Photos! My Newest (and Oldest!) Family Member :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Talking My Newest (and Oldest!) Family Member :)

Some one dropped off their leopard gecko to be adopted out at the pet store I work at. He is 15 years old, was living on calcium sand, had no humid hide, and he hide a bright white basking light for his warm side (That hurts their eyes). He had a ton of retained shed stuck in his eye too. He broke my heart, and after LOTS of convincing my parents finally agreed to let me adopt him!

So I dumped out all of the sand, cleaned out his tank really well, gave him a new hide that he actually fits in and a humid hide, and used a ceramic heater instead of the basking light. I bought him some nice new dishes today too, since his old water dish was covered in sand stains and complete with algae. I wanted to take a "before" picture, but I had to get rid of the sand before I brought him home LOL... Here are the "after" pictures though!

He's actually pretty chunky!

His bad eye. I put some water on it and the crap softened up enough that he could open it, but once he was back in his viv it dried up again. If I can't fix it myself over the weekend, I'll call the vet to see if I can get him some ointment. Does anyone know of something I can put on his eye to help him?

Whatcha lookin' at??

Discovering his new wormie dish:

So far, he is incredibly sweet and friendly. I don't understand how someone could get rid of him! He was very patient with me when I was wetting his eye, and trying to get the retained shed off his fingers. I tried feeding him a little roach, but it kept hiding under him and he was getting really confused. He happily ate it out of my fingers though! Later when I was peeling off the mass amount of tape that is stuck to the side of his tank for some reason, he ran right over to me and stared at me... He must have figured out that me = food.

And he needs a name! I really like Stanley, but I'm still thinking. Other possible names are Captain Jack (His eye looks piratey!), Sheldon, Kody, or Quincey. Any other ideas?

And here are a few of Stella. I can't leave her out!

Why is this empty? FOOD. NOW.

Roaches or mealies? I can't decide, so I MUST be in two dishes at once.

Just randomly chillin'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Last edited by Jess; 12-08-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Zoo Keeper

They are so cute If I ever got a reptile it would be a leopard gecko ... I am so glad you got him

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

Aww I'm sure he's so grateful to you for cleaning up his place and attempting to remedy his eye! So glad you got him. Stella looks great too, I love the "randomly chillin" pose

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww soo cute
what about, izzy, or iggy or smitty although i love the name stanley

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Zoo Keeper

His markings i think deserve a regal name

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with Stanley, but Oliver, Leo (Leopold or Leonardo LOL), Reggie, and Emmett are high on my list now too. There are so many cute names he could have! He is such a sweet and gentle little guy, I want him to have a little-old-man kind of name.

But he is already a completely different gecko than before, and I haven't even him him 2 days yet. At the store he was really lethargic, and would army-crawl around in the sand with his eyes closed. One of my co-workers actually thought he was dead!
Now he is exploring everything, walks normally with his eye open, and he will get really excited and come out of his little cave when he sees me. He is very alert and curious.

He still doesn't know what to do with his humid hide though. He just stares at it.

I'm going to try some Saline eye drops on him today, since I heard those were safe.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Betta Bomb

omgoodness! how terrible! I HATE petstores. Any one can have pets and do whatever they want with them. He looks good for 15 years of bad treatments. Bless you Jess for being a gecko goddess
He's cool. I like the name Stanley and Oliver (no biases there ) Quincey was nice too ^.^
How long do leopard gecko's live?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

My pet store actually takes really good care of their pets... It's just the adopt-a-pets that come in really neglected!

And I guess they can live 20+ years. On a breeder's website that I was reading, they claimed to have a 30 year old male! I think this little guy has a few years left in him, because he is overall in pretty good shape for being so old.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Betta Bomb

Some pet stores do take care of the animals yes ^.^ But I meant how they'll just sell ANYONE a pet, regardless of the research or care into it. The old pwner obviously didn't know jack about gecko's Thanks goodness he's in your hands!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Some pet stores do take care of the animals yes ^.^ But I meant how they'll just sell ANYONE a pet, regardless of the research or care into it. The old pwner obviously didn't know jack about gecko's Thanks goodness he's in your hands!
I think its a combo of both pet stores selling people pets to whoever takes them which i totally agree with you about, and the fact that theres sooo many darn websites on the internet that give such horrible advice as well. which a lot of people not knowing any better, read this advice and do as that certain website says which is sad

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Yeah, I agree. Not everyone even wants to listen to your advice either... That's what's frustrating about working at a pet store.

