looking for general info on Leopard Geckos? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

looking for general info on Leopard Geckos?

Hi there! I wanted to post up a thread bout Leopard Geckos...I have seen these little guys a lot in pet stores and I would love to get some. I would probably not do so until at least a year or two...once I move out of my mother's house and in with the BF since my mother is just not into Reptiles at all!
But I figured I would look into doing some research now...I know I would like to get about three if at all possible and I would like for them to be all the same sex and since I am not interested in breeding...but as far as any other information about them I just don't know too much about em at all. I was wondering if I did want that many what size tank would be good to begin with...I figured something like a 10 gallon would be fine since they are not too big but like I said I don't know too much about em...soo if anyone wants to share info that would be wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Curmudgeon

These are a common, easily kept lizard. Tons of info on the net, just do a google on them. You can also use the search function at the top of this page to search for threads here on Pawtalk.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wink

I've kept and bred leos for a few years now. They are personable if handled but not overhandled and some are pretty, but as animals in the reptile world go they can be disappointing because they're not terribly interesting to watch. They spend most of their time sleeping and hiding. Don't want to discourage you though, I love them!

If you want to keep three of the same sex, you need females because males will fight to the death. You would need a 20 gallon for three, a ten gallon is plenty for one pushing it for two, too small for three. I don't recommend keeping three together right off the bat anyway though if you have no experience with reptiles. Leopard geckos are easy to keep but can be prone to eating problems etc. It's awfully hard to tell if one is sick and not eating until you see really serious symptoms when you're housing them together. All you see is that the food is gone, no idea usually who ate what. So I would say start out with one, get used to the signs of a happy gecko and an unhappy gecko and then expand. Plus the biggest reason to house them together is for breeding purposes, they are not social animals and don't have any really interesting behaviors when they interact with eachother. For the most part they are happier and less stressed when not housed together.

Some additional info: you'll need an undertank heater (get a real one don't use a heat pad). They eat live insects. It's best to get as much variety as possible. Mine eat crickets and meal worms with the occasional wax worm or (when they're full grown) pinky mouse if they need to fatten up. Shallow bowl of clean water should be available at all times. Waxies and pinkies are high fat so don't over do it with these items, also if you start out with babies or juveniles, remember not to give them a prey item any longer than the space between their eyes. You can get fancy with substrates, but I do papertowels. This way you can clean easily, they don't ingest substrate when they're hunting bugs, and you can tell easily if there's something weird about their poo + it's cheap. You will need to get a calcium, vitamin D + other vitamin dust. Read the instructions on the back, most say to dust their insects with this mixture once ever 3 feedings for adults or something like that. Remember juveniles or females laying eggs require more. They don't need climbing spaces but do need hides, place one on the warm side of the tank over the heat pad, and one on the cool side. This way they can thermoregulate. They can be prone to shedding problems that can lead to infection or loss of limb. If you notice this increase calcium in the diet, provide a humid hide, and if necessary soak the animal in shallow warm water. Any time a leo stops eating is cause for concern, if this continues for a few days, a vet visit is necessary. Make sure you know a REPUTABLE reptile vet before purchasing the gecko. Remember, leos are better than most reptiles about being handled, but no reptile requires or enjoys handling persay. In spite of their laid back, docile nature, there has been more than one leo who was essentially loved to death (aka died due to stress from overhandling). Two to three times a week for 15 to 20 minutes at a time wont hurt, more than that could. That should do it for the basics. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by luvboyrats; 09-05-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have two leos,Mystta (female) and Bear (male) and they are housed together in a 15 gallon.The female is infertile and only produces duds,thats why the breeder gave her to me.So thats why I have them housed together.They get along well too.

Leos are a good beginner reptile,but they are not the most interesting.My two have different personalities and they do tolerate handling sometimes,but I don't handle them often.If you want something you can handle all the time,then a reptile isn't for you.Well a leopard gecko anyway.Too much handling can stress them out badly.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well to be honest I think a reptile that does not require a lot of interaction might be good for me to start off with since i am not used to reptiles in general. Not too sure if I do get these guys just how soon it will be...I might still wait a while to get em...since I might be moving to Japan soon...but the nice thing is that if I did have these guys when I am making my move to Japan it would not traumatize them very badly if they were quarantined for a while with the whole not interacting with people to very often...so I very well might get these guys sooner then I expect...still would need to do more research on the topic...of moving animals if I was to look into that.
But I do think that when and if I do get em I will take luvboyrats advice and get one before getting several.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Generally if you want an animal that you can keep without a lot of interaction and handling just about any reptile will do. Leos actually tolerate it a lot better than some, and though there is some argument about this from cutesy people who want to think their iguana or bearded dragon is just some sort of novelty scaley dog who gets attached to them and wants their attention, it's my opinion that no reptile particularly enjoys or requires handling. The only exception is that if you do get something large like a monitor lizard or an iguana you do have to handle them regularly to keep them tame and safe. Even with those though you're talking about doing it regularly for short periods of time and being careful not to stress them out.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
RAT ADDICT

I know my leos don't care for handling,they do tolerate it tho,but thats prolly cause I am warm!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thats why I am thinking an animal like that would be perfect for me to keep when I do move to Japan...it would not take a ton of work to take care and I would not have to worry about emotionally scaring the things. But I still would be giving them a wonderful home and loving care. I just think when the time comes that I do move out of the country having something there with me while I am making the adjustment...weather I get to interact with it a lot or not will really be something very good for me in the long run.
So a reptile sounds very ideal for a future pet in my life honestly. Since mammals I am not sure would be able to handle something like a move like that...where as reptiles sound tough enough that they could.

Tags
bearded dragon, leopard gecko, meal worms, pet store, pet stores, social animals, vet visit