Iguana health issue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Iguana health issue

Hello guys, im new to the forums, i ran into it while searching for some answer for my iguana, Larry, considering its health...Forgive me about all this "essay" but i tried to analyse my problem as much as i could

I have my iguana 2 and a half years now...
Everything started when i changed the type of the small pieces of wood that i had for his 'floor' to step on a week ago...He seemed kinda stressed and he didnt walk on it properly like he walked on previous type..

As the days went on, he started walking on it felling more relaxed. But now his back has started turning yellow, he is a bit off balanced and his moves are like a person who has neurological problems...he sleeps much more than usual and he seemed to poo only the white-part of his, erm...poo :p but i consider this is because he hasnt eaten anything for 3 days now... I tried feeding him the dehydrated food they sell on stores espacially for iguanas and he seems to eat some of that...

i gave him a warm bath the 2nd day i saw this problem and when he entered the tank, he drank a load of water both from his nose and mouth(bubbles coming out!!)truth be said i dont have water for him in his cage but i do give him a bath very often and this never was a problem..

considering its diet i feed him mostly lettuce and usually i give him carrots and cuccumber...i often give him some green peppers (not the hot ones!) and rarely some bananas... I dont have a light in his cage but i keep him near the window and when the weather is nice i take him out with his cage and i leave half of it in the sun and half in shadow...I rarely let him loose at home because he poops in places i dont want to.!(yea my iguana only sometimes does poop in bath!)

oh yea i noticed a strange oddour from his poop..And now that im typing this post, he has laid down on the cage floor (like dogs) and he is just looking around... i feel like he has accepted his death and just waits for it... im also very depressed right now...The vets in my city know nothing about iguanas -.-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

you may want to consider traveling a little farther out of the city for a vet who may know, more about reptiles. if you dont mind me asking whats his tempature in his terrium, and what is his diet like ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

erm its temprature is around 25-28 degrees and his diet is mostly lettuce, twice a week i give him cuccumber or carrots or green pepper and around once a month i give him bananas. i often use calcium on top of the food in the form of dust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

it sounds like your tempature maybe to low for it.
heres a link i found that should help you, i dont personally own an iguana, hope this helps
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/igdom/care.html

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i have read quite many guides and helpful tips for raising an iguana and try my best not to skip or miss anything... :/ i think ill take him to a vet although i cant rly afford it at the moment
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Resident Zoologist

I would suggest a vet....although I can attempt to help you here, I really cannot do a lot online, and cannot use any diagnostic equipment nor even a physical examination.

Initially, your diet is not bad, but could use greater variety. What sort of lettuce are you feeding?

You should be aware that virtually no UV light makes it through window glass, so putting your iguana near a window is really doing very little for him. Depending on how often he gets outside, and for how long, he may have some issues resulting from a lack of UVB, which some of his symptoms would seem to indicate....but you would need a vet to test him to confirm this, and to treat it.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 AM
is a little "special"

Lettuce doesn't have much nutrients. I would suggest greens that have more nutrition and calcium like collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, ect.

You REALLY need to get a UVB light too. UVB rays can't penetrate glass, so he isn't getting any UVB from the window what so ever. Getting the proper lighting should help a ton with his appetite too. I love the ReptiSun brand UVB lights, they are the best ones that you can buy right now.

Also, what kind of wood chips is he on? Keep in mind that pine, cedar, and any redwoods are toxic to reptiles.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Whoa, you need to do a total overhaul.

Take the wood chips out, NOW. It sounds like he is constipated. He could be impacted from the woodchips. They clog them up.

Temps need to be 92-95 in the basking point. Any type of tank is too small for an iguana, they need at a minimum 4 foot by 4 foot by 4 foot.

Stop with the lettuce and cucumbers, those are basically water. Change to mustard greens turnip greens and collard greens.

Get some plain canned pumpkin, hopefully that will help unclog him but he may need surgery and xrays.

The green peppers are good, feed more often you can give hotter peppers as well they like them, jalepinos.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
Whoa, you need to do a total overhaul.
No, not really.

Quote:
Take the wood chips out, NOW. It sounds like he is constipated. He could be impacted from the woodchips. They clog them up.
It depends on the woodchips, but it is unlikely, as is the constipation. Incidentally, if ingestion of non-digestible items is the issue, it would be impaction, not constipation...they are two different things.

Quote:
Temps need to be 92-95 in the basking point. Any type of tank is too small for an iguana, they need at a minimum 4 foot by 4 foot by 4 foot.
They need more than that, and seeing as there are many tanks that are larger than that, you may wish to have the facts, first...we are, after all, on a fact-finding mission here, so that we can better assess the situation before making recommendations.

Quote:
Stop with the lettuce and cucumbers, those are basically water. Change to mustard greens turnip greens and collard greens.
Again, some lettuce types have a decent amount of nutrition as part of an iguanid diet, but it depends on what sort she is using.

Quote:
Get some plain canned pumpkin, hopefully that will help unclog him but he may need surgery and xrays.
Again, jumping the gun before the facts we need for a decent assessment...it is unlikely that there is any constipation here...more likely a partial impaction coupled with early MBD, but again, too early to say.

