Needing some ideas/advice with Iguana - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Needing some ideas/advice with Iguana

Hi I'm came here hoping that maybe someone would have some ideas for us.

Recently we bought a baby iguana from a pet store. And like normal I am guessing he was scared to death of us, Now he seems a little more adjusted (not much). We've had him for about 3 months. At first he would never eat his food or drink, we grew out of that it seems tho. The first time we changed his bedding he seemed mad at us, all though he's not aggressive at all.

I've read a lot about them most things say they are not really social with other Igs but when we hold him, in the bathroom so he can't escape, he always trys to find some way to get up on the counter to look at the mirror and he follows the reflection like it is another ig, but he's not aggressive.

The last week or two, we've tried to interact with him more, by petting him when we walk by, and talking to him as much as possible, we've continued to hold him daily also to get him used to us. But now it's like he's just determinded to escape, On my husband he'll jump on him and try running up his arm, with my it hasn't been so bad, and he'll hide in his trees and watch us. Also he's try to find ways to get out, you can watch him try to figure it out.

I don't know if he's just bored, or lonely, or what. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. We really love him and want him to be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I need to know some more about your ig,

1) What lighting do you have? You need to have a UVB light with no glass or small screen between it and your ig- that is how they make calcium, with out it their bones will be weak, break, turn to rubber and form wrong.

2) You need a heat light that is between 85-95- this is so they can digest their food properly, with out this they aren't getting nutrients and will slowly break down

3) what are you feeding it? You should feed dark leafy- you should feed a mix of collard greens, mustard greans, turnip greens, along with a mix of fruit and veggies

NO foods such as- Lettuce- broccoli or spinach (at least not often or much as they bind calcium again making bones weak.) No animal protein what so ever, i don't care what your petstore advised its bad, it causes kidney failure)

Ig's are always trying to excape, its normal... its not because they are lonely they will fight if they have more igs around them, normally one grows dominate and fights away the other from the food and basking spot.

You shouldn't have "bedding" at all. You can have paper on the bottom but no bedding, they taste everything and cant spit things out there for eat it and it causes compaction.

the best way to tame an iguana is to go s l o w l y.... if you go faster the ig will fear you and it will actually slow down the process. first don't touch it, don't go near it, don't do anything around it, put your hand in the cage and touch the floor the walls fix things, don't look at your ig's eye or anything.

then you can put your hand next to your ig, if he runs let him go away and go back to not touching him, if he lets your hand there don't touch him, just leave it close to him for a few mins and talk to him, then if he is ok with that touch his side, or his belly don't reach for his back, once you can do that you can put your hand under him and pick him up, but don't take him out, just hold him and put him down... do your business in the cage, and then pick him up again, and after he is ok with that you can take him out

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sings that an ig is stressed...

1. they freeze... they don't move even if you hold them, they feel like they are made of wood

2. they close one eye that is next to you, this is their way of "ignoring the problem"

3. they run like their tail is on fire

4. they puff out their dwalup under their chin and puff their body, they can also combo this with rapid puffing and exhale, or snorting it sounds almost like a hiss, like they just got punched in the stomach and are releasing all the air they have

5. they change color, they become dark green-brown and seem nervous (displaying other signs ^^^)

and if your ig is doing this BACK OFF for a while and come back later you are scaring him and you need to let them realize you aren't gong to make iguana soup.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

We have all the proper Lighting, and yes I've read all of that information.

As far as food, we right now can only feed him something we buy called spring mix, it's dark leafy stuff. I know to stay away from iceberg, and all meat. Our Ig refuses to eat anything else. He'll eat around the stuff he doesn't want, and will just leave it to the side.

He's not really scared of us any more, that has gone away, He's just using us more as a means to escape, and is always trying to get to the mirror where he can see himself.

He's just a baby, so i don't want to encourage confusion for him, he's very smart. I just want to make him happy.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

the spring mix isn't very good, it is made up of lettuce, its not as bad as iceberg but its not good, plus some have spinach in it and thats no good, go get some collard greens, mustard greens, or turnip greens, along with some carrots, green beans, peas, and what have you, also you can try things like oranges, apples, pears, peaches, watermelon (not that good for them so you dont give a lot but they like it)

for a picky eater, i have found that if you find a fruit they like, then squeeze a piece over the other food so the juice gets on it and they eat it

what is your cage like? what is your igs snout to vent length?

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

from my experience i am sure he is afraid of you i don't think you could have it perfectly tame in 3 months as you say it runs away from you at any chance it gets. From what i have seen, Iguanas don't run unless they are afraid or mad.

My ig is 3 foot long and even if he doesn't want me to hold him he just walks and then gives me the mama don't pick me up look.

You said you had bedding in the cage, what is it? and get it OUT right NOW

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

No there is no bedding. Sorry I didn't respond to that part.

Snout to nose he's about 6 inches long. His cage was bought from someone with a large Ig, and is about 5feet long, 3feet wide, and 3 feet tall. I know that this is not big enough to last him for to long.

We are custom building him a cage.

He's not really afraid of us, He'll jump in our hands. It's just when he seems in a bad mood, or bored, he just wants to jump on us and run away to the mirror in the bathroom, like seriously... that's the only place he goes.

