Humidity device question?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Humidity device question??

Which would you see as a better device. A fogger or the Habba Mister from Zoo Med?? I mist manually now many times during the day because winter here is real dry.. Anybody have any experience with either?? The pros of the Habba Mister would seem to be the timer function, not only how often it comes on but also how long it sprays....Oh by the way, HELLO, haven't been here in quite awhile..

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:36 AM
Curmudgeon

What exactly are you trying to keep humid?

Personally, for my tropical spiders (which need relatively high humidity), I rely on a combination of substrate and spray bottle. I use a substrate that holds water for awhile (cypress mulch) and spray on a regular schedule. Other advantages of the cypress mulch are that it doesn't mold, and you can tell by looking at it whether it is wet or in need of misting again.

One of the problems with foggers and automated misters is that they can be difficult to get regulated. If you are working more than one enclosure, they often dry out at different rates. Automated systems or foggers end up getting it wrong about half the time. You can get too high humidity in some enclosures and too low in others. You are the best judge of what needs moisture.

They are also a real pain to disinfect regularly. If you have a humidifier just generally keeping the room humid, they are a great breeding ground for molds and bacteria. They can adversely affect the health of anyone in the household who has allergies.

All in all, I've always thought these systems just more trouble than they are worth. I always want to look on my critters at least once/day and if I've got a spray bottle in my hand, I can deal with dryness right there.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have one enclosure for my Iguana..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Curmudgeon

For just one enclose, that you are going to be getting in everyday ...to feed and clean, you should be able to mist daily and keep the environment humid. Just make sure that there is plenty of air circulation so you don't start growing mold cultures (which stagnant air can encourage).

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.