And Stanley has developed some attitude LOL... He decided that the HATES being picked up! Once you get him out of his tank he is OK. But when I try to get him in his tank, he flails wildly and does a little alligator death-roll to try to espace! Poor guy. I want to help his eye, but I don't know if I should be picking him up or letting him calm down for a while and leave him alone.

He is eating really well though. I hand-feed him a roach nymph every night, and I was helping him find mealies. He will go after them when they are by his "good" eye, but he looses them when they crawl near the other side of his face. He has horrible aim to, so it takes him 3 or 4 tries before he can get it.

Some good news it that I found lamp dimmers on Amazon for only $10! The rheostat & thermostat I was looking at before was $18-$25. I should be able to get him a UTH this week, so Dud can have his CHE back.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Yeah, I agree. Not everyone even wants to listen to your advice either... That's what's frustrating about working at a pet store.

And Stanley has developed some attitude LOL... He decided that the HATES being picked up! Once you get him out of his tank he is OK. But when I try to get him in his tank, he flails wildly and does a little alligator death-roll to try to espace! Poor guy. I want to help his eye, but I don't know if I should be picking him up or letting him calm down for a while and leave him alone.

He is eating really well though. I hand-feed him a roach nymph every night, and I was helping him find mealies. He will go after them when they are by his "good" eye, but he looses them when they crawl near the other side of his face. He has horrible aim to, so it takes him 3 or 4 tries before he can get it.

Some good news it that I found lamp dimmers on Amazon for only $10! The rheostat & thermostat I was looking at before was $18-$25. I should be able to get him a UTH this week, so Dud can have his CHE back.
poor baby your doing such a good job with him, what if you were to,bring him to a vet could they clean his eye or something ? as for him not wanting t be touched give it time i think would be the best as some just are more shy then others, Julien for me is easy out going and wants to be held where, CYRUS did like you little man does he will come around

By Anonymous
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Betta Bomb

Take it slow with him. Can you feed him his squigglies out of your hand?

About you working at a pet store, I guess with people like me all the time saying "noooo don't listen to pet store employees!" I'm marring your actual good knowledge and experience! I ran into a few good employees at the new PetSmart when they opened (but with the turnover rate over employee contracts there's less informed workers now).. Sorry about that! there are good employees!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

@Nibbler: I tried to clean his eye myself with a Q-tip, but the shed is really stuck on there. After I put some warm water on it and softed the shed up a little, I gently rubbed the Q-tip on it, and it wouldn't budge. I don't think the vet could really clean it off or anything, but I'm going to see if I can at least get some antibiotic eye cream, to make sure it isn't infected and maybe keeping something on the eye continiously will soften it enough so that it comes off easier.
But other than being half-blind, he doesn't act like it hurts him. He lets me touch it and everything.

@Amanda: He will let me finger-feed him, touch him, scratch his head, ect. but he just doesn't like being picked up! I've been trying to coax him onto my hand, just so he can get used to walking on it with out thinking he is going to be grabbed right away. (Maybe his old owner didn't pick him up nicely?)

And it's fine LOL, I realize a lot of pet store workers completey fail. It definitely bothers me how blindly people rely on pet store advice... There are some great people out there, but I've run into SO many flat-out stupid people at pet stores!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on your new addition He's certainty a handsome guy! I can't believe someone would care for him for 15 years and then be able to just dump him like that, so sad! But I guess it all turned out for the best, since he has a great new home now.

Aurora haaated being picked up when I first got her. I got her from a breeder and she was well taken care of but I don't think the breeder handled his lizards very often, so it was kind of a new (and scarey) thing for her. She use to freak out and do the little lizard death rolls every time I picked her up. Honestly I actually don't handle my geckos too often either but after about a year of her living with us Aurora started to tolerate being held better. It's still not her favorite thing in the world, but she tolerates it calmly now.