My new ig hatchling won't eat! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

My hatchling was bought about 3-4 days ago(second baby ig). He's fine except a few yellow patches and being treated for mites. The problem is ever since I got him, he has eaten only a single pea. What worries me is you can see his ribs while his back legs & tail base are also looking very skinny(it's where igs store fat) I am so worried and frusturated! What do I do to get my little boy(I think its a he) eating and plumping up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The weird thing is Khain(older but still a baby ig) is much sicker, recovering from several afflictions(yes he saw a vet) but his appetite grows by the day! How can something so sick eat better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:06 AM

I don't know what else you are feeding them, but have you tried giving them hard boiled egg, or boiled chicken? Baby ig's need more protein. I had two ig's that I raised on the above mention items, plusveggie matter, nose to vent they measure 11 and 13 inches the first year. The second year the female layed eggs!!!!
Stay away from prepared ig food and never ever feed dog or cat food of any kind. (yes they will grow bigger faster on dog food, but it destroys their livers. Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I feed them a nutrient-rich mix of veggies: Collard greens, Mustard greens, acorn squash, butternut squash, prickly pear, green beans, peas, blueberries, raspberries, apples, pineapples, sometimes bok choy, and thats to name just a few.

I heard any animal/insect protein could cause kidney/liver failure if fed more than a few times. Although in my worry, I have tried feeding him boiled chicken, boiled eggs, and strawberry yogurt(to help good bacteria in his internal plumbing) to no avail. I have tried dicing stuff tiny, putting in brightly colored veggies/fruits, arranging it in pretty ways, but he just wont eat. My dad suggested getting a clean medicine dropper and a jar of baby food in form of pureed veggies, but I dont know if that would be ok.

The hatchling is about 3 1/2 inches long
Khain is about 6 inches long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 PM

Hello

Since your ig is so new, he might not be feeling up to eating... A dropper would be a good idea if he goes a long time without eating. Don't forget they can go a long time without food due to their metabolism... so there's no big rush.

One thing I've done with all my iguanas is feed them a tiny bit of plain yogurt with active live bacterial culture. This is to aid their digestion. Wild igs get what they need for their guts from eating other ig poop. I don't recommend feeding poop to your ig though, as it could lead to infection. I'm not an expert on this but it didn't hurt my igs and they always have had a good appetite.

I'd just monitor your baby's progress closely and take him to the vet if he won't eat... Have you taken your ig to the vet yet? Every new ig should see a vet, just as any new dog or cat needs to. Your ig could have internal parasites along with the mites...

What, do his droppings look like(if you've seen any yet)? If they are runny and really smelly, internal parasites could be the problem.

Cheers,
Cam
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

I've had him 3-4 days. Normally, I give an ig a week or so before I make them eat, but I am getting more worried about the hatchling because you can already see his ribs and hipbones(not to mention his back legs are getting close to skin and bones) Also, I don't think he's drinking water. Should I give him a tepid bath so he can absorb some water through his vent? His droppings are the normal fecal matter, white urates, and liquid urine. I am thankful hes not constipated on top of starving himself!

Should I get the medicine dropper and baby food in a few more days?

Right now, I am still trying to find a vet that is within a range someone would be willing to drive as I don't have my own car. Khain was lucky to see a vet because my dad was visiting me from another state and we drove 25-30 miles to a vet. But now dad is back home.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:52 PM

I'm not sure what else to recommend... besides making sure you have proper heating, especially at nighttime. Letting your ig get too cold at night will affect his appetite.

Until you can get him to a vet, just use your dropper for feeding... don't worry about him eating tonnes, just enough so that he's processing food(producing brown poops). If he has urates, then he is drinking or at least getting liquid from somewhere(they get a lot from their veggies)... I like to hold my ig's nose under a sprinkle from the faucet if I think he needs a drink. You'll know if you ig is thirsty if he starts licking the water or outright gulping it.

Oh yeah, make sure he gets plently of U.V. (5.0% U.V.B.) light basking time. Real sunlight is the best if you can do it.

Anyway, good luck!
Cam
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Yaaay!

Thank goodness, I finally got him straightened out a bit. Late last night, I noticed the only food he didn't spit back out at me when I put it in his mouth was pureed pears. So, I took pear juice and diluted it 1:1 with water and he gulped it down from a spoon (he drank 2 or 3 tablespoons!) That seemed to get his appetite back because he ate his salad with a little pear juice on it this morning and afternoon. I plan to wean him off pear stuff until I know its ok for an ig to have. He's doing his business just fine because I had one messy ig towel to change!

His habitat is 70-75 degrees at night, and I have an ExoTerra UVB light. He seems to be in a better mood and poop easier though when I open the curtains and let him get some sun.

Is it normal though to see a sleeping ig sprawled out asleep on the floor of his habitat like a dog on a hot summer day? lol

Hes got a name now: Shaitan

Thanks everybody for your help!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 12:19 AM

Good to hear things are going better... Sounds like your doing a good job.

I just googled 'pear iguana -cactus' and it looks like pears are fine... of course not as a staple.

I think my iguana has just as much personality as a dog. When I see him sprawled out like that it means he's really relaxed or really tired.

Which reminds me.. Exercise is important for iguanas; as it is for any other animal. Play hide and seek with your ig... take him to the park on a hot day(if you are prepared)... They love to climb, so I've started building Buddha a mini rainforest in my living room.

The nicer you are to your iguana, the nicer he'll be to you.

Introduce your lizard to other humans.... just like you would a cat or dog.

Happy New Year!
Cam
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Shaitan gets plenty of exercise when he climbs on me, the cat, and his climby thing.

Today he pulled a real doozy. Stupid me accidently left the lid thingy to his cage open, and I went to take a shower. I heard a bunch of scritching noises, but ignored them thinking the cat was trying to get in the bathroom again. Next, I looked up in a space in the shower where all the bath puffs hang. What did I see? Shaitan clinging onto them and pretending to be dead. I nearly had a heart attack! After I put him back in the cage, he turned into a mexican jumping bean(perhaps pears have too much sugar?) Now, hes dead asleep.

Too bad not very many people like lizards like I do. Only my ex and friends. My friends wont hold them, and they are terrified of my ex(even though he bought them for me for christmas) When it gets warm here again, I'll put them on a leash to enjoy the good weather.

Your rainforest idea sounds good. When Khain & Shaitan get big enough not to get into *too* much mischeif, I will turn one of my large walk-in closets into a rainforest for my little sweeties.

Happy New Year!

Holly

Tags
cat food, collard greens, dog food, mustard greens