Leopard Gecko handling - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Leopard Gecko handling

Okay, my leopard gecko always acts wierd when I try to pick him up. The dude freaks out and gets all jumpy. He acts like im going to kill him or something. I try and try to get him calm but its impossible. Does anyone have suggestions on how i can handle this situatin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Some will always be jumpy. I assume you have snakes, lizards are a whole different world. Snakes don't care most of the time, lizards are known to be more skittish.

If you come from the top it scares him he thinks you are a bird. try to just be in there and let him come up lick your hand and walk over you

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

give him time and sit with your hand in the cage at night when he wakes up. most of the time they will tame down once they realize you aren't going to hurt them. it just takes patience. grabbing him will scare him out of his mind. let him approach you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The only way to really "tame" a reptile is by continuing to handle him. Try holding him in the tank at first, near the ground, before you start lifting him out of the enclosure.

But I have to ask--is there a reason you need to handle him? If he's really stressed out about it and doesn't calm down you might just want to leave him alone except when needed (like when cleaning his tank). Remember, reptiles don't really enjoy being held, some just tolerate it or perhaps like the warmth of your body/treats you give/etc. Even my two very "tame" reptiles, my ball python and my crested gecko, are only handled enough to keep them calm since I bring them to schools on occasion.

How long have you had him?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldnt say that all reps don't like being held, larger ones seem to, like iguanas, bearded dragons, monitors and such normally have an opinion about if they like to be held or not.

In fact normally my ig doesn't care either way, some times she doesn't want to be picked up, last night she wouldn't leave me alone she wanted in my arms, under my face, on my back she wouldn't let me move away from her.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
I wouldnt say that all reps don't like being held, larger ones seem to, like iguanas, bearded dragons, monitors and such normally have an opinion about if they like to be held or not.

In fact normally my ig doesn't care either way, some times she doesn't want to be picked up, last night she wouldn't leave me alone she wanted in my arms, under my face, on my back she wouldn't let me move away from her.
It's just my opinion. I don't think we understand enough about them to really say either way. Some might enjoy body warmth, food, or maybe even the freedom from their cage--but I'm not going to say that my reptiles love me or anything because I don't think it's true. Although I certainly love them, I don't think they'd be heartbroken if I suddenly disappeared as long as they got the same care.

It's one thing if the animal seems relaxed about handling. But if the animal is really stressed out and keeps trying to get away then I don't see the point in handling them. It's not like they need to be handled in order to be healthy.

Like I said, it's just how I feel. We can't really know for sure .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpython View Post
Okay, my leopard gecko always acts wierd when I try to pick him up. The dude freaks out and gets all jumpy. He acts like im going to kill him or something. I try and try to get him calm but its impossible. Does anyone have suggestions on how i can handle this situatin?
If you are just picking him out out of the blue without hi knowing he is going to be very scared.

Let him get use to you, and let him know your safe before you go and pick him up.

Also never grab him from the tail, geckos can and will drop their tails.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Iguanas are KNOWN to be one person pets, they love one more than others. Some have been known that if the one person leaves for vacation they won't eat anything until they get back, kermie does this. Others if their owner rehomes them or leaves they have been known to eat nothing, turn black and die.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Newborn Pup

Yep, just give him time. Work with him and be patient

Tags
leopard gecko