Just got my first Leo =D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Just got my first Leo =D

I got my frist leopard gecko tonight, i was meeting a friend at the petstore and spotted a sign saying they had a baby leo for half price because it lost its tale (the other geckos were picking on it poor baby) and i saw her in the corner of the tank and couldnt resist =D i already had teh tank and a heat lamp and so on so i scooped her up got food and dishes and hides for her (they didnt have the good substrate left so i ordered some and am using papertowel for the next few days) anyway since its to small to know if its a boy or girl im going back and forth on how i refer to it lol XD its name is Ickis! =o ive had lizards before and have been reading about leos but i was wondering anyone might have some advice for this noom to leos =p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats!

Leo's are generally pretty easy to care for as far as reptiles go. What did you order for sub-straight? Especially for young leo's, it's best not to use any particle sub-straight and instead use something like reptile carpet, paper towels, or tiles. I use tiles because I can get them cheap at our local hardware store, I think they look nice, they are easy to clean, and they hold in the heat well from my under tank heater.

Leo's don't need heat lamps. You can use it if you want, but most gecko owners I know (myself included) use under tank heaters.

His/her tail should grow back eventually

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks =D
I orderd some vita sand but i can have them cancel the orde n just get something else =o i have papertowel in the tank for now, Ickis is sleeping under it its so cute =D and i put a heating pad under the tank last night to kepe it warm where i dont sleep till around 8am i would leave it on low for about 15 minutes till the bottom of the tank felt slightly warm then turn it off for a wile so i wouldnt over heat it. Ill be getting a real under tank heater friday when they have more of the small ones in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I wouldn't use the sand - if the lizards eat too much of it it can cause problems.

For my lizards I use a under tank heater (UTH) and a thermostat. It works well - the thermostat has a probe that goes into the tank and takes the temperature, then you can set and control the UTH to maintain the correct temperatures. That way the thermostat controls the temperatures and you don't have to worry so much about the tank overheating.

Temperatures for leopard geckos should be around 88*f on the warm side of the tank, and the cool side should be about 75*f.

Make sure to have a least 3 hides for the gecko, more if you want. But you should have at least one on the hot side, one on the cool side, and a humid hide to help with shedding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yeah i was reading i should put moss in the humid one =o do i need to buy the stuff from the store or can i go get some moss from behind my house and use that?
about what did the uth and thermostat cost you?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

I would buy the moss, just because most people use a certain kind of moss (spagnum moss) and if you get it from outside you don't know if you could be introducing bugs/bacteria into your gecko's habitat. You actually don't have to use moss though - you can just use moist paper towels if you want.

UTH's and thermostats vary price wise. I've had mine for awhile so I don't really remember what I paid. I think, if I remember correctly, that I paid between $20 and $30 for one UTH. Thermostats can be expensive, you should be able to get an okay one for maybe around $30? They can get really expensive though...like hundreds of $$. I got a cheaper one - it doesn't keep the exact temperature I set it too but it doesn't vary too much - only up to a few degrees at most which is fine for my purposes.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ill probably got with the damp paper towel then =o i looked on petco and petsmarts websites and thermostats are expensive lol ill have to wait till next time my sister "rents" my car for a week to buy one =o but im getting a under tank heater friday and im gonna look into getting tile =D it sounds cool and i want the tank to be pretty =o when i had anoles my mom glued these little pink stones to the outside of the back of the tank and it was the coolest tank ever =( but it broke when my sister dropped it after my last anole died in high school
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
is a little "special"

Here's a Rheostat I was thinking of getting for my beardie. (I'm pretty sure they are the same as thermostats?)

http://www.petmountain.com/product/t...-rheostat.html

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Aw that's too bad it broke. I bet you can make the new gecko tank look awesome though. I love setting up my gecko tanks and trying to make them look really nice. You should post pictures of your tank and gecko when you can!

You should be able to get cheap thermometers at the pet store to tell the temperature in the tank, just to monitor the temperatures for now until you can get a thermostat.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Rheostat's aren't exactly the same as thermostats, but they are usually cheaper and can be used to control temperatures too. I think rheostat's are what people who use heat lights use?

I like thermostats more with UTH's because with a thermostat, you just set the temperature you want the tank to be and the thermostat does all the work of maintaining the correct temperatures. Rheostat's are basically what people use as light dimmers...they control the amount of power going to the heat source. You have to adjust the rheostats to maintain the proper temperature and will need to readjust once in awhile according to the temperature in the room - they don't maintain a set temperature, they just maintain a set amount of power going to your heat source.

With a thermostat, you don't have to worry about adjusting them even if the air temperature in the room changes.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 04-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, OK thanks Michelle. I didn't know there was a difference, it makes sense why Rheostats are so much cheaper now LOL.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well i have one of thouse liquid crystal thermomiters in it =o it seems to work pretty well to track the temp. I love my little jurry rig i have going right now =D i use a energy savor heating pad under tha tank on low at night it keeps the tank at a nice 82 degrees on the warm end where i like to keep my room about 65 at night when im sleeping. and during the day i use the heat lamp over the warm end of the tank and it keeps that end about 86-88 degrees and the cool end stays about room temp.
Im thinking of geting some of the glass paint that makes it look like stained glass and paint the outside of the back of the tank eventualy.
Im attempting to attach a picture of Ickis =o hope it worksp_00424.jpg
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 PM
is a little "special"

Cute! I love her little stub butt!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

lol yeah my friend maggy calls her acorn butt XD i think her nub of a tale is cute =p hopefuly itll grow back soon now that she doesnt have to shair food with 7 other geckos =D she ate last night without me having to put the food infront of her! she didnt eat monday night or tuesday so wednesday i took a mealworm out of the dish and out it infront of her and she dove on it =o she ended up eating 8 of them that night. last night she ate 3 crickets and 4 meal worms =D
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

Your gecko is adorable.

I used to have leos...they are a great little lizard for beginners. I would like another one eventually.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
baby, leopard gecko