introducing new leopard geckos.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

introducing new leopard geckos....

i have one leopard gecko right now, and ive had him for about 3 months. i tried to sex him, and i gather it's indeed a "him" due to the bulge at the base of his tail.

anyway, i was wondering if anyone had ideas on how/when/should i/can i introduce new geckos into my tank. i heard that you can have 2-3 females and a male in a 20 gal tank (mines 20 gal long). i wanted to try breeding my gecko, but i know they have to be a certain age.

also, does anyone have any interesting gecko food ideas?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gecko2.jpg (49.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg gecko1.jpg (47.4 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't know anything about geckos but I just wanted to comment that he/she is very neat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Are you planning to breed? Because geckos really tend to do better alone..

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 06:47 PM

Glad to have you join PT and especially the Reptile Forum.

Your Leopard Gecko is very handsome. I don't have personal experience breeding LG's but I have tried breeding lizards. I highly reccommend doing a lot of research. Buy a book that is breed specific for LG's. Do a search on the internet for LG's and compare the information you get. Then after doing your research make an educated decision about housing multiple geckos and breeding.

I just did a brief search and came across this site that looks fairly comprehensive.
http://www.geocities.com/pama81/Leopardgecko1.html

Melissa Kaplan is also very knowledgeable in reptile animal husbandry. Here is a link to here site.
http://www.anapsid.org/mainlizards.html

Please keep in touch and let us know how your little guy is doing and what you plan to do in the future.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks. i wanted to try breeding when he gets old enough, probably next summer because i'm going to college in august. if i was going to breed, i'd set up another tank or two so they don't get too stressed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:39 PM

when they are old enough they will breed on thier own yes a male should have two females they are very happy that way , and now would be the time to introduce them to each other , i have two males and 4 females afts and 2 females and one male leapard and all are very happy .again they wont breed until they are old enough and make sure they eat ,also when its breeding season in novemebr and december you would need to remove the two females into another tank , they will have 5 cliutches and then wait for about two months before putting them back with the male other wise the females wont get enough rest, usually lay from jan to june and then hybernate thats when you put them back together ,

Last edited by sunshine; 05-01-2004 at 11:42 PM.

Tags
breeding season, leopard gecko