leo gecko help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question leo gecko help

Hi recently fell in love with a leo at a pet store. i myself am a leo birthday 8-8-83 and my name is leo lol. Anyway have been doing some research on them and priceing of care,equitment,food, ect..... found a vet in my area that deals with lizzards but still have a few questions.
1) as the leo is young everything i saw said use reptile carpet and then calcium sand for and adult is this nessasiary? I would rather keep set u more like a dessert from the begining.
2)What do you recomend for a home Fish Tank, or glass and screen cage also longer or taller ?
Any pics of your setup would be a great help And thanks for all your help on this site with all of my lil Zoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Hello Earthling

I would use only tile,newspaper or paper towel. Using sand or any lose substrate you run the risk of impaction and a hefty vet bill.

A grass aquarium would be good at least 10 gallons, 20 is better. You want longer and wide rather than tall since they are terrestrial.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hello! I have two leopard geckos. They are cute little guys and easy to care for as far as reptiles go.

To answer your questions - It's not usually recommended to use sand, no matter what size/age reptiles are because if they eat any of it it can cause impactions. If you want a more natural looking tank, you can try getting sand colored tile. It looks pretty nice (nicer than paper towels or carpet in my opinion), is easy to wipe clean, and warms up well which the lizards like.

I use a 20 gal long aquarium with a screen top. Longer is better than tall, leopard geckos are terrestrial and spend most of their time hiding at ground level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I also just wanted to add that if you want a naturalistic tank, you wouldn't choose loose sand anyways . Leopard geckos in the wild live in more rocky areas and the only sand you'd see them in would be pretty hard and compacted.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Curmudgeon

I agree with the "No Sand".

An alternative that I used with my Leos, Dragons and Tortoises was rabbit pellets. You can buy a 50 pound bag for a few bucks, it's unlikely to be ingested (but if it is, no impactions) and it acts like clumping litter so that cleaning cages are a bit easier.

And it has a nice alfalfa scent to it. Helps to battle the common odors found in some reptile rooms.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Tags
leopard gecko question