How do you care for a baby Bearded Dragon? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Smile How do you care for a baby Bearded Dragon?

Hi All ~
Does anyone have a bearded dragon? Thinking about getting one and would like to know what you feed yours? How much do you feed them when they are only about the size of your hand? What do you use to keep them warm if a heat lamp is too hot for them at that age? What would tell me to do to give one the proper care and what would I need to buy when I get one?

Anything you can suggest is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Part of the Pack

Arrow

I have a BBD....... and the 1st thing I would suggest is to wait until they are at least 4 months old before you buy one - then they have a better chance of survival.

At this age you can feed them crickets (no larger than the width between their eyes) and a vegetable salad.... they really seem to love leafy greens.

I feed my BBD crickets twice a day - with the salad being served in between the times of crickets. Depending on the size of the crickets I would say that a BBD will eat 5 to 10/15 crickets per each feeding.

I would not feed your BD any mealworms until they are much larger say 9 to 12 months old..... for BD have a kink in their intestines where the mealworms can become in-lodged, therefore, causing impaction and then death. (I lost a BD this way once)

As far as a tank goes..... I have a 40 gallon reptile tank with 3 lights hanging over the mesh lid. With a heat light on each end and a sun light in the middle and my BBD does just fine with the tank temperature.... around 95*

DO NOT USE SAND with a BBD!!!!!!! - use NEWSPAPER for the tank lining.

List of items Needed:

40 gal Tank w/ lid (or larger)
heat light
sun light
water bowl
feeding bowl
spray bottle
reptile calcium
newspaper (for lining)
stick for climbing
crickets
cricket food (gut loaded)
water pillow for crickets (or cotton balls)

Go over that INFO and then we can talk some more......

R h a p s o d y -

Last edited by Rhapsody; 07-10-2007 at 08:15 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Wink Baby Bearded Dragon

Thank you for your info!

My daughter just bought a baby one over the week end for her kids. This is one with a body about as long as your index finger then add the length of a tail to that. How old would one be about that size?
The pet store told her it has been eating meal worms and crickets. She has been doing what they told her about feeding them but she is nervous as this is their first lizard.
I told her about the sand. The pet store said that lizards will like going under the sand......Do you know if that is true? I also read a post and they suggested using tile in the tank.
I will give her your information and have her get on this website! Thanks again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 PM

Rhapsody - Thank you,Thank you,THANK YOU for not just recommending a good enclosure but the warning about sand.

Tile can be used as well (newspaper is cheap& you just toss it after),with tile it might be a good idea to silicone it in the enclosure (with safe sealant) that way nothing gets stuck between aquarium& tile.& You just wipe it down =]

About the size/ age of the dragon,i'm not exactly sure.

I wouldn't go by what pet stores say...ever.
(With my experience with pet stores.)
Sand can cause impaction.
Not even my adult leopard geckos get loose substrate.
They are on newspaper& soon will be tile.

You could also look into reptile carpet (you'd have to wash it quite frequently though so I'd buy more than one).

I'd give a BBD other things to "go under".
Like those neat log things.
My geckos love them =P.

Is the BBD eating pinhead crickets?
Everyone I talked to with BBD said as a baby they just eat pinheads.
I'll try to get more info for you ASAP .

Last edited by candyraver; 07-11-2007 at 07:35 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Part of the Pack

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsLiveHere View Post
Thank you for your info!

This is one with a body about as long as your index finger then add the length of a tail to that. How old would one be about that size?

The pet store told her it has been eating meal worms and crickets.

The pet store said that lizards will like going under the sand......Do you know if that is true?

I also read a post and they suggested using tile in the tank.

Most BD do NOT like to go under any ting...... they like to be out in the sunlight preferably on a stick or on top of a flat surface basking stand. Make sure your heat and sun light is within 8 inches of your BD.

I would say that a BD about that size would be around 2 months old, therefore, I would lay off the mealworms, for that is about the age that my 2nd BBD passed away due to mealworm impaction.

Yes you can use tile if you wish, but newspaper is probably best for now..... for it can be changed easily every week to cut down on germs that could make your BBD sick...... (P.S.) make sure that our BBD is having a BM every day by looking for a new soft/wet stool every day.

To help with passing a BML a BD should be soaked in warm water once a week, and spray its head with a water bottle several times a week.

R h a p s o d y -
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Hi! I have a 10 month old, 15.5 inch long beardie. Whatever you do, don't feed him mealworms. He will die if you do. I suggest you register here and ask, they are all beardie owners, experts, and vets.
Bearded Dragon . org Forums :: Index
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

The Reptile Rooms :: Bearded Dragons, other Lizards, Snakes, Turtles and more!
Bearded-Dragons.com - Index

It takes alot of time and research to take care of these guys the right way
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Also there are great discussion forum at faunaclassifieds.com.

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, leopard gecko, meal worms, pet store, pet stores, water bowl