How much is too much food for Ig? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

How much is too much food for Ig?

Spike the rescued Ig is starting to eat pretty study, I have been feeding Collard Greens as a Staple. She will devour an entire Collard green leaf between about 9 am and 2 pm, should I give her more? A collard green leaf is pretty big considering how small her stomach is but she has no problem eating the whole thing, I "spike" it with a rasberry to juice it up for her but she doesn't seem to care either way.. should I try two whole leaves and see what happens, can they overeat? By the way Nose to tip of tail she is 29 1/2 inches at 5 years old..Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't worry about her eating too much at this point. Just remember to add a little variety now and then ... don't get stuck feeding only one thing.

Experience is really what will tell you if you are feeding enough. Give her enough food to fill up on. She will quit when she is full ... remove the rest. If left with a constant food source, iguanas can easily eat too much but as long as you have an indication of how much she eats in a sitting -- and feed that amount-- she won't be overeating ... does that make sense? .Try feeding her in the morning but you may want to put a little something out in the afternoon as well .. some iguanas are afternoon/evening grazers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 03:31 PM

Elf's advice is right on.

Some of my iguana's faves are dandelion leaves and flowers, raw and cooked pumpkin, yellow squash, strawberries, alfalfa pellets, collard greens, and leaks.

She is tiny. I am hoping that with the healthier diet that she may grow more. I am so glad she finally got you as a good pet mommy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Lizgirl but pet Daddy would be more me!! My name is Ed..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Herp Nerd

Personally, I don't think you can really feed an iguana too much, if its of the proper stuff with enough variety. I give my adult ig a heaping dinner plate of salad every couple days and she polishes it off. Just gauge the intake level and remove anything uneaten before it goes bad. Variety is key though, you don't want too much of just one thing.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 10:44 AM

Sorry Ed. I just assume everyone here is female unless stated otherwise. I think you and Rav are the only males here.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

You are forgiven but don't let it happen again!!!!!

Tags
collard greens