At first we were feeding him Carrots, purple cabbage, and a little lettuce, (and i know to stay away from iceberg), We tried a few different fruits rarely, and different veggies, but he'd always eat around them, then he stopped eating the cabbage, and now has stopped eating the carrots. We still put them in there he just refuses to eat them.

When we first got him, He refused to eat for a week. I bugged the pet store daily until they told me that they didn't know what was wrong and i could take him back if i wanted, but I am attached to him.

He isn't aggressive or angry, he's more submissive. He's never tried to swat at us, or bite us. he'll watch us a lot, and when he seems to be in a good more he'll climb all over us.

What are other veggies I can try. He has refused, spinach, carrots, cabbage, squash, avacado, and a few other types of lettuch. He right now is only eating the spring mix.

Also he gets direct sun light daily, out side of his cage. Glass and sun light makes me nervous, so we just let him sit in a window seal he seems to like.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

thats actually not direct sunlight thats filtered, not bad, just not good either... it will keep him nice and warm...

you can put a mirror in his cage but if he poofs his dwalup i'd take it out.

for food, i'd switch him over to what he should eat and not give him the spring mix unless he starts loosing weight, he will get hungry and eat it, don't expect him to eat it in the first 2 or 3 days though, they are stubborn but he needs to eat healthier foods

you said he was only a little more adjusted? but you say he will jump into your hands... that sounds more than a little.....

ig's like to be up high so let him sit on your shoulder, they normally like that.. and you can let him out in the bathroom to explore, and things you can also cover the mirror with paper or something so he can't look in it and only interact with you....

igs are solitary so don't get him a friend it wont be good, expecially in your size tank... i'm guessing he's a bit older if hes 6 inches already i guess like...... 10 months-1 1/2 years old as depending on the diet their growth is different

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure how old he is, we bought him from petco, I was asuming he was only a few months old at that time. I attached some pictures of him take earlier this month.

The first one is where he jumped from my arms to the counter and ran up to the mirror, The next is him sleeping in his first cage, please note that is not his current cage, although he is still the same size.

The 3rd and 4th were just the other day, To give him baths I don't put him in the bathtub because he is so small, and normally gets really scared if i remove my hand from the water, I had to for this picture so i could take it.

Personally I feel like he's just jumping on us to get out. but I may be wrong. 'cuz he doesn't stay, he just tryies to get away once we take him out. Except for when he's in the bathroom, or the windows.
DSC00563.jpg

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

DSC00566.jpg
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

OK, well he looks smaller than 6 inch vent to nose, maybe like 4.5 to 5ish.. you really need to change the diet since he hasn't grown much since you got him.....

just go slow, i noticed my ig being tamer around 5 months and then again a YEAR after i got him, most people will tell you the same thing, it takes a long long time to notice that they are tamer

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

We changed his food some, but I read from a tip site that if you stop putting lettuce in all together when they are used to it they will stop eating so, I've just added a little, but he's not really eating anything, just kinda nibbling at his food here and there.

During my last week off (this last week) he's has gotten to here it's almost like he's demanding we take him out of his cage. And since I am off 7 days in a row, on my off week I didn't mind.

It seemed strange though, like he would just lay in my hand and fall asleep. I know he was sleeping because he was fully relaxed and every once in a while would jerk like he was having a bad dream. If I moved him at all, he would started licking me a lot until I put him back, and he'd just get back in his relaxed position and stay there. This is a totally new behavior, that just started this last week.

But I started back on my 7 on shift yesterday, and he seems kinda pouty when I get home.

Do you all there is something behind him sleeping on me all the time now? Also any suggestions on how to get him to eat. As of now, I haven't found any fruits he likes, when we got him we tried several different things but he won't touch them.

I am open to any suggestions, since this is my first iguana, and first veggie only pet.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

well, the food you were giving doesn't give much for energy, also if he hasn't been eating much he will be more drowsy, also if you take him out and put him in the dark he will sleep, or in the cold he will sleep, if its nice and really warm he will sleep, also they are critters of habit, they will have a time each day that they are active, and a time that they nap. when you are at work you won't notice his nap time, they also sleep early, mine is normally going to sleep around 9pm gets up at 10pm and goes back to sleep around 11

i like squirting a fruit all over his food, to get him to eat it... be patient, and you can cut the lettuce out completely iguanas are stuborn but they don't starve themselves. keep putting it in there eventually he will eat it

what lights exactly do you have, i need to know the brand and the uvb and the distance and the temperatures and the humidity levels

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

he's normally pretty active. I'm home for a week at a time, for the most part he sleeps through the night. normally goes to sleep around 9, and stays asleep until around 7am ish (we are night owls so we're up til 5-6am sometimes). It was just kinda strange to me, that all of a sudden he's seemed kinda clingy.

As far as the lights I'm not sure, I know they are Uvb and uva they were what the pet store told my husband to buy. They were very helpful and had good information, the guy that was helping us has 2 12 yo igs, he helped me out for the most part on my first initial questions. They are about 10 inches from his basking area.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hmm. the best are maga ray lights, i suggest that you get Hatfeild's book called The Ultimate owners manual Green Iguana and read it cover to cover, your petstore guy might not be as great as you think, he may be, but may not be. that book is the most respected in the iguana world

also take you ig to the vet if you haven't bring fresh poo with you to get tested for parasites, many have them

[/CENTER]

Tags
bored, iguana, lonely, sad iguana