My Iguana...Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 10:30 AM
siron

My Iguana...Help

Hi Guys, I just got an ig lately, it's abt say 1 year old. Well it doesn't really wanna eat everytime I try to feed him. What can you all recommand? Also its so agressive!! Keep whiping it's tail at me or even wanting to bite me!

And is it common if there's like black stain on his head and it will go away and come back again.

Pls help...Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Herp Nerd

Well, to be perfectly honest, it is completely normal for iguanas to be aggressive. They truely do not make very good pets unless you start from a teeny tiny lizard and work him up. All I can suggest about that is patiently working with him for a little while every day and hope it comes around. Don't stress him out too much though, just enough to get him used to you being around and slowly work up to seeing if he'll let you touch him, and then work on trying to pick him up. Step by step, it may take several weeks... be patient.

The black spot on his head could be any number of things... I would look at his heat source, make sure his basking lamp is far enough away so he isn't getting burnt by it... but I doubt it is that if it comes and goes. Its probably nothing. Make sure the UV light is working and not too old... the fluorescent ones are only good for about 6 months.

As for feeding. What are you trying to feed him? When igs get stressed, they frequently go off of feed... but best place is to start with some really tempting food. The Iguana Den has a pretty extensive list of stuff you can feed your ig... go through the list and try a few different things and see if anything tempts him. Try to avoid lettuces though. Once you find something he likes, it is most likely going to be something that isn't exactly the best food for him - iguanas are great at knowing what they shouldn't eat too much of - try mixing in some collard greens and other good stuff with it.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:01 PM
siron

Quote:
Originally posted by Ravnos
Well, to be perfectly honest, it is completely normal for iguanas to be aggressive. They truely do not make very good pets unless you start from a teeny tiny lizard and work him up. All I can suggest about that is patiently working with him for a little while every day and hope it comes around. Don't stress him out too much though, just enough to get him used to you being around and slowly work up to seeing if he'll let you touch him, and then work on trying to pick him up. Step by step, it may take several weeks... be patient.

The black spot on his head could be any number of things... I would look at his heat source, make sure his basking lamp is far enough away so he isn't getting burnt by it... but I doubt it is that if it comes and goes. Its probably nothing. Make sure the UV light is working and not too old... the fluorescent ones are only good for about 6 months.

As for feeding. What are you trying to feed him? When igs get stressed, they frequently go off of feed... but best place is to start with some really tempting food. The Iguana Den has a pretty extensive list of stuff you can feed your ig... go through the list and try a few different things and see if anything tempts him. Try to avoid lettuces though. Once you find something he likes, it is most likely going to be something that isn't exactly the best food for him - iguanas are great at knowing what they shouldn't eat too much of - try mixing in some collard greens and other good stuff with it.

Rav

Thanks...thanks for your info. u see I am a very new guy to this. Totally know nuts...just some web knowledge I got online. And a book I bought. really love the iguana. Oh I just fed him grapes. Good to see him eat from my hands but I sorta had to persude him to eat.

Also on the first 2 days, my ig 'crap' (all at the water place) but it's been 2 days liao and he had not crap, is this normal?? Must they crap everyday to be healthy??

Oh I do not have UV lights..but I just have a noraml flouresent lamp...u mean it's not good enough??

Oh also in my tank there's another lizard(tree lizard). but the Ig takes like totally dun care abt it. And sometime the lizard climb on top of the ig...they seems to be friendly to each other. Is it okay??

Sorry to trouble you guys...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Herp Nerd

Iguanas probably won't poo every day, they don't need to... but they DO need UV, a normal fluorescent is not good enough. They also need a basking spot where they can warm themselves up. They really should not be housed with other species, iguanas can be territorial and may be dangerous to your other lizard. Housing different species together is usually never a good idea anyway.

Grab all the books on iguanas you can and read them all... iguanas are very challenging to care for properly and all the information you can get will be helpful.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 10:58 PM

Rav, has got you on the right track. Iguanas can be very rewarding, but they do take a lot of time and work. We rescued ours when he was about a year old and rehabilitated him. He is now a very nice lizard.

If he does try to bite you, let him bite something that won't hurt him. He will continue to bite it until he realizes that you aren't going away, and he isn't getting the reaction he wants.

Our iguana likes dandelions, collared greens and alfalfa pellets. We let him eat berries and red peppers occaisionally.

Here is a great site that should help you learn more about how to care for your iguana.

http://www.anapsid.org/

I also reccomend checking out Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual by James W. Hatfield. It contains a lot of useful information and anecdotal material.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:46 PM
siron

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizgirl
Rav, has got you on the right track. Iguanas can be very rewarding, but they do take a lot of time and work. We rescued ours when he was about a year old and rehabilitated him. He is now a very nice lizard.

If he does try to bite you, let him bite something that won't hurt him. He will continue to bite it until he realizes that you aren't going away, and he isn't getting the reaction he wants.

Our iguana likes dandelions, collared greens and alfalfa pellets. We let him eat berries and red peppers occaisionally.

Here is a great site that should help you learn more about how to care for your iguana.

http://www.anapsid.org/

I also reccomend checking out Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual by James W. Hatfield. It contains a lot of useful information and anecdotal material.

Well I am still learning on what I can do to make the Ig feel more at home. Well here in my country it's really hard to source resources for the Igs. I am on my own and of cuz the net. Well do you guys have chat sessions etc?

Anyway it's not easy for me to get an Ig here and it cost ALOt to get one here.

Tags
collard greens