Leopard Gecko Breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Leopard Gecko Breeding

Hello, Does anyone know how to breed leopard geckos in the safest way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've done quite a lot of it. What is it specifically that you want to know? Basically you want a female that's at least 14 months, a male of at least 12 months. You want them both very very fat. For your female you want to increase the fat, calcium, and other vitamin content in the food. You can house them together but it's less stressful on the female if they are left together for several days to breed and then separated, all up to you really. A first year breeder will have fewer viable eggs and an older breeder will have fewer viable eggs, but a healthy breeding female in her prime will lay 2 eggs every 3-6 weeks during the spring and early summer. In my experience you get healthier parents and more viable eggs if you cool the mom and dad down for a couple of months before you breed them in the spring. I can also tell you no matter what you lose some eggs and no matter what you run the risk of losing your females. Losing one of your favorites (which are usually the ones you breed) to egg binding is not a pleasant experience. So before you breed consider whether or not you have good vet support and whether or not you're willing to accept that some loss of health or life could occur no matter how good you and your vet are. What else would you like to know?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanx, that is such a help

Also i was wondering about introducing them, are there cirtain procedures or precautions i should take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Umm now that it's fall I would say wait until spring. It's a bad idea to breed during the colder weather. I would also say wait until a weekend so that when you introduce them you can check up on them every hour or so to make sure neither or them is being aggressive with the other other one.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanx, i can't wait to breed mine...getting a male from friend to breed, and have two eggs now that'l probably go bad soon.

Tags
leopard gecko