Iguana eating poop? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Iguana eating poop?

Just recently (in the past week) I've noticed that my iguana has been eating his own poop. He's a young iguana and hasn't seemed inclined to this behavior before. I researched it on the Internet and got conflicting opinions. Some people say that this is something to worry about and I should take him to a vet, some say it's typical juvenile iguana behavior (like "poop painting" and "poop surfing", neither of which this iguana has done). It was suggested that young iguanas might do this if they're angry or upset but nothing has been changed in his environment recently. He's definitely growing though.

Anyone know what this means? Should I take him to vet or is this just a normal thing?

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 PM

mine did that too, maybe it isnt getting fed enough of it mistakes it for food...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Thumbs up Yup, mine eats poop, too!

I've had my ig for about a week now, ands very exciting... and has a healthy appetite, too! she always eats most of the things i give her (not too keen on carrots, but i still try). She shows no signs of being sick or unhealthy either.

Well, I'd thought i'd seen it all today. After she'd ate (mustard greens & carrots) I looked at her and she had a piece of poop stuck to the side of her mouth. I thought it got stuck there on accident some how, until I glanced at her in the moment that she was chompin away. Disgusted & nearly losing my breakfast, i made a run for the other room. I hopped online to check out what the heck her malfunction was. Then I remembered reading a book and saying that baby iguanas are known to eats the poop of there parents due the big lugs eatin all the food...
so I think it's pretty normal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

mine doesn't he thinks his poop is icky.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I don't know if it applies to iguanas, but I have rats and I know that sometimes they eat their poop, because it contains vitimin k. so if you want to know I think that is the reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Tags
mustard greens