HELP - Iguana Worried - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hi, I have a new iguana, my first iguana, i got it at a pet store it had one black spot on its tail that was kind of a lump, i thought it was either a hard shed or he got hurt and it was a scar but now it seams it has been spredding, he has black lumpy spots on his legs and stumach and in one spot its kinda yellow and pealing, i have been putting tripple antibiotic ointment and anti fungus on the spots he hates this and i think it hurts, ive also been giving him dayly baths, he isnt the taimest yet hes fine once out of his cage for me to hold but it stresses him to reach in his cage. I got him a few days after xmas and have read the green iguana's ultamite owners manual (great book) some of the black spots are flaking off leaving a sore sourounded by a black spot ring, there isnt a vet with in 2 hour drive and i will make it if i need to but i dont want to put him threw the stress of a car ride if i can help it. i was wondering if anyone had this happen to their lizard and if its normal and i am treating it right or if there is something else i need to do or if i should take him to the vet. im a student and wouldnt like to take off class but i will.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Honestly a vet check woouldn't hurt. I mean you said you were putting medication on him everyday and giving him a bath....that's got to be just as stressful as him seeing a vet and getting the medication that is right.

I wish you luck, and I know it sucks but it'll be better for him in the long run. Iguanas can live a long time.

*Missy*
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Title Thief Victim

Yea I would go with a vet, I had an iguana that had a black spot..never got him to a vet..there illigle up here but he was killed while I was in another state... :-( poor cujo..

Well anyways I would take him to a vet.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

Check out: www.thereptileroom.org its a good herp site and someone there can suggest a good iggy vet and maybe give ideas as to what's wrong with yours. Good luck. I know iguanas are common but alot harder to care for than the average store make them out to be.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

He's got an appointment on friday afternoon. i'm pretty sure he has black fungus but i want to make sure and see if they have something that will work faster on his spots. i hope he isnt going to be too scared there. i'm the only one that has messed with him much my poor little baby
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Title Thief Victim

aww well im glad you have a vet apt. hope he is well soon

Carissasaurus Rex

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

there is a picture of him
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kermit4.jpg (55.7 KB, 17 views)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Title Thief Victim

Aww he's cute.

Yay he does have alot of black... Tell us how the vet goes!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

its not on his head thats just his color, on the picture you cant really tell its there, kinda on the knees
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Oily Chickenspew

best of luck, you'll have to tell us how it goes! (i used to own green chinese water dragons ) lizards are great! pets

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i almost got a water dragon because they dont get as big but i desided that didnt really matter and rather wanted a veggitarian i really love him already.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Will It Ever Change?

fingers crossed for your guy!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
i almost got a water dragon because they dont get as big but i desided that didnt really matter and rather wanted a veggitarian i really love him already.

uhhh...i think that waterdragons still get a couple feet long

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Herp Nerd

Definitely take him to a vet, if spots keep appearing and aren't responding to home treatment, it's obvious he needs something more. Ulcerations on the skin like that could be a couple things, including burns from being too close to a heat lamp, or a system wide infection, maybe parasites, or it could be something as simple as skin rubs from his cage. Still, none of those are something you want to delay getting treatment for. Iguanas are tough, but he's still just a baby and needs to be treated before it has a chance to get worse.

Personally, there isn't any choice between a water dragon and a green iguana. They have little in common besides both being green lizards.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wanted a lizard, one big enough i can let free roam, that i could afford, and would grow to like me, which both can do i always wanted an iguana, but i hadnt herd of waterdragons until this year. i ended up choosing an iguana because i was more comfortable feeding it veggies then bugs and fish and baby mice

Im sure its not burns because they are mostly on his stumache and he only has top heat and its never able to touch the bolb and when i touch the wire its sitting on it never is burnable hot

im pretty sure its black fungus, ive only been treating him for 4 days and it seams to be changing a bit, i dont know if for the better or not but its not spredding anymore

im going to the vet tomarrow

Tags
baby mice, black spots, chicken wire, chinese water dragon, pet store