I Think My Gecko is Too Fat?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

I Think My Gecko is Too Fat?!

I think my Leopard Gecko is too fat cuz she's waddling. :X Is she too fat if she waddles? She's about 8months old and her belly is the size of a normal female teen's thumb...
should i put her on a diet? xD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM
is a little "special"

Any pictures? It's easier to tell by looking at them. They have different body types too... My 10 month old female is healthy at about 60 grams, and my male is 92 grams and he isn't obese.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 07:49 PM
It's all for them

Goodness I never thought about herps being overweight. I think I just assumed they would self regulate. How interesting!

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i wouldn't think she would be too fat. what do you feed, how much and how often.

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

An 8 month old leopard gecko isn't too terribly likely to be overweight. At that age, they're still eating as much as they want every day, and that's their normal food intake.

When you say 'waddling', what do you mean? I want to be sure you aren't describing a locomotion problem that could be a sign of a serious illness or nutritional deficiency.

Leopard geckos store fat in their tails. The gecko's tail would be wider than her body if she was overweight.

Yes, reptiles CAN become obese, and some species are more prone to it than others. Obesity can be an issue in bearded dragons, monitor lizards, many snakes, etc. It's less common in leopard geckos due to the way they store fat, and the fact that they are a desert species designed for extremes of food availability.

When it does occur, obesity is very dangerous for reptiles, as fat can collect in and on their organs, leading to death. The young of many reptiles are designed to take full advantage of available food to grow rapidly, and thus really can't become obese--adults, on the other hand, may. (There are exceptions--overfeeding young boa constrictors can lead to serious health problems, for example).

Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 05-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

Ebony (1).jpg
here is a top picture of her... hope it gives you a good idea of how her weight and such is

Last edited by HomeworkCrazy; 05-20-2012 at 03:17 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Adolescent Pup

She's on the lean side. Not too concerning for a juvenile (looks acceptable), but she could use more tail fat, if she'll eat more. Are you dusting her insects with a calcium containing vitamin D3?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

i was originally just using a multivitamin but hopefully i will get my calcium supplements this week and i'll start on the dustings... i hope i'm not too late
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Friend to All Animals

she has picked up weight now after proper supplementing

~ Proud mommy of rabbits, rodents, and a dog ~

Tags
fat, leoaprd gecko, waddling