Heating and Lighting types.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

Post Heating and Lighting types..

:bfly: Here are a few ways to cheaply set up heating and some lighting for your lizards, snakes and other critters.. First i start of with a easy people heatting pad $10.00 from walmart, use it under one end of the cage, place news paper down first then some foil then the pad on that and turn pad on low setting, place cage on pad.. This provides warth and belly heat without burning the animal..

Enter House At Own Risk Tarantulas Loose Everywhere... Critter Freak!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

Some of these pads i have had for more than 6yrs and there still working great... Over time they will get a purple color to them from news paper and age..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

you will have to excuse the mess this cage got tore down today as the ocupent went to a new home..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

:cool: I will also get pics of how to use this heating pad on the inside of a cage as well, i will post them later on today... Place pad at one end of cage...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

And heres a cage and as you can see the pad is not visable.. This is China Dolls cage..

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

Ok for lights, this is a chick brooder light but you can find them just about anywhere for around $5.00 to $6.00 bucks it has a ceramic top where you screw in the light bulb.. I preffer these as they last alot longer than the plastic top ones... This light is 4 yrs old..

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

Ok now this is a clip on lamp that you can get for around $3.99 at walmart or anyplace.. You have to make sure that the heat can get out the air holes on the top as the plastic tends to melt and whorp out.. This one is proped off the top of the wood by blocks and screen..

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

:cool: With the proper light bulbs in those lamps you can produce a good amount of heat so becareful not to over heat your pet.. Heres a double flourescent light.. These are not cheap.. Here you can see i use foil under the bulb to help reflect the light down better... Best bulbs to use in these are plant grow bulbs or a fish tank bulb that intensifies color...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

Heres a top view.. you can get flourescent fixtures in single bulb to and also there are under the cupboard fixtures as well that you can just modify to use on a tank-cage top..

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

I have several other diffrent types of lights i use as well for cage lighting and i will get pics of those shortly...:bfly:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 04:03 PM

Great pictures and information Bearacuda! Thank you for sharing.

For flourescent lights, I reccommend the ones that put out UVA and UVB rays. You can buy them at pet stores usually in the reptile section. The specify what light rays they put out. They should be replaced yearly. And unfortunately they are not innexpensive, but they are worth it and make reptiles happier and healthier.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Poopsie AppleNose

Hey Lizgirl, most plant grow bulbs do put out UVB and there is some fish tank bulbs that put out UVB and UVA.. Also if you want to view your pet in the dark you can use a black light bulb and it puts out UVB, make sure it says it also.. some black lights are cheaply made.. Plant lights are cheaper and dont put out such strong light as to make the critter not want to be out in it.. Plus they also dont cause to much heat..

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 11:30 AM

I never knew that. I'll have to look into that.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 02:26 PM

Thanks Cuda, I mostly use the clamp lights that I find at Home Depot. But I haven't had them for a real long time so I'll watch for melting or any signs warping.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizgirl
They should be replaced yearly. And unfortunately they are not innexpensive, but they are worth it and make reptiles happier and healthier.
Now, I was under the impression that I needed to replace Haley's light twice a year, is it only once? That would be nice, those things ARE expensive!

Tags
fish tank, heating pad, pet store, pet stores