad got rid of him (was too freaked out to do it myself)
but NO he was ALIVE waiting for me on the window, peering down at me, his eyes now a golden color, with black pupils.
It was the SAME gecko, I stared at him the enough the first time to know.
Even freakyer, he moved, but I never SAW him move. One instant he's be up a window, next he's doing that weird gecko curve body thing.

The Devil lived in my bathroom.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Fubie, thats a funny story...I laughed at it...by the way where is the little devil now?

Padfoot, thanks for showing me a pic of Cleo, she is a beautiful gecko...also thanks for the other link.I also just found a gecko only forum which is pretty good too!I have heard that the females prefer to be handled more then the males, but the breeding pair that my breeder has, Bear and the female (dunno her name)...well Bear is more sweet and likes to be handled, while the female is skitzy and nervous...I guess it all depends on the gecko in particular!

* Lisa *

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Herp Nerd

I have a few leos, they're fun little guys. My male Smiley likes to pretend he is always starving to death and come running to the food bowl any time I walk by his cage.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

What a cute gecko! He is such a cutie! How old is he?

I will be bringing Bear home tommorrow, I am so excited!I will post pics as soon as I can...I won't take any for a few days, until he settles...he is going to be stressed enough from the move.

What substrate do you use??I see papertowels in the pic.I know lots of ppl use them.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Herp Nerd

I'm not sure how old he is, I bought him as an adult at the local reptile expo. I've had him a year. I'd imagine he's around 3ish.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Fubie, thats a funny story...I laughed at it...by the way where is the little devil now?
!
Outside terrorizing the big juicy moths by our door step light.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Smile

tile is a good substrate just dont glue it to the cage (so you can pull tiles out and clean them. it looks nicer than papertowels do and its pretty easy to clean i dont have a leo yet but i do have 2 bearded dragons on tile
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitherz
tile is a good substrate just dont glue it to the cage (so you can pull tiles out and clean them. it looks nicer than papertowels do and its pretty easy to clean i dont have a leo yet but i do have 2 bearded dragons on tile
Tile, huh!? I never thought of that.

I use coconut fiber for my leo.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

coconut fiber?!! you know having youre leos on coconut fiber is a bad idea when they eat or just smell their surroundings with their tongue they can ingest the substrate and possibly become inpacted...a solid substrate is way way way safer..like shelfliner,tile,papertowels,reptilecarpet etc etc.... why risk it?

i have lots of babies.....so i just wont list them at the moment but ill eventually put pics here...
stop rattlesnake roundups!! join neopets.com!!!
STOP impaction and bacterial infections in leopard geckos and bearded dragons!! it can be prevented! use solid substrates like tile,newspaper,slate,shelfliner,newspaper,or reptile carpet...save a reptiles life! there may only be a 10-50 percent chance of them getting inpacted but why take that chance??????
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I know nothing about this but...what about a bath mat - the kind you put in the tub so you don't slip? I used to use that for my bunny so she could get footing and it was easy to pick up and clean.

Sorry to butt in on a subject I am clueless about...I hope I don't sound too nuts.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

I use desert sand with my Leopard geckos and decorate the tank with flagstone. It looks nice and natural, I'm not much for substrate like paper towels etc. I just can't imagine it being comfortable for the geckos.

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, breeding pair, food bowl, leopard gecko