leo cage setup - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

leo cage setup

i have had me two geckos for about 4 years now and their cage setup has been the same for those 4 years...i moved some stuff around occasionaly but i want to chance everything. anyone got any ideas? i have a 50 gannlon tank please leave suggestions and pictures of ur own set ups =D

THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

you could use a different substrate add plastic plants(do you have a lizard hammock or backround?)rocks new hides maybe from a petstore...... http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/IMG_0341.jpg http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/IMG_0346.jpg

i have lots of babies.....so i just wont list them at the moment but ill eventually put pics here...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stop rattlesnake roundups!! join neopets.com!!!
STOP impaction and bacterial infections in leopard geckos and bearded dragons!! it can be prevented! use solid substrates like tile,newspaper,slate,shelfliner,newspaper,or reptile carpet...save a reptiles life! there may only be a 10-50 percent chance of them getting inpacted but why take that chance??????
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

nicee i like ur cage set up that is tile rite? do u have any problem with the tile heating from ur heat mat(if u have one) and also how do u get tile into ur cage do u cut it to make it the appropriate size?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

Cool

yeah ceramic not the slippery kind though.....i have no problem heating the warm side with a heat pad and a thermostat to control temps....i didnt cut the tile my 20g tank is 12 inches in depth wich is usually the same size as normal sized tile pieces.....

i have lots of babies.....so i just wont list them at the moment but ill eventually put pics here...
STOP impaction and bacterial infections in leopard geckos and bearded dragons!! it can be prevented! use solid substrates like tile,newspaper,slate,shelfliner,newspaper,or reptile carpet...save a reptiles life! there may only be a 10-50 percent chance of them getting inpacted but why take that chance??????
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

o and what substrate are you using now?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

im using reg. calci sand rite know. i want to use fake plants but i used one about like 2 years ago and one of my gekos kept getting out of the cage even tho i had a top. i once lost it for 1 months =O. i also used fine calci sand but it makes my room kinda smell weird.

i think i like the tile wat about picking up the poop doesnt it stick to the tile and whe nu get it off isnt the like a "poop ring" kinda thing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Adolescent Pup

make sure you start using a solid substrate that calcium sand can cause impaction when they lick their environment to smell and the poop can sink in the sand and not all of it will come out when scooped so its like youre leos are living in a toilet also it can get in their eyes and its hard to clean and more expensive than a solid substrate...thats why i use tile,slate,newspaper,unprinted newspaper,papertowels,reptilecarpet or non-adhesive shelfliner....cleaning the tile is easy i put papertowels underneath the tile so its easy to clean when i take the tiles out...at first i put papertowels in every corner but now i put a small piece in his hide where he poops in so its easy to clean and doesnt get on the tile........

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i dont rly have a problem with the cleanliness of the cage because i do have a scooper and do scoop it very deep and make sure to scoop deeeep. and also impaction only happens to young geckos. but i dont realy like sand and i doubt that im ganna use tile so i think i might use reptile carpet?. do u "approve" hahaa?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

you dont mind the cleanliness of the cage and eye infections in youre leos well thats typical....reptilecarpet is fine but wash it 1-2 times a week at least...adult leopard geckos CAN get impacted just like baby leos they still lick their environment ive seen alot of impacted adults...scooping the cage daily isnt going to clean it all up the poop soaks in the sand and theres no way to get it all out...why risk it?? im just telling you what i know from owning leos and my experiences with them and my research on reptile forums..its something i wouldnt risk for my animals..........

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Title Thief Victim

Yea, one of my geckos is blind of a result of sand(i resuced him) why would you want to risk anything to happen to your geckos. I use paper towels myself.

I would switch to repti carpet or somthing solid. Please

Carissasaurus Rex

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

im not trying to sound mean im just concerned..

Tags
leopard gecko