Aquarist since 1971

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

im gonna take him to a vet tomorrow i hope he gets well...The wood chips i bought were from a pet shop in a bag that had an iguana picture on it saying proper for reptiles etc...Considering the lights, seems i have to buy a uv light, but to be honest i thought just watching the daylight was okay (like plants, dont laugh about it :p) i didnt want to put him on direct sunlight inside the cage since its made of glass and i thought he might suffocate...

but im quite sure that those d a m n chips did that to my poor Larry...I'll be more carefull from now on
despite a couple of comments that made me more anxious about his health, my hopes are up! Larry is a tough guy!! I'll post some pictures when he gets better to see my big boy
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Resident Zoologist

So, firstly, we really need more info....

1. Tell us more about his caging.

2. These 'wood chips'...what brand and type are they?

3. What sort of lettuce are you using in his diet?

4. You said that you have had Larry for 2 years...how old/big was he when you got him, and how big is he now?

5. Do you know for certain that he is male or female?

Aquarist since 1971

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Good luck

By Anonymous
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
So, firstly, we really need more info....

1. Tell us more about his caging.

2. These 'wood chips'...what brand and type are they?

3. What sort of lettuce are you using in his diet?

4. You said that you have had Larry for 2 years...how old/big was he when you got him, and how big is he now?

5. Do you know for certain that he is male or female?

erm... his cage is made of glass and has marble on bottom..Its kinda small for his size but he has room to walk around...I also have a big wood stick so that he can climb and sit on it, or even hide behind it..The cage is not a problem (for now) but im gonna make a bigger one from metal (you know, the ones they use to keep dogs inside in pet shops, looks more like a prison) This way it will be easier to clean the poop from it or change the wood chips...And it will be easier to make a more proper enviroment with more stuff inside to climb on etc...Could you give me any ideas about making him a new cage?My idea is kinda general, i dont even know where to find the materials to make it (hehe lol) but i really dont want to buy it ready (and afford it too)

About the wood chips i used... i dont really remember the brand and the type of wood since i threw away the bag, but its a red-dark brown type of wood...

about the lettuce..i cant post pictures i need 20 posts or more hehe..i use the normal lettuce we put in our salad
and the other one that has more curves..Im sorry i really cant describe them more!!

when i got him he was smaller than my palm, the employee from pet shop told me it was around 2 months old.. And now he is about 30cm without his tail and 70cm with his tail

and yes i know for sure he is a male,the spikes on his back are growing biger along with him and his jewels start getting bigger too...!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroukos View Post
erm... his cage is made of glass and has marble on bottom..Its kinda small for his size
It is actually really far too small....at his current size, he should be in something that is no smaller than 200cm x 120 cm x 200cm.

Quote:
but im gonna make a bigger one from metal (you know, the ones they use to keep dogs inside in pet shops,
Have you considered how that will maintain humidity, and how to keep it from rusting? As well, you are going to want one that is no less than 250cm long, 180cm wide, and 225cm tall...I genuinely doubt that you will find a dog crate even approaching that size.

Quote:
About the wood chips i used... i dont really remember the brand and the type of wood since i threw away the bag, but its a red-dark brown type of wood...
If it was not cypress mulch, it should not be used....cypress mulch is red/dark-brown, but so are a lot of other woods...some naturally so, some dyed.

Quote:
about the lettuce..i cant post pictures i need 20 posts or more hehe..i use the normal lettuce we put in our salad
and the other one that has more curves..Im sorry i really cant describe them more!!
The fact that you do not know what sort of lettuce you are feeding concerns me a great deal....your knowledge and care on the diet your iguana is getting is lacking terribly. The only lettuces that you should ever include in his diet are red leaf, romaine, oak leaf, and endive...and he should have other greens, like dandelion leaves (organic, NOT from your lawn), collards, etc...and there are some that you must avoid, like spinach and kale.

Quote:
when i got him he was smaller than my palm, the employee from pet shop told me it was around 2 months old.. And now he is about 30cm without his tail and 70cm with his tail
He is a bit small for his age...possibly due to poor diet and a lack of proper UVB lighting.

Quote:
and yes i know for sure he is a male,the spikes on his back are growing biger along with him and his jewels start getting bigger too...!
Apparent secondary sexual characteristics do not a positive gender identity make, but it is a start.

Have you ever seen Hatfield's iguana manual? If not, order it straightaway, and read it...every page, front to back...something you should have done 2 years ago.

http://www.amazon.ca/Green-Iguana-Ul.../dp/1883463483

Iguanas are not easy to keep well, and in the 17 years that I have run my rescue I have dealt with hundreds that have suffered from improper care.

Aquarist since 1971

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
is a little "special"

Are you feeding him any of these?

Lettuce 1:

Lettuce 2:

Lettuce 3:

Lettuce 4:

Lettuce 5:

If you want your iggy to survive much longer, you REALLY need ot follow the adice given to you, and change your set up ASAP. If you can't afford a proper set up, you should rehome your iguana to someone who can.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
iguana health issue