My Visiting Gecko - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My Visiting Gecko

I know I have been so lazy with getting this posted!

Over the Christmas Holiday we were in South Florida visiting family. My parent's friend in the condo right next door to them was up north with family, so we were able to spread out and Jim and I stayed in her apartment next door to my Mom's.

Anyway! The first night there we noticed we had a little friend! I love lizards and thought this little guy was the coolest squatter, obviously very content and pretty bold!

I didn't know if it was an Anole or Gecko, so I looked it up and it appears it's a Gecko. If anyone can correct me... please do.

Both pictures are of the same lizard! At times he appeared transparent, other times he appeared brownish or greenish. His favorite hang-out was high up on the wall above the sliding doors out to the balcony.

He hung out with us all week

I wish we had them here in NJ!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WallGecko2.jpg (4.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg WallGecko.jpg (8.4 KB, 15 views)

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:43 PM

Cool!

I had one last summer that was *living* on the side of my house. They are the neatest little guys!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 02:25 AM

What a cute little guy! I'm getting more and more interested in reptiles...Ira's scared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Romping Ratties

Looks like a Hemidactylus mabouia to me, which is just simply a Tropical House Gecko. Do you have a larger photo of him?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Those are the only "in focus" pictures I was able to get of him.
We saw him every day though! He'd hang out in the same spot on the wall. If we "spooked" him he would scamper into the corner behind a fake ficus tree
I am sure he was still there when the new renters came in - I hope they were nice to him.

It was strange - sometimes he really did look transparent like in that one picture- other times he looked greenish or brownish - most of the time when I see them, they look green.

I suppose there are enough little buggies for him to eat - which thinking about in itself kind of grossed me out.

Becki! Uh-oh! I would love, love, love to have one like yours. Or! I am totally facinated with iguanas. I love them!

One of my favorite things to do when I am at my mom's is to look at all the geckos, they are all over in droves. I know it's no big deal for you southern peoples, but they facinate me! I think they are so, so cute. The best is when one gets into the house. My dad has a special home made lizard catcher. It's a salad container and a piece of thin oak-tag folder paper. He hunts them down (they have a cat and he wouldn't want the cat to get the gecko!) puts the container over it, slides the folder underneath slowly so the gecko gets onto the folder. He picks the whole thing up, takes it outside and sets the little guys free.

[center]

[
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They still fascinate me and I'm in the south, Deja! I posted under a thread titled I've had a visitor or something to that effect, I was able to get some really neat pics this past summer.

Thanks for sharing!!

Stephanie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 04:17 PM

Those are fun pics. I'd love to live where the lizards were wild and free and visible.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I remember those pictures, Jade! They were awesome!

Lizgirl, me too!! I would love it! The absolute ultimate would be Lizards all over and wild Parrots flying around! (hrrm, maybe I should move to Mexico )

The closest thing we get here are icky Salamanders - although, I say they are icky because I usually find them bloated up in the pool skimmer basket

[center]

[