help choosing a lizard? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

we've been thinking about getting a lizard for a while now, but can't seem to decide what kind we should get. we haven't had any hand's on experience with lizards before but have been doing reading on the subject. been looking around a bit and will continue to do so, but i was hoping i could get a little help from here. i'd rather have one that could wonder around the house for a bit without any ill effects but could forgo that. i DO however need one i can handle every now and then. i've thought about an iguana but they live a bit too long and get a bit too big. i'm looking for one that get bigger than 2/3 feet and lives about 4/5 years - we don't know how long we'll be here and don't want to have to find it a new home. also, my boyfriend is very interested in getting a jackson chameleon. would it be far too stressful for him to be handled about once a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm. Most lizards have pretty long lifespans. But you could always get an older adult. Because other then the lifespan thing a Bearded Dragon or Uromastyx sounds perfect.

You could also look into Crested Geckos and Leopard Geckos. They are smaller but make great pets.

I'm no expert but most chameleons get stressed out with handling even if they don't show it. And considering how sensitive they are you wouldn't want to stress one out. But I don't have them...I'm just going by what I've read . I wanted one a while back but decided it wasn't the lizard for me...they have too short lifespans and are a bit sensitive. One day maybe I'll get one, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I would say a bearded dragon - they usually live between 4 - 10 years, that's just an average though, I've heard of them living longer. Plus, the better you take care of them, usually the longer they live.

Bearded dragons are usually recommend for first time lizard owners, they can be very friendly and you would be able to handle it, as well as let it explore outside the cage. They usually get to be about 2 feet long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree.Beardeds are good.I want one someday,but apparently they have ALOT of personality!

Leopard geckos and crested geckos are also really good for first time reptile owners.They are fairly easy to care for and handable in the most cases.They are smaller then 2-3 feet tho!

Do some research.There are TONS of lizards out there!! Look at the pros/cons of each one.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you could rescue a older iguana, alot of them in rescues are stunted in growth from bad diet and things so they stay smaller.. 3ish feet sometimes. plus they can be handled and let loose in the house. But they can be tempermental and require lots of care (although i think most lizards do)... reptiles in genral i think have pretty long life spans..

have you thought about a waterdragon or monitor? (i dont know much about either but they are fairly large and handle able i think.)

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

first off, no offense to those that like them, but we're not interested in a bearded or a gecko of any kind. based on the advice of another forum, we're probably going to go with a mountain horned dragon. any stories/advice from current or former MHD owners would be much appreciated.

we had also considered a water dragon, and an iguana -- but feel that a MHD would suit us much better.

Thanks for the feedback.
~Regards~
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain
I would say a bearded dragon - they usually live between 4 - 10 years, that's just an average though, I've heard of them living longer. Plus, the better you take care of them, usually the longer they live.

Bearded dragons are usually recommend for first time lizard owners, they can be very friendly and you would be able to handle it, as well as let it explore outside the cage. They usually get to be about 2 feet long.
No, they need to be handled for at least 2 hours a day, bathed daiy, taken outside, fed 100 crickets a day, get really expensive etc.

If you're considering a beardie, visit this forum and the following threads I will post.
The forum:
Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: Index
The posts:
Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: View topic - Higher Expectations?
Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: View topic - How to Kill Baby Beardies - (323) 934-8444
Definetly visit these parts of the forum:
Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: View Forum - General Discussion
Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: View Forum - Feeding
Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: View Forum - Behavior
Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: View Forum - Enclosures

I'll post some more for you later... and lots of info
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe an armidillo lizard they are cute! i dont have much info on them though

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightingale
we've been thinking about getting a lizard for a while now, but can't seem to decide what kind we should get. we haven't had any hand's on experience with lizards before but have been doing reading on the subject. been looking around a bit and will continue to do so, but i was hoping i could get a little help from here. i'd rather have one that could wonder around the house for a bit without any ill effects but could forgo that. i DO however need one i can handle every now and then. i've thought about an iguana but they live a bit too long and get a bit too big. i'm looking for one that get bigger than 2/3 feet and lives about 4/5 years - we don't know how long we'll be here and don't want to have to find it a new home. also, my boyfriend is very interested in getting a jackson chameleon. would it be far too stressful for him to be handled about once a week?
Beardies grow to be 24+ inches long, live 10-12 years, need to be handled for 2 hours at least daily, need to be bathed daily, and need to have expensive specific lightning and certain kinds of substrate, a tank at least 2 feet wide and 4 feet long.

I too, would suggest looking into getting an armadillo lizard.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

i'd like to state once again, we have NO INTEREST in beardies. we're probably going to get a mtn horned, and had decided on it till this armadillo suggestion. we'll look into it. thanx much.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

If you read above,she already said she doesn't really want a beardie.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 PM

Ok, I didnt wanna steer you away...just wanted to make sure you had the right care in your head Maybe a few leopard geckos would be better... although they cant really run around the house.

Wanna consider an Armadillo lizard? Try going here...they have forums for different kinds of lizards, post somewhere and they are experts...they can really point you somewhere on what kind of lizard you should get. Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: Index
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM

SOrry, missed that you had no interest in geckos either...
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It's not really a good idea to over handle any reptile. And I certainly wouldn't let one explore the house. They can find any dark crevice and hide very effectively. Now in an enclosed lizard proof room while you're watching, a larger lizard could explore a little just fine. Don't know a lot about Mtn. Horned Lizards except I haven't seen them as readily available as some others. Whatever you do don't buy anything wild caught for your first reptile.

Oh and in response to Breawna, no offense intended whatsoever but you may want to reconsider the source of some of your info. I have kept reptiles including beardies for years and enlist the advice of many others who have done it much longer and I can say with strong confidence that there is no reptile on earth that benefits from daily two hour handling. Even reptiles that tolerate handling only tolerate it and would in my opinion become quite stressed out at this level of human attention. Please anyone with a reptile or considering getting a reptile, get them because they're gorgeous and unique and interesting to watch in their natural behavior, do not get them because you want something you can play with. Hundreds of animals die every year because of this very mistake. Sure there are some who stress out less and tolerate handling more than others, but it's all relative, none of them love a large amount of it. This is exactly why I have gorgeous geckos, chameleons, snakes, and uromastyxes for watching, and rats for cuddling.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

^^^
Good post.I do not handle my leos often,or my millipede.They are not animals that are good for alot of handling,like a rat.Because they do stress out.My leos tolerate me handling them most days,but sometimes you can tell they do not want my attention.

If someone wants a cuddly pet that will interact with them,then a leo or most other reptiles are not the right choice.

* Lisa *

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, cage mate, crested gecko, leopard gecko, pet owner