Iguana barely eating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Iguana barely eating

For the past few days, my iguana has really slowed down on his eating. He usually eats until it looks like his belly would burst if he ate any more. Now he's just eating a bite or two each morning.

We're unsure if his exact age but he's getting close to 2 years old. His enclosure is huge and we monitor the heat and humidity closely (it has been normal). Nothing in his environment has changed, to my knowledge. His diet is good (at least I think so): a base of collards or dandelion greens with a mixture of whatever other things we picked up that day (butternut squash, green beans, mango, papaya, parsnip, snap peas, shredded sweet potato, baby tomato, etc). He gets fed usually in the morning (as much as he can eat) and then we put some more in later if he's waiting at his bowl.

Could it be just a change because of the seasons? I know mature iguanas don't always have to eat every day. Could it be that? He seems fine still. Loves to be petted, very active. He's looking maybe a shade darker than usual and the skin on his chest looks a bit loose but not anything I would be alarmed about if I saw it under normal circumstances.

I'm just not sure why he isn't eating much. Later I'll probably try a little piece of banana (his favorite, he doesn't get it very often) and see what he does. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Herp Nerd

For my iguanas it is pretty normal for them to slow down a bit in the winter months, but I usually notice a drop in their appetite near the middle of October that doesn't pick up again until spring. The amount they'll eat in a sitting varies greatly though. Sometimes it's no more than a mouthful or two and other days they'll finish the plate.

I'd keep an eye on him, maybe give him a good warm bath to make sure he poops - a little bit of constipation or even a touch of dehydration could have him not feeling much like eating.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
For my iguanas it is pretty normal for them to slow down a bit in the winter months, but I usually notice a drop in their appetite near the middle of October that doesn't pick up again until spring. The amount they'll eat in a sitting varies greatly though. Sometimes it's no more than a mouthful or two and other days they'll finish the plate.

I'd keep an eye on him, maybe give him a good warm bath to make sure he poops - a little bit of constipation or even a touch of dehydration could have him not feeling much like eating.
Thanks I was thinking that it could be constipation but he went today (looked like his normal amount). The thing is, he pooped on his hammock - which he never does (he generally goes in the same spot). I'm not sure what to think of that. His belly is looking a bit sunken in tonight but I'm not sure if that's just from eating less (I'm used to seeing his belly so full of food). I watched him eat a few mouthfuls earlier so at least he's taking in something. I guess I'll just keep an eye on him for now. I always worry that something's wrong with him though, lol.

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

I don't know if anyone will read this but I need some more help. The iguana is still not eating normally (but is eating a couple bites a day). He's been SERIOUSLY trying to escape his enclosure. He spends almost every waking moment trying to get out. I always thought that trying to escape meant something was wrong with their enclosure but I really can't think of anything. His enclosure is massive, good temp and humidity, all the right lights. I just don't know what his problem is. Could it be a mating thing? We're pretty sure he's a male and he's sort of in the adolescent stage. I'm just worried because we're going away for Christmas next week and leaving him in the care of someone else (who will be coming to our home to care for him) and I just don't want him escaping or getting sick while we're gone.

Owned by:

Special Pets in Heaven:

Tags
dandelion greens