Narq Wont Eat. Someone Please Help Us. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Unhappy Narq Wont Eat. Someone Please Help Us.

I've tried everything. Im so upset with him right now- its so frustrating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How long has it been? What have you been trying? What's his normal diet? What kind of lizard is he? What temps do you keep him at? What's your cage setup like? What lights do you use?

(Not that I can help, but most of the time these are questions asked .... might as well answer them while waiting for an expert to come along! )

Stephanie

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

In 4 days he has had 1 cricket. Weave been trying to give him crickets and milworms. His normal diet is crickets, mil-worms, worms, and grasshopppers but crickets are his favorite. He is a (pet store) chinese water dragon. Also called a green water dragon i think. In the day its around 90 degrees and at night its around 70 degrees. He got baked logs, fake plants, sandbox, pool (purified), a temp. controled heat rock (barely gets hot, maybe 85 degrees.) and forest bark from Exo-terra (its coconut bark)and we use fluker's all natural moss as bedding. One basking light and one Exo-terra repti-glow 5.0 UVB. We also have a trop-air humidifier to keep it humid.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by Rocheal; 09-12-2003 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 11:23 PM

I don't know much about water dragons in particular, but I've been doing ALOT of herp reading! First thing at any signs of a problem is to check all of your husbandry and then check again! Temp, humidity, if he soaks has he been soaking...? If all of that checks out you should get a fecal exam done by the vet to check for parasites. Is there a special thing he only gets for a treat (like, my cham loves wax worms, but they're a rare treat)? Maybe try enticing him with some of that.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Im not sure if he's ever had wax worms... That was Kevin that has been talking in here- He buys the food and gives it to me- I just tell him what to buy- I don't know the difference... And he's not answering his cell phone..

I will pick up some wax worms and try to offer those. I put some liqiud calcium on his lips so he could lick it off... Hoping maybe something will trigger his hunger..

He soaks alot becki- Thats his bed (his pool) he sleeps there every night. What did you mean by check all the husbandry things? Temp and stuff?

Thanks so much for trying to help!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 04:16 PM

Yeah, temps (basking and cooler areas), humidity... all that stuff. You might also check to see if anything around his tank has changed that might be stressing him out, from what I understand not eating could be a stress thing too.
I didn't mean that you should feed him waxworms, i don't know if water dragons can eat those, that was just an example of what I would give my cham as a treat (they're probably ok for Narq, but I don't know for sure). Good luck, I hope he decides he wants to eat soon!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Yeah, They're ok for him- I looked into it a while back when I first got him, but guess what!!

He ate 3 meal worms and about 7 crickets all of a sudden. I think your ide on the treat thing triggering his hunger, worked. (When I gave him some calcium stuff.) He loves it... He lost 2 grams in those 4 days. Now Kevin has the scale so i'll have to weigh him again when I get it back. He weighs 55 grams BTW. I hope he gains it all back... I was about to call the vet... Thanks so much for helping us!!!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 05:14 PM

That's great, I'm so glad he decided to eat again!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Oh you just don't know!!! Thanks so much!!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:44 PM

Way to go Becki! Thanks for answering Rocheal's questions while I was away. I've had a busy weekend.

Rocheal, I'm happy Narq is eating again.

Tags
chinese water dragon, meal worms, pet store