Igauna? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Igauna?

My friend heard of a ignana(sp?) that is getting neglected, so she is hoping to adopt it. However, neither of us know anything about reptiles. Info please?

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

How about your friend and you go get a book or research on the internet? There are tons and tons of websites dedicated to iguana care. Also, iguana grow to be huge and need lots and lots of care. They are not suited to be pets, especially not one for a child.
Since iguanas are very big, or will grow to be big, they need a lot of room. Such a cage is not cheap.

Here are just a few links I could find:

http://my.pclink.com/~dkelley/igcare.htm

http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/icfs/

http://www.iguanaden.com/main.htm
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Yes, iguanas are not for begginers. There's a lot involved on their care. anapsid.com (teh second link Natalie gave you) is the best place to start, but you should do a lot of research and talk to a lot of keepers before taking the step of adopting an iguana. Maybe your friend could help place the iguana in a good home, and if she wants to start with lizard-keeping and rescues, look into reptiles that are easier to keep, and start there, then work her way up into more complicated lizards, and participate in iguana rescuing, which is very needed, because most of the iguanas sold are not properly cared for and die within the first year of age.

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

This poor fellow never gets attention, and he is sometimes not even fed. So I think he just needs a home. However, I'm collecting sites for her. If it doesn't work out, what other reptile would you suggest? Her parents don't feel comfortable with a snake.

They are getting rid of the iguana, along with his huge cage, and other suppiles.

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

No reptile is easy to care for. They all need specific humidity and air temperatures with proper nutrients and vitamins and vet care. One of the not as complex lizards would have to be a gecko if I am not mistaken, yet they eat crickets, not fruits like iguanas, I think.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Yup, Natalie, leopard geckos are kinda like the "starter" lizards. They need certain temps., but no UV lightning like most reptiles. There are a lot of different geckos and they all have different requirements. I've read that bearded dragons are also good starter lizards, but they are more complex to take care for, and need a larger enclosure than a leo.

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I wanted to refrain from using the term "starter" pet just because certain people, certainly not you, think that it makes this animal less important or what not. But yes, I gecko is a good intro to the reptile world. My friend got a leo as her first gecko and she has had tremendous success.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I wanted to refrain from using the term "starter" pet just because certain people, certainly not you, think that it makes this animal less important or what not.
That's precisely what happens with iguanas... they are so cheap, you can get one at a pet store for $5... then what do people think of a pet that they can get for $5? It attracts also the wrong kind of people, you know, the people that want a cool pet for cheap... That's why they are usually neglected, and when people buy a 4-5 inch long ig, they usually don't expect it to grow 6 feet long... Now, leos and bearded dragons are a lot more expensive... leos ranging on $25 upwards and beardies on $125+, even if their care is fairly easier than that of the iguana.

Dimaris

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, I agree with everyone here. An iguana is one of the worst possible choices for someone who's new to keeping reptiles. I wish they required permits to own. About 90% of captive green iguanas die in their first year due to improper care. However, I highly recommend you check out this site:

http://www.iguanacenter.com

I personally know most of the people there. Its an excellent forum for people interested in these lizards.

Hey, it's better than Slimyfeathery, right?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you VERY much for the information guys. I'll talk to her about this.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Newborn Pup

Another good website in case you still might need it is: http://www.greenigsociety.org

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, leopard gecko, pet store, vet care