A new addition to the zoo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

A new addition to the zoo

I was out last night messing around and happened to find a little meditteranean gecko running around. I thought it might be interesting to watch him grow and just have a lizard around, so I caught him and took him home. Right now I have him in a 10 gallon terrarium with about 1 inch of sand in the bottom, 2 shelter rocks, a water dish, a small deer antler for climbing, and about 10 small crickets. I stuck a screen on top just in case. He seems to be doing well, he already ate a cricket and is checking the place out. Is there anything else I need to get? I keep it a constant 75 degrees in my room, and he'll be getting sunlight for around 5 hours per day. I'll get a heating lamp for him in the winter, but I don't think he needs one right now. I'm kind of new to lizards, I had two leopard geckos about 6 years ago, but nothing since then. Oh, and roughly how big do they get? He's about 1 1/2 inches right now (no tail, he didn't have one when I found him). Are they typically kept as pets or are they wild? I know we have a lot around here, but I haven't ever seen them in pet stores. Anyway, and info would help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proudly Owned By
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senegal Bichir ~ Eli
Ferret ~ Cooter Brown
Horses ~ Saturn, Gypsy, Ti, Sharky & Pistol
Dogs ~ Shiloh, Piggy, Buster, Morgan & Rags
Cats ~ Tiger, Leo & Angel
Cows ~ Slobbergut & No name

~*No i brestanneth anirach tirad vi amar*~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Loopy AppleNose

I've kept them in the past. Interesting little guys.

You're setup should be fine, they're pretty adaptable - at least to urban areas.

Normally reach about 4 or 5 inches in length. Originally from the Old World, S. Europe or Africa, so you've got an interesting little guy there.

As they are nocturnal, I never used UVA/UVB. Opinions differ on this, I suppose.

Here's one of my Hemidactylus turcicus from the past. Sorry, terrible picture. It's all that's left:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner

Tags
leopard gecko, pet store, pet stores