My Iguana wont eat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

My Iguana wont eat

Hey guys, recently my iguana was in the iguana hostpital because he was sick, so after antibiotics, and home done needeles hes been ok! however when he was sick i was feeding him by hand, and now hes used to be feeding him! can you guys tell me how i can get my iguana to eat from his dish again without me shoveing it down his mouth? Please help i cant feed him by hand 1/2 and hour a day , how will i play with him if all my time is feeding, thanks....

I would apreciate anything, just dont be a meany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Newborn Pup

Try putting just his favorite peace of food in his dish. Very small amounts. It has worked for me. When mine won't eat it is because he got too cold that may help too.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:03 PM
I Dream of Godzilla

in my case i would put in some pieces of fruit/s on top of the ig food (my ig "LIZ" is a fruit lover by the way). or i would place here near the food bowl, hand feed her once then she'd starteating by herself

A proud "DAD" to:

A very sweet/loving and affectionate female iguana named LIZ

4 unnamed 12 yrs old turtles...

A Sweet Bassett hound - Labrador mix puppy named Ringo

Lizard owners are SWEET LOVERS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Newborn Pup

I have a male Iguana "Eddie", and he is very aggressive. I'm told he will out grow this stage. I hope that's true. LOL
Old 04-13-2005, 06:49 PM
I Dream of Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy76DML
I have a male Iguana "Eddie", and he is very aggressive. I'm told he will out grow this stage. I hope that's true. LOL
He will, just be sure you dont stress him out... iguanas are stressful lizards...

A proud "DAD" to:

A very sweet/loving and affectionate female iguana named LIZ

4 unnamed 12 yrs old turtles...

A Sweet Bassett hound - Labrador mix puppy named Ringo

Lizard owners are SWEET LOVERS...
Old 12-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Newborn Pup

Iguanas do not "outgrow" agressiveness/wildness(unless its just a breeding season issue) You have to keep him tamed and socialized. It's best if you handle them once a day, every day. True, you should watch out for signs of stress, but never put an uncalm iggy back in it's cage(or he will think he can just throw a fit to keep you away from him)
Old 12-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Newborn Pup

If your ig is just being stubborn, but will eat from your hand... just leave a little food in his dish(keep it fresh) and walk away. Igs can go very long without food, but like any other animal will look for food when hungry enough. You could also just wean him off by beginning to feed him a little by hand, then put him in front of his dish and walk away. He'll figure it out eventually.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Herp Nerd

Keep in mind also, that antibiotics can be hard on an iguanas system - namely to the kidneys, it may take him a while to get back to full speed. I think if he gets hungry enough, he'll go to the dish. Just try putting his favorite stuff on top. Iguanas are real suckers for "junk food". You could always make him think you're going to feed him by hand, but at the last second drop it in his dish. If he wants it bad enough, he'll go for it.

I have never heard of an iguana outgrowing aggression. They are extremely stubborn animals, and once they get set in their ways, it takes a lot of work to get them to change habits. Patience and persistance is the only course of action. They are creatures of routine, and if you can work a daily handling attempt into that routine and slowly build up the length of time you work with them, they -may- come around. Many do not, and its not really the owners fault. Thats just the way iguanas are. There is a reason they are by far the most dumped reptile pet.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Red face Iguanas not eating

I recently became the owner of two juvenile iguanas.
One is a few weeks old and still fairly tiny that we bought from the pet store and the next day we rescued one from a flea market who is slightly bigger perhaps a few months old. They are currently being housed in a 55 gallon tank with branches and vines to climb and bask on until their room is finished. They have proper basking as well as uvb heat and light. I mist the tank several times a day in addition to their daily baths. I have had them since last saturday and sunday for the second one and they aren't eating. I give them a variety of ten vegtables and fruit only 3 of which are fruits. The larger abused baby ate once yesterday greedily gobbling down about 4 mouthfuls of cantaloupe and assorted fruits and veggies. Aside from that, that is the only time either has consumed any food. My only other iguana I have ever owned was already three years old when I got him. I don't want my little guys to starve and I'm not sure if this is normal due to new enviornment or stress or if something else is wrong. I thought each would be happy now with their new lives. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to get them to eat or increase their appetite? I greatly appreciate any and all advice.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

this thread is from 2005

2 iguanas are very bad, they are not social and shouldn't be housed together.

Yes they are stressed one from being together, and another reason is a new home and you are picking them up each day. they need a week or so of no handling to get used to their environment. I would stop planning the room and make 2 large enclosures the recommended size is 4x6x6'

what are you feeding? They should eat mustard collard turnip greens for their main diet

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Part of the Pack

Housing more than one together actually isn't bad for them as long as room is properly managed. Most people who own iguanas own several, letting them have the run of an entire room or house together. It's usually only a problem due to overcrowding, poor management, or not offering enough room for each, when stress occurs. The only time I would worry is with large adult males who should be isolated from others and left alone during the breeding season.

I agree, proper greens should be the staple diet, with fruit and veggies being secondary. A good Vitamin D supplement is also recommended. They will eat when they want, but they won't eat everyday - or even drink every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No, they are not social critters they should not be housed together, most people who are good owners don't own more than one and if they do they have them in separate cages and separate rooms. Just looking at each other will stress them.

2 adult males could easily kill each other, a male and a female will breed which isn't good because they can have more than 20 eggs and you have to get rid of those eggs. constant breeding of any animal is bad.

Even 2 females will dominate each other and one will get the better food, the better basking spot, and the better UVB spot.

Really free roaming isn't good either, it is impossible to have the right temps, and the right basking spots, and the right humidity in a full house, unless you enjoy 80 degrees and very very humid.

Vitamin D should not be supplemented as an over dose will kill them, they make vitamin D on their own with UVB lighting.

They do eat every day, and a lot. adults will eat a full 6 quart container of food every single day if not more. The only time they will stop eating every day is when in breeding season or sick or stressed.

They don't drink from a water bowl every day as they have high humidity and get most of their water from their food.

Don't house them together.

[/CENTER]

Old 05-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Part of the Pack

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see a problem keeping more than one, as it's more a management and common sense issue that varies from iguana to iguana.

As for vitamin D, it's the D3 that can be bad if given all the time. Most recommend a vitamin D supplement just in case.

As for competing for space/spots/uvb, if you have several iggs, you should have several spot lamps and uvb bulbs anways. As well as lots of room for them.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Old 05-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Have you even had an iguana before, or done any sort of research on them? I have had my iguana for 3 years, along with being a member of a well respected reptile forum, and i have read www.iguana.com which is the best known book of iguana care.

Do not keep them together, it really doesn't vary much at all, i guess it varies from one iguana killing the other, to them just being really stressed out.

Iguanas will be tamer to you if they don't have to deal with each other.

People see one iguana laying on the other and think "oh they are friends" when really the top iguana is getting the better light, and food, and heat.

Some iguanas if they even see another they charge it. Its not uncommon.

If you have lots of room for them have 2 cages one iguana in each.

[/CENTER]

Old 04-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Rep Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy76DML View Post
only way to get him from being aggressive is taming him. He wont out grow it. I have had so many people come to the shop i work at and ask me "i was told he would out grow this aggressive way but how long?" i always say they wont unless you try to tame them day by day. Now unless you do have a female or its just breeding season than he might out go it in a few months. BUT still best thing is taming.

LOVE Inuyasha and my Boy friend 4 LIFE

Tags
breeding season, food bowl