leopard gecko problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Arrow leopard gecko problems

my leopard gecko has never ate crickets. i try to feed them to him but he will ignore him. for about 6 months that i have had him i have fed him super worms. now he will not eat them. is he just picky or what. he seems healthy. sometimes do they fast like that? i dont know if this is serious or not. he doesnt even seem to notice the worms anymore. he hasnt ate in 5 days and he used to eat 2 or 3 worms a day. maybe i should try crickets again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 01:17 PM

I'm no expert, but the first question is always are the animals temps/humidity/cage all right? I would give crickets another shot too, just in case he's gotten bored and decided he doesn't want super worms anymore. Anyhow, that's a start. Sorry I can't help more, someone will be around that can help more.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i was his humidity is low, because i use news paper for bedding and it doesnt hold humitiy. what bedings can i use. i am worried about him eating it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

okay its been a few days, and he still isnt eating. i have been spraying his cage more than usually and still nothing. his tail is still fat, so maybe he is eating, just not infront of me. you think so???
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 12:03 PM

ratty ratkins, reaising the humidity is a good idea. Bird seed has been reccommended for a subtrate. Here is a link to a thread about subtrates http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10489

You may also want to take your little guy into a vet to have tests done on him. You may have to ask specifically for tests, but they would be worth it to find out what is wrong.

For now, you can buy some meat based baby food and feed your gecko with a syringe. Try to get a syringe that has a soft nozzel.

Ihope to hear a good report soon.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Herp Nerd

Sounds to me like a possible intestinal impaction - superworms can be tough to digest sometimes. I would definitely get him to a vet.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 04:31 PM

Everything I've ever read says that . . .

The humidity level should be no greater than 40% - preferably less.

Humidity levels that are too high can cause:

- respiratory infections
- bacterial infections
- fungal infections

but that you should have a shelter that is humid . . .

http://www.drgecko.com/humidity.htm#...ied%20Shelters

there are some good ideas on how to make humid shelters . . .

just a thought
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Herp Nerd

They're a desert species, stands to figure. As the Dr. Gecko link states, a small box with damp sphagnum moss in it is generally all that is necessary. So the gecko can go to the box if they want but their overall enclosure is not humid or damp.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 04:53 PM

Yup . . . that's all I was saying!! Try not to make the enclosure too humid . . I accidently did once and it drove my geckos mad . . . then I figured it out and got everything straightened around!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 PM

also geckos eat at night , and if the temp is too low they wont eat , the temps fora leapard gecko should be 95 to 90 on one end the other end should be 75 to 85 , again night time is when they eat so try feeding after dark
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

my leo has started eating alot. but still, he will not eat crickets, waxworms, or meal worms. he only shows intrest in superworms, which i heard were not good for him. any ideas?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 01:55 AM

ok let him do with out any food for at least 5 days he wont strave thats why they have the fat tails thats thier reseerves , then try adding crickets about a dozen keep count , make sure yo u check under everything because crickets can hide. put lettuce or a carrot in the cage for the crickets to eat and leave them for over night take them out in the morning keep trying it took me 2 months to get my leapards to eat crickets now thats what they eat ,more of and it works , and use what they call bedabeast for subtrate it is the best or calicum sand mixuter with it
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 05:33 PM

actually, i have a baby leopard gecko and she stops eating altogether when she sheds. i've heard its pretty normal, but i worry sometimes because babies shed a lot.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

i tryed the thing with the cricket that sunshine suggested and it didnt work. i waited 5 days and was worried that that was too long. he will not even eat meal worm if they move away from him. he doesnt even bother to chase it so i have to keep moving the worms back in front of him.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:37 PM

first how big is the gecko . in inches wise ,two its matting season for them so they dont eat much , is the temps ok . and thride maybe a vet visit is in order to see if he has any parasites, at this point if hes fat and all he will be eating its really depends on the gecko, and if hes getting ready to shed he will go off food and are you dusting the crickets with calicum powder ,

Tags
doing fine, leopard gecko, meal worms, respiratory infection, respiratory infections, vet visit