Green Iguana Sleeping Issue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Green Iguana Sleeping Issue

Hello, I recently purchased about two week ago a baby green iguana. I was so excited to get him. I have a 30 gallon tank with some branches, moss, and fake leaves. I mostly hand feed him, but I keep a bowl of food in there anyways. I feed him Collard Greens, Carrots, and Bananas. He seems to be very good, not hydrated. But there is one problem. He sleeps. The only time he is awake is if I pick him up. But the second he knows its me, he sleeps on my hand. I will find him waking up in the middle of the night to move away from his basking lamp. But its very often. Can anyone tell me why he is sleeping so much. I would appreciate any help and/or advice given. I hope for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Does he have a UVB bulb (different from a basking light) and if so, what brand/wattage? What are the temperatures in his cage? How large is he? Has he gone to the vet?

Definitely vary his diet more, he needs more greens.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

No he does not have a UVB bulb. basking spot is about 90-95 it varies. other than that its usually around 80 degrees and up. What other greens can I feed him? He is estimated 6" in body length. Not sure about his tail though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Hello Earthling

You need to get him a good quality UVB bulb. Most reptiles need UV light to function properly.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I promised myself that when I get the money I will purchase a UV bulb. How long should I keep his basking lamp and the UV light on?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM
is a little "special"

Here are 2 really good websites to get a good UVB light at:
www.Petmountain.com
www.LLLreptile.com
Ive ordered from both, and am very happy with them. I would definatly reccomend the ReptiSun brand (the flourescent tube, not the coil)... I think Iggies need a 5.0? Not sure though. I order ReptiSun 10.0s for my beardie, and I ordered 2 at LLLReptile along with some other things, and it ended up being about $23 shipped for each! You can get a fixture at WalMart for $9.

You really need a UVB ASAP, because it sounds like the lack of one is already effecting your lizard. If you wait too long, he will end up with Metabolic bone disease. Untill you can order a UVB, take him out in the sun every day.

I keep lights on 14 hrs a day in the summer. You dont want them on 24/7.
And collard greens, mustard greens, endive, escorole, turnip greens, ect are all good staple veggies. Avoid anything with the word "lettuce" in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you so much for those links. I'll look forward to buying one. Is there anything else anyone knows other than the lamps that would make him and more "hyper" ?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A small glass tank like that could be cooking your new baby. What kind of thermometer do you have? It needs to be digital.

And he is probably freezing every time you are around, they are NOT tame when you get them. I'm kind of surprised he will eat from your hand.

You need collard greens mustard greens and ternip greens as your main food source. And chopped up very very tiny.

You need a new bigger cage and a UVB bulb right away.

lights on 12 hours off 12 hours or there abouts.

And get that moss out of there

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
is a little "special"

And are you giving him any supplements? (calcium, multivitamins...)

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
green, iguana, issue, sleeping