kermit or kerma?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

kermit or kerma?!

I have had my iguana for 6 months now. And i am not sure if it is a he, or a she. I think it is about a year old.. based on the size he was when i got him him i think he was about 6 months old.

I was wondering when the femonal pores start to be more noticeable- i can see his... but they are small but i don't have a few to compare and even if i did i don't know how old he is exactly.

or when his face plates and head start growing more.. his spikes are growing but i have none to compaire with.

He is growing really quickly... he has shed 6 or 7 times in the last 6 months... and has changed alot in looks.

I am wishing him a boy right now hence the name kermit. (i don't want to deal with her getting egg bound)

and i don't want to get it probbed because it sounds like it wouldnt be comfortable.. sence i can just wait it out... i don't wanna though haha

any help would be nice

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 AM

Sexing Iguanas. How to determine a Iguanas sex. Do I have a male or female iguana?

That link also shows pics if you scroll down =]
Hope it helped a bit.

[Edit] This link too: Sexuality and Reproduction of the Green Iguana

The first link has pics for comparison,go with that

Last edited by candyraver; 06-27-2007 at 02:54 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

see they compair but they don't say the age that those iguana's are. arg! I can see mines femonal pores they are bigger than pin pricks i think but not by much but he doesnt have the fatty stuff on his head. but he's still a baby so idk if he should have it yet.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Iguanas I think reach sexual maturity at about 18 months, or 1 and a half years of age - but some can take longer, maybe around 2 or so, and it can sometimes be sooner.

The sex usually can't be determined acuratly until the animal reaches sexual maturity.

If your guy/gal is only 6 months old, chances are he/she hasn't reached sexual maturity yet so you might have to wait awhile longer to know for sure.

I miss my iguana...

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 AM

I agree w/Dragonrain and you should wait until AT LEAST your iggy is 1 year or more...breeders are pretty good at sexing them of course so if you have a breeder near by take some pix to him/her or you can go to a reptile forum (which will get you lots of 'opinions' ).

My Waterdragons were hard to sex...each week it seemed i had a diff. guess....then one day i just 'knew' because it became more obvious than pix could provide.

patience
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Herp Nerd

The word is "femoral", meaning "on the femur".

I'm not aware of any iguana breeders in the US to consult, there's just no money in it. They are almost exclusively farm bred in El Salvador and Costa Rica and imported by the thousands.

Probing for gender is not harmful or painful in any way, if done correctly. Aside from the general dislike of most animals in being pinned down and having a cold metal probe pushed into their backside.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i just don't trust anyone to do it correctly hehe. I don't know of any super good vets or anyone else with iguana's to ask them.

he is about 1 year old now. and i don't want to cause him the discomfort i don't have to know yet.

[/CENTER]