help my iguana is like completly untame - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

help my iguana is like completly untame

whenever i go to take him out he whips at me and runs to the other side of the cage(i try VERY slowly) and i'm afraid that he's gone to far to be tame is this true? plz help oh and i have proper everything my grandma thinks he's just agressive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Hello Earthling

Some reptiles just don't like being handled. Iguanas can be the same way.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Herp Nerd

Sounds like a normal iguana to me. With lots of patience and persistence, you can spend time sitting near his cage, and talking to him, to get him more used to you... not trying to pick him up until he is calm enough to have you around. Main thing is to not let him get his way. If you immediately back off every time he does something like whip his tail, he will learn very quickly that this is effective in making you go away and keep doing it. There are many, many sites out there on iguanas, if you do some Google searching on iguana behavior, I'm sure you can find more information and some other ideas of what to do... but I've worked with many iguanas in my time, and it is a rarity to have one that is calm and enjoys being handled. They're not what I would consider a cuddly reptile pet.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

What is the cage like?
Size, heat, lights, uvb (how long have you had it what kind), substrate, food

How old is it?
How long have you had it?

Get this book www.iguana.com Read it, read it again, read it again.

Sit by the cage work very slowly

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

the size is 40 inches wide and 36 inches tall 16 inches deep
i use heat/sun lights when it's morning/day and i have a heat lamp for when he's asleep whats the uvb? a year and it's a green iguana the substraite is plastic the food is pellets and somethimes fruit and veggies. the age is approx. 2yrs i've had him for approx. 1yr. the cage type is mesh with plastic tubes.
anything else???
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You need serious changes. This will help make you iguana happy healthy and nicer.

Your iguana is living in jail, he is fighting for what little he has. He won't be nice.

You need a cage that is at least 4 foot long, 4 foot wide, and 6 foot tall.

A uvb bulb is a special reptile light that acts as the sun they need it to get vitamin D for calcium you are going to need to buy one at least get a tube light 10.0 uvb from your pet store IT MUST SAY UVB not UVA or Full spectrum.

They need that uvb to live.

Ditch the pelleted food, feed a mix of dark leafy greens from your grocery store, they need mustard greens, collard greens, and turnip greens daily.

work on building a new cage for your ig.

They need a basking spot of at least 90 and up to 95 degrees to digest food. then the cool end can drop to 75-80

at night it can go down to 70 no problem.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Part of the Pack

This is my iguana cage. There are many different kinds, but this is one I made for about 70.00. IT is 4' wide, 4'long, and goes all the way up to our 8' ceilings. It is made out of wood lattice which is VERY flimsy and has to be attached to a 1"x3" inch frame. The door has a 1.5' 'lip' at the bottom and I believe a 3' 'lip' at the top for stability. I also had to cut the screws flush so they wouldn't injure my igg. We had the 4' light strip laying around as well as a timer I set for a 12 hr cycle. Also attached to that 12 hr cycle is a UVB bulb but you can't see it in this picture. UVB bulbs are only effective at a distance up to 12 or 18" depending on the strength, so I gave my igg a couple weeks to find his favorite basking spot and then mounted it close to that spot. Not ideal but probably the only way to go about delivering uvb to iggs in such a big cage.

Feed collard, mustard, and turnip greens like previously stated. For supplement, I like a good vitamin/mineral supplement WITHOUT d3. HOwever, my Igg has had a uvb his entire life, so yours should probably get a good d3 supplement for a while since it is unable to make it's own using the uvb bulb. (thats why iguanas die without it, uvb light allows them to synthesize their own vitamin D, which is essential in bone development.) After a while with a properly used uvb bulb, you shouldn't need to give d3 and in fact it can harm your igg if you do. Also to be noted, a UVB bulb is not effective through some screens and often has to be installed INSIDE of the cage.

A pelleted diet is ok as part of the diet. However, iguanas eat a lot of food generally every day. I give the above greens every day, along with green beans and carrots or squash, and soaked alfalfa pellets. He sometimes gets things fresh from the garden, and gets fruits 2x per week or so. I use fresh greens from Meijers (only place I can find it packaged and pre cut) and then get canned tropical veggies, fresh bananas, and the occasional strawberry. I mix them all the fruits together and then freeze them into baggies that last me the 2x per week feedings.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan

Tags
animals, iguana, lizards, pet