Kermit is driving me mad. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kermit is driving me mad.

All around kermit is driving me bonkers, she's refused to eat much the last few days... she is hyper though it's like she hasn't the time to eat. Climbing around everything..

Well all this time exploring the cage must have found a spot she can fit though because I checked on her this morning and she's lazy as can be on top of her cage. GAHHH! I go in her cage, look around all the levels, look around the outside of the cage, and I can't find anything!

I decided hmm, maybe she is going to lay eggs, so I gave her her nesting box and hopefully that's it... however she doesn't seem to be looking for a box; she appears to be looking for ways to drive me crazy.

This week she has--

Bathed in pumpkin, walked around the cage, and then threw the pumpkin everywhere.

Poo painted the WHOLE bottom.

Gotten out.

Tail swatted water during her bath to make me into a drowned rat.

However, she isn't upset, she isn't mad at me at all, I can handle her the same as before... not poofing up at me, not tail whipping or threatoning.

And I SWEAR her nails grew into razor blades... I cut them TWO days ago... and held her yesterday and didn't get any scratches.. now I have 3 cuts that look like I don't know how to control a knife.

*tears Hair out*

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

She went through a time where she was an angel, for MONTHS, and now...

I need to get her a different box... the one I have now is just a litter tray. Last year I had 2 paper litter trays to form a box with coco fiber in it with a hole the size for her to get in and out of, but she reabsorbed her eggs I guess. I haven't ever gone through the egg thing before. She's is just about 3 now, 12ish inches snout to vent.

I'm going to read the egg section of the iguana manual AGAIN now.

I am so nervous...

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well she spent her early morning killing her cage. She moved her food dishes to the other side of the cage, she threw her kitty kabana down to the floor she took 1/2 the dirt stuff out of her nesting box and on to the WHOLE bottom of the cage... she was busy.

However, it looked like she may have picked at her food, and has been scratching in the box so maybe it is what she needs.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh, wow, good luck. I don't know much about lizards, but I guess it sounds reasonable that she could be getting ready to lay eggs. At least she is still being nice to you.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I know! Males have very bad mating seasons.. and i read that they can last up to 18 MONTHS thats a year and a half! one heck of a mating season but normally after their first one they are better behaved. The males can attack the people they like and become very... impish. heh. I am glad she is still nice.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww bless her i hope she either lays eggs or starts behaving soon lol xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 07:07 AM

Good luck! I hope she calms down a wee bit but at least she is still nice to you and as long as it´s only her cage she wants to kill all is good.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I heard it could be a long while before she lays eggs too and this will only increase.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kermit Looks God Awful

She hasn't eaten much in a week or a little more (8 days i believe)

And she looks awful, her ribs are all showing, her pelvis is showing but her tummy is big, and she is bright green still. I am now positive it is breeding season at my house for my ig. She is so restless, and i feel horrible.

I can't do anything for her. I am still offering a little food for her that she picks at, at most. I feel bad giving her food knowing her eggs are making it impossible to eat. I just read the section on eggs in my iguana book and it says it could last 3-6 WEEKS before she lays eggs and eats again.. i hope it is less.

So much of my iguana life has been so easy, she is such an easy keeper and is super sweet now. I am afraid of picking her up in fear of breaking an egg. I'm worried about her calcium because she isn't eating and i don't put powder on her food.

Everything i read says she is doing normal if not better than normal. I have never gone through this though.

I'm worried about her getting dehydrated as 90% of their water is from food i am misting her more now, and she has water available at all times.

I haven't cleaned her cage as she has thrown dirt everywhere and i don't want to stress her if she is putting it where she wants.

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm sorry, that must be so stressful! You are doing what you can for her. I hope everything will be ok.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM

you're doing what you can just keep the misting going. i think there is even LIQUID calcium that you can add to her water (i used to own 2 green Chinese water dragons and went thru the annoying egg thing! gah! it's really stressful. give her lots of water soaks too )
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Herp Nerd

When my iguana started doing t he same things, I bought two of the largest litter boxes I could find, turned one over on top of the other, and taped them together. Then I filled the bottom one with a mix of sphagnum moss, play sand and organic potting soil and put the whole thing on top of a heating pad. It didn't take long for her to go in and start digging around. Having it dark in there gave her some privacy, and having it fully enclosed stopped her from throwing the dirt around.

I would recommend taking her to a vet, especially if she's losing some weight. Just to make sure everything in there is working properly. Calcium deficiency and egg binding are very real fears, even in an otherwise healthy seeming iguana. The vet should be able to do a simple x-ray to have a look and see that things are developing normally. Another visit after she lays isn't a bad idea either, to make sure there's nothing still left behind in there.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Everything is going smoothly, she is digging around, my iguana forum friends say that my luck she will lay in her kitty kabana, where she feels comfiest.

She is loosing weight but that is normal, as she has no room for her stomach to eat anything.

She has her own room that is completely private, and she refuses to go in hides so her box is open, she has been digging a lot.

Everyone on my iguana forum, which is a lot of iguana rescue people, and people that have 30 years of experience say not to worry about her yet, everything is going right.

They said unless she is turning dark colors, refusing to move much, and becoming less active then not to worry about a vet trip yet.

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Please keep us updated...I hope everything turns out for the better soon enough
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Aww poor Kermit, or poor you rather! I hope she lays those eggs and gets back to her normal sweet self soon. Is it normal for them not to eat at all? 3-6 weeks seems like such a long time. I hope everything goes ok.

My Furry Family

Tags
iguana, nesting