I need Help Which to Choose - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I need Help Which to Choose

Hi Im sorta new to this pet thing. I have always wanted a pet of my own, and this time Im going to try to get one. I have narrowed it down to either a Crested Gecko, a Lepord Gecko or a Bearded Dragon. Iv read like everything about Lepord Geckos and Bearded Dragons but I have never owned one. I want to know what would be best for a begginer. I was also wondering if it was possible ot put a Bearded Dragon and Lepord Gecko together, thier requirements are sorta the same. I also would like to have more than one gecko (unless I could put Bearded Dragon and Lepord Gecko together). Im just trying to get some ideas. THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Hello Earthling

I would say go with a gecko.
If you tanks big enough you should be able to house more than one. And I wouldn't house a dragon with a gecko

Hope that helps

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i wouldn't house them together, and i would also get the gecko they take less room and there for are less expensive and space consuming for a first time pet owner i also think they have a shorter life span.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I also started looking at the Chinese Water Dragon . I think It would be asome to have one of those
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

I would either go with a couple of geckos, or a bearded dragon. I wouldn't mix species.

Personally I would choose a bearded dragon because they can be so friendly and I like that they get bigger. But I think that a couple of leopard geckos would be cool too.

Good luck deciding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Can I house a Leo and a Fat-Tailed Gecko together? I have seen one person that did that and they were fine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Hello Earthling

If your new to reptiles - you should try and stick with something easy, and start with one species. (i.e. don't mix)

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Alright Ill do that. My grandfather has a Ball Python. SO IM new as in this is my first pet
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Hello Earthling

Alright , I hope you find the right pet for you. and be sure to tell us all.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Playful Pup

Beardie Dragon, I have one and it is my favorite pet in my life. They are so cute as babies, get a female, as they get 18 inches or 20. Mine is currently like 1 year and 7 months or so. It is in a 45 or 50 gallon, but I think you should get one dragon in a 40, that is small but enough. If you want to get 2 Dragons, you can do 40, but make sure you have extra basking spots and lights, if you get a male/female, don't as males sexually mature in 6 months, while a female takes 3 years. So if the male gets horny, it wont be good for the female.
Get a beardie, there are cool morphs, and love to be held and have baths.

1 Bearded Dragon
3 Red Eared Sliders
1 Rabbit
2 Goldfish
4 Hermit Crabs
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have owned all three and...

I would say go with the leopard gecko or crested gecko. Contrary to a previous post they actually live quite a lot longer than bearded dragons. They also take less space and less money to care for and feed. I love Leopard geckos, but for a first time I would recommend a crested, they may be more expensive to buy initially but they don't require supplemental heating or lights, they don't take a lot of space, they're cheaper to feed because they don't need as much live food, and they're not prone to as many health problems.

In my opinion you should never ever house a leopard gecko with another species. You can't even put two male leos together. Leos are notoriously aggressive and have a tendency to pick fights. It would be fine to put multiple females together with one male if you had a large enough enclosure and enough food. Always best to start simple with one or two of something though.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

I just decided to get some Leos. I havent gotten them yet
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Get one not some. Reptiles are very different from other pets, only having one at first will make it easier to make sure that the leo is eating well, pooing well, etc. Then when you're comfortable with that one and you know what's normal for a leo you can get another one. Make sure you have enough space and never put two males together. Also before you put two together you should quarantine for 4-6 weeks to make sure you're not introducing diseases.

Tags
ball python, bearded dragon, bearded dragons, chinese water dragon, crested gecko, leopard gecko, males together, pet owner