Help me socialize my gecko!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Help me socialize my gecko!!

Hey all!
I got my crested gecko a few days ago, wahoo!! He's a mean little guy, the lady at the pet store said she had never been bit by a crested gecko until him. So....I had to have him!! Love!! (she was mean, I laughed when he bit her, oops!)

Anyways, anyone with lizards out there, how should I make him more sociable? I've picked him up a few times, mostly he's just tried and tried to jump out of my hands. I figured I should stop, and let him be for a few days. I am not sure how to make him nicer (he bit me once, not that it hurt, but it made me a little sad). He's just a baby, so I want to make a good impression as soon as possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats, can't wait or pictures [hint, hint]. The little guys are pretty jump, I know might is, but as they grow older they will calm down.

You want to let him settle in for at least two weeks before you start trying to take him out and play with him.

With reptile there is really no way to 'tame' or 'make them nicer', reptiles do what they want, not what you want them to do. Just work slowly and gain his trust.

Never grab him by the tail instead let him climb on to your hand.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

He definitely isn't going to be climbing on my hand anytime soon haha but maybe someday. I won't mess with him anymore, he's just so darn cute! I wish I could put pictures up, but my camera won't focus in on him, I think it gets too confused with all the plants around.

Btw, I bought a heating pad and I'm not sure how much heat it puts out, but definitely not enough. One morning I came home from spending the night elsewhere, and the heating pad was on and it was only 65 in there! It had turned so cold during the night I was so scared. I picked him up and he was so cold, so I held him in my hands for a good 10 minutes, it was so sad and so cute at the same time. But once he was warm, he was like, I'm outta here! So i got an extra light which helps, but does your heating pad work more? I got one for a 30-40 gal, when my tank is a 20. I'm not sure if its just that the heating pad doesn't work or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Hello Earthling

Is it an Exo Terra heating pad?? Exo Terra heating pads never work for me so I use Zoo Med.

The appropriate temperature for crested geckos is 72 to 82 degrees. Anything higher can be fatal to crested geckos. If you are going to use a heating pad get something to control how much heat it will give off (I forget what the thing is called). With the light you are going to have to monitor it.

My tanks stay at about 72-74 degrees. The cooling temperatures (about 2 months) will be 65 to 70 degrees.

If you could post pictures of your set up that would be great. I love seeing other peoples set ups.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

No, its a zoo med, but it is wierd because it doesn't have a heat-control button or knob or anything! Its at about 80 now, I got a heat lamp but I put it right against the glass so the glass absorbs a good amount of the heat, its about 80 in there now. I may take the heating pad off, and just see how much the temp goes down. I've got a pic of my setup, hang on a bit
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Hello Earthling

You have to buy the thing that controls to the temperature on the heating pad.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Okay here we go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Summer 09 010.jpg (63.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Summer 09 011.jpg (73.9 KB, 8 views)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

meep!

I didn't know that! Jeez helpful ladies at the petco, let me tell you. I wonder what temp it automatically goes to when it doesn't have a control....I guess I will just have to buy one and return the things if it doesnt work out still.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Hello Earthling

Looking good I would suggest digital temperature and humidity reads and the dials are usually off.

Whats in the white bowl?

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

It was just a thing of water, I didn't think he would drink it but I put it in there just in case. I havent been seeing him eat anything, so I put a dish with the mix in a corner in the back, maybe he will eat it back there. Oh, back to my point. I was worried he wasn't eating anything, so I went to the store and got him like 10 crickets, the lady said she had been feeding him crickets about once a week so I thought he might eat those. I haven't seen him eat any, but there were about 5 drowned ones in the water dish

YUCK!!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Hello Earthling

Is the mix CRESTED GECKO DIET by ALLEN REPASHY (also sold by t-Rex)?

Don't leave the crickets in with him. They can and will bit him.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

The thing you are talking about is a thermostat. They can run pretty expensive. I paid 150$ USD for each one of the thermostats I have to use on my snake cages. You can find cheaper ones though.

Without a thermostat, the heating pad will just stay on forever. Normally those heating pads are supposed to add around 10 degrees to the temp, but you have one that is for a larger tank, so it's putting out more heat. The thermostat will shut off the heating pad when it reaches the correct temp, and turn it on when it drops below so that your little guy will never be in danger of freezing or over heating.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello Earthling

Yeah that's the thing. I have also heard that you cold use a dimmer which should he cheaper.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Jeez. Maybe I will wait on that one, I have about 40 bucks in my bank account after all the stuff for this little guy. I hope he appreciates it!! LOL

Huh. Is the thermostat sold by zoo med (so it easily connects to it and such), or is it more complicated than that? I would like to only have a heating pad, but unless it puts out way more heat than it is now, I don't think I can do without the lamp (I wish I could)
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Yes, you can use a dimmer as well. That is harder to keep the temps good though. And it doesn't allow the tank temp to fluctuate with the room temp. Let's say that when you set it, and its perfect temps in the tank, your room is at 70 F, it will only be that perfect temp when the room is 70F.

I had to get thermostats, because my snakes cost me around $2,500... Didn't want to take any chances with them lol.

Tags
crested gecko, lizard