Gecko Information - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Mud

Gecko Information

could someone give me some info on geckos?? i have been thinking for a while about getting one.(don't know for sure if i will.) so any info would be great!!

thanks a bunch!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Depends on what kind of gecko you want .

Do you want a Leopard Gecko? Or a different species?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How funny! My daughter was just telling me that this is what she wants. A Leopard Gecko!
Does anyone here on pt have one? Whats a good website you recommend to find information on keeping one?

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 AM

Lisa (Vanilla_Rat) has geckoes...but she's temporarily without internet
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:59 AM

I typed "leopard gecko" into firefox & got http://members.aol.com/msnick1/leopa...html this link
I will get more links for you tommorrow.I have quite a few listed but my computer hates me & not letting me do a thing >_<*
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 AM

I typed "leopard gecko" into firefox & got http://members.aol.com/msnick1/leopardgeckos.html
I will get more links for you tommorrow.I have quite a few listed but my computer hates me & not letting me do a thing >_<*
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:02 AM

Can someone please delete the first entry I posted? The link is wrong I tried to use the code but alas,my computer hates me.The right link is the second entry :

http://members.aol.com/msnick1/leopardgeckos.html <-correct link!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Mud

i don't really know what kind i want,there are soo many to choose from and i don't know what types they have in pet stores around here.

o and thanks for the link Melissa.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Herp Nerd

My personal choice would be a crested gecko. They're arboreal geckos, so need a set up where they can climb, but aside from that are remarkably easy to care for. They are nocturnal, so do not need any special lighting aside from a regular day/night cycle. They don't generally require any supplemental heating, unless your house gets below 72 degrees regularly. Their main diet is fruit, provided via special crested gecko diets (readily available through PetCo, or other chain stores), or simply baby food mixes with additional calcium added via a powder. They can also eat your typical gecko fare, like crickets, wax worms and so forth, and those will help them put on weight, but are not absolutely necessary. They are a neat little gecko with a lot of personality, but like all geckos, are not really something that should be handled a large amount because their skin is fairly fragile and their tail can fall off if grabbed.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
My personal choice would be a crested gecko. They're arboreal geckos, so need a set up where they can climb, but aside from that are remarkably easy to care for. They are nocturnal, so do not need any special lighting aside from a regular day/night cycle. They don't generally require any supplemental heating, unless your house gets below 72 degrees regularly. Their main diet is fruit, provided via special crested gecko diets (readily available through PetCo, or other chain stores), or simply baby food mixes with additional calcium added via a powder. They can also eat your typical gecko fare, like crickets, wax worms and so forth, and those will help them put on weight, but are not absolutely necessary. They are a neat little gecko with a lot of personality, but like all geckos, are not really something that should be handled a large amount because their skin is fairly fragile and their tail can fall off if grabbed.

I totally agree. Cresteds are my favorites . I want one but haven't found a breeder yet...I'd rather not go to a petstore (petstore ones are over-priced anyways and are often missing their tails).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Leopards are my favorites But cresteds are also cute! I'll get more links for you later today,promise
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Title Thief Victim

I think Leopard geckos are a good starter gecko..I have 2....if oyu have any questions on Leopard geckos Ill be happy to answer them for you or anyone.

Carissasaurus Rex

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa
I think Leopard geckos are a good starter gecko..I have 2....if oyu have any questions on Leopard geckos Ill be happy to answer them for you or anyone.
I'm getting two
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:56 PM

Talking I promised more links,it's 12:10am my time...not quite later same day,sorry!!

I'm posting more links.Some are good,some are just ok.But I'm posting quite a few.Theres loads more info out there I'm sure.But trying to help you out (& anyone else) I'm researching more myself :

Linksie 1 <-leopard gecko

Link 2 <-Fat tailed gecko. Don't go into detail much @ all.

Link 3 <-western banded gecko. never heard of it as a pet??

Gecko Ranch <-has info,supplies,list of species of geckoes + link recommendations!!

Global Gecko Association <-I just found this site earlier today.My fave so far.Care sheets on many geckoes ...using the common name& scientific (latin?) name...also good to search for the least common name when getting an animal as well.Because even though some look similar,always great to know for sure.
I think you'll really like this site.Has gecko sounds as well.Very cute.

The last 2 links,by far my favorites.

Keep researching though.Can never research too much.Hope I helped at least a tiny bit.

[EDiT: to add] I wouldn't recommend using a heat rock btw.They tend to get very hot & burn animals.
Under tank heaters are good,have it so it doesnt cover the entire bottom of the terrarium so that the gecko can have a warm side & a slightly cooler side to it's habitat.
There's lots of substrates available,but research those as well.Some can seriously cause problems with geckoes.

Last edited by candyraver; 01-23-2007 at 11:07 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 PM

cute gecko

Tags
crested gecko, leopard gecko, pet store, pet stores