Got a new iguana need some feeding tips - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

Got a new iguana need some feeding tips

Ok well the pet shop i work at we got some baby iguana's in, well i never wanted one till today lol. I saw we had one out of the 6 that was smaller and more cute to me. I know they get huge and all. So i bought him . I have him here at my house and i love him. I named him Falasa.

I know alot of care on them but feeding is a diff thing to me lol. I gave him some vegei's and greens he just licked at them some. I did hand feed him a little baby food he licked it up some. Maybe he is still stressed from coming to my house? I just hope he eats good soon. Is there a way to get him to eat alot more than just licking the food?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LOVE Inuyasha and my Boy friend 4 LIFE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of set-up is he in? Temperatures, UVB, type of enclosure, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

right now he's in a 40gallon breeder tank, with a UVB/UVA light the Solar glo bulb. Tree limbs, bush area's, Hides, water bowl, food bowl. Temp is around 95F on hot side. I mist him to keep the hum up.

Like i said we got them in today and i took him home today. So i think he is a little stressed from the trip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've read they live longer when they have access to a small swimming pool.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He is stressed, you need a much larger enclosure it will out grow that in a few weeks. You need to chop the food up to pieces smaller than between the eyes, so a food processor works great.

Mustard, collard, and turnip greens are the staple. Mix of all three every day.

Don't touch him at all for at least 2 weeks then you can start to go near him. he needs to get used to his surroundings if he's going to eat.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
I've read they live longer when they have access to a small swimming pool.
not really, they need high humidity and normally potty train to go in water swimming pools are just messy. you can give them soaks in the tub though

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

I just read this article the other day that also suggested giving them a swimming pool.

http://www.reptilechannel.com/lizard...-and-care.aspx

I know when I had my rescue iguanas, the one that wasn't paralyzed I gave a swimming pool and she really seemed to enjoy it. The one that was paralyzed (they where rescues) I didn't give one because I was afraid he'd drown, but he still really enjoyed his daily soaks.

It was kind of messy though. I had to change the water in the pool pretty much every day because they like to go to the bathroom in water.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:23 PM
is a little "special"

I dont have any tips, but congrats! He is adorable! Id love to have an iggy some day

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

a swimming pool would be great if you could limit the use and such but they are a pain otherwise. A large kitty tray works ok

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
He is stressed, you need a much larger enclosure it will out grow that in a few weeks. You need to chop the food up to pieces smaller than between the eyes, so a food processor works great.

Mustard, collard, and turnip greens are the staple. Mix of all three every day.

Don't touch him at all for at least 2 weeks then you can start to go near him. he needs to get used to his surroundings if he's going to eat.
Im feeding him right stuff, I am chopping the food up till its so tiny, I have one of them chopper things so it does the job lol. I had a few of my friends that had iguana's in the past tell me he is stressed from the trip so i should just give him a few days to calm down. And the 40gallon he is in is only till he does start growing, Im not putting him into a HUGE cage as a tiny baby to me that would scare the crap out of him. I know they get huge when they grow.

Last edited by DragunzGirl; 04-10-2010 at 09:37 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Curmudgeon

Iguanas are cute, but like most herps, I don't think that they are an appropriate, or wise, choice for most folks. (...same for baby humans.)

There is a world of difference between supplying the minimum care needed for an animal to survive, and the amount of care some animals need to thrive.

Lots of folks can keep iguanas alive for years. It just means they are killing them slower than other folks. If you've ever seen a wild iguana, with it's healthy demeanor and bright green skin, you'd think it was a different species than the animal most people keep as pets. ...there are exceptions. It takes real time, money and dedication to do well by a green iguana.

That said, Kendalle is without a doubt the person I would trust to answer your questions.

Another web source that I think highly of is Melissa Kaplan's site.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 04-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

thanks lots.

He ate today

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

a big cage when small doesn't scare them, it makes them more confident not being trapped in a small glass tank they feel trapped and exposed. You need to supply lots of hides to make them feel secure, keep quite around it for a while

Once your little ig is confident in its surroundings then you can start putting your hand in there and resting it for awhile to let curiosity do its job

Right now to your ig you are something that will eat it you are probably 100 times taller and weigh 1 mil times more than it.

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
a big cage when small doesn't scare them, it makes them more confident not being trapped in a small glass tank they feel trapped and exposed. You need to supply lots of hides to make them feel secure, keep quite around it for a while

Once your little ig is confident in its surroundings then you can start putting your hand in there and resting it for awhile to let curiosity do its job

Right now to your ig you are something that will eat it you are probably 100 times taller and weigh 1 mil times more than it.

well really i think he is doing good now he sits on my shoulder and eats out of my hand I take him out of the tank alot he's only in there while im not home. I think why he did not eat before is cause like i said I just got him and that same day he was in a small box shipped to the pet shop.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds like you have everything handled, just dont feed spinach. I watched it kill my brothers iguana from calcium formation. And before anyone attacks me over this i would like to note he has been raising and breeding CAPTIVE bred iguanas since 1989 and that is the only unnatural death he has had.

Tags
food, iguana