i cant keep humidity - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

i cant keep humidity

i cant get humidity to stay in my crested gecko's cage, any suggestions on keeping it humid in their
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Hello Earthling

What is your set up?

You don't want the enclosure to be humide all the time, you want it to actually dry out between mistings.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

i have a glass exo terra 12L 12W 18t with a lamp for a little heat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

there's a pic on my profile of it
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Hello Earthling

I have a few suggestion to improve your geckos enclosure.

1) Switch the substrate from the bark to paper towel of coconut fiber. You'll be able to manage humidity better.

2) More branches, plants and place to hide. This will also help humidity.

3) You also don't need a heat lamp. Crested geckos aren't like other geckos. They prefer cooler temperatures and actually in temperatures over 80 degrees they can die.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

i cant even keep it to 74 it barely stays at 72
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:16 PM
is a little "special"

How ventilated is it? I dont have cresties, but I have hermit crabs so I know a thing or 2 about humidity.
I have a plexiglass lid on my 40 gal, with a gap in it about an inch wide for ventilation. Except for that gap, the entire top of my tank is covered. The humidity stays at 80% is and its 75-85*F in there. You dont want THAT much humidity or heat for a crestie, so try covering 1/2-3/4 of the top of your viv (Im guessing it has a wire top) in glass or plexiglass, see how much humidity and heat is kept in, and adjust it accordingly. UTH also work better for keeping humidity. Heat lamps dry out the air pretty quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello Earthling

Another question. How many times a day are you misting?

Do you have a reading of the humidity level?

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

i mist it a few times a day 2-3
i think im going to replace the heat lamp with a heat pad. and do you think i should get a fogger or automatic mister
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Hello Earthling

What are you trying to keep the humidity at?

It only needs to be humid for short periods of time, and need to dry out between misting.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

i try to keep it from going below 30. im running out of water, is it true that your not soposed to use house water
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:51 PM
is a little "special"

30% is too low of humidity for cresties. Bearded dragons should even have a little bit higher than that, and they are desert dwellers.
I read that crested geckos need a humidity of 65-75% (correct me if Im wrong Kayla... I dont know half as much about these guys as you do!), so keep up with the spraying, and try to keep your viv less ventilated. A UTH should help ALOT, especially if you put a shallow dish of water on the ground. The heat from the UTH will evaporate the water, and make it more humid. Try to get a small/low powered one though, because relular UTH will get a too hot for the geckos, unless you have a really really thick layer of substrate.
And personally, I dont use tap water for my lizard, but I dont think it will hurt them. You can buy water conditioner for reptiles if you are worried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Hello Earthling

Yep that's about right.

It should be around 50% - 70% range and about 99% when you mist.

Cover half of the screen top with plastic wrap, use a UTH if you require extra heat, shallow bowl of water (be sure it is shallow). Change your substrate to either paper towel or coconut fiber and add more plants and climbing things.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

any other suggestions for cage
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The suggestions given already should solve your problem. I honestly think that the heat lamp is the biggest culprit--those things really dry out tanks. How cold is it getting that you need extra heat? Cresties can handle temperatures as low as the 60's.

Oh, and live plants are great at keeping the humidity up. You'd need some sort of lighting (not a heat lamp, a fluorescent bulb or something) but your gecko will love them .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
crested gecko