Photos! Hatchling plans - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Hatchling plans

Since I have time on my hands right now and I just finished assembling the enclosures for the soon-to-be hatchlings I thought I would share the plans with all your fabulous people and see what your opinions and suggestions are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The eggs that I am awaiting to hatch were laid on the 29th of June 2009 by my only breeding female crested gecko - Bertha.
Crested geckos are a great beginner species to breed for a variety of reasons, the first is the care of the geckos themselves. Crested geckos come from a cool climate, New Caledonia to be exact thus they do not require additional heating depending on your climate. Crested geckos will actually become stressed and diet in temperatures over 82 degrees and fair better in temperatures of 70 degrees range and can go as low as the 60 degrees range. Breeding geckos should be keep in the low 60's for a couple of months to stop them from breeding and to give them a change to rest. In most places the geckos will follow the seasons since winter will cool them and summer with warm them back up.

Now on to the eggs. Crested gecko eggs can be incubated at room temperature, which I am doing. I keep the eggs in my closet in a shoe box sized container of moist perlite. The temperature ranges from 72-74 degrees. The eggs hatch in about 60 to 90 days but some people have had eggs take 100 plus days to hatch. I am hoping mine will hatch sooner than later but then again I want them to stay in the egg longer and develop more because they will be stronger than geckos who hatch earlier.'

The eggs have been incubating for about 55 days now and their moving their eggs around. Yes they are actually moving the eggs from the inside. So I think they should be hatching any day now. And from candling them I can see that they have hardly any room to move in there.

The enclosures I will be keeping them in for the first few weeks of life are plastic 6 Qt. shoe boxes. If anyone remembers my "Reptile Transportation Units" I am using those but modified. I added holes on the side for more ventilation.

Each little gecko will have its own enclosure so I can monitor eating, pooping etc... and I won't have to worry about tail biting etc...

I am using paper towel as a 'substrate' because it hole moister well and it is easy to clean. One enclosure will have a fake plant and the other will have a live pothos. Each also have a 'feeding platform' which is hot glued to the side and will hole the feeding dishes/cups.

They will be fed Crested Gecko Diet.

And now here are the pictures. I had Tiny model it so you would be able to gauge the size. Think smaller than Tiny, and that is how big the little geckos will be

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Tiny is so cute! He's not as tiny as I thought he was though!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Thanks!! She is super ting compare to Lewis and Bertha but the babies are going to be even smaller.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah I'm trying to figure out hold old my guy is...He looks smaller than Tiny for sure but I'm not sure how much...gah they're so cute! Mine is being so much nicer to me now, he let me hold him yesterday for just a little bit and didn't want to go back into his cage! LOVE!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How old is Tiny, do you know? Is he just smaller than the other two, or will he keep growing?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Tiny is less than a year, maybe 9 months. The other two are 5 years old.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Playful Pup

Very cute, thanks for sharing. Hope they come soon.

----------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Trixie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Thanks!!!