New Beardies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question New Beardies

The guy we were going to buy our Beardie from called us to ask us if we would take 2 instead of one, and if he could bring them down, set up and all. (Yay! Me) So he tells us how someone returned them to him, and that they can live together. They currently live in a very large tank. But he also brought two mice, he said the previous owner was feeding them mice??? I have never read this, I do not like the idea of feeding live rodents to anything...and they super stink, I assume because the male is in the mouse cage. My question is can I find homes for the mice? We have lots of yummy wax worms, and meal worms. They are each about 6-7 inches long.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yes, I would definitely find homes for the mice. As far as I know beardies shouldn't be fed mice AT ALL. I could be wrong on this so if I am I apologize before hand. As far as I know its not healthy for them to eat mice it can cause impaction pinkies are alright once in a while but anything larger and your running a risk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 AM
RAT ADDICT

I never heard beardies eating adult mice either.
I heard of pinkies from time to time.I would just rehome the mice.

Do you have pictures of your beardies?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks guys! I'm letting them settle in for a bit before I take some pictures...well that and the cats for some reason think that it's some sort of Kitty TV Show! Just because it's new I think!

~W.C. Fields
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:32 PM
is a little "special"

Congrats on your new little ones!
... Mice? Really?! Wow. Just wow... Especially if they are only 7 in. long! Some people are so strange.

But Im sorry to tell you that 2 beardies can NOT live together. They might act OK for now, but chances are that one will snap and kill/hurt the other.
What tends to happen with 2 babies is that the dominant one will steal everything from the other- He will get all the food, the best basking spots, ect. and will quickly out grow the other one... And half the time, the smaller one will get its limbs bitten off or even be eaten by the other. Ive heard of and seen pics of beardies that have lost ALL of their limbs from being kept with others, and Ive even heard stories where the large one ate the small one, got impacted, and both ended up dying. Bearded dragons are NOT social creatures, and they dont view the other beardie as a friend- just some thing to compete with for food ect. If you end up with a male/male pair, they will fight to the death. Male/female and the male can literally breed the female to death. Femal/female will still fight too.
Sorry for the long speech, but I hope you understand that they can not live together no matter what the breeder says!

And I would actually stop with the mealies too- they have alot of chitin in their shell, and the little ones cant digest it very well. If you want something similar, go with some micro supers. They look the same, but have a much softer shell!

Im sorry if it sounds like Im being overly critical, but I really want to you have a good start with your beardies! Cant wait for pics!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

No, not too long. TY Jess. They came with all that stuff...I thought the mice were a little strange, and smelly! I thought they would quickly tire of each other, they push each other off the driftwood thing, then open their mouths, and kinda....hrmm bob I guess. So I thought I'd get another largish tank tomorrow. And I'll get some other stuff for them to eat.
I've decided to call them Sam, and Bruce. After Sam Rami and Bruce Campbell.

And after a good look at them, they are about 10 inches long. But I like them, they are very alert, I think they like watching us. Bruce likes his head scratched, he's the largest of the two.

Sorry the pic is kinda crappy, it's from my cell phone, made worse by the fact that I tried to make it bigger with picnik.

The tank they are currently in is a 30g Long tank, so they look larger than they are.

And Jess, can I change the background thing? They keep trying to climb the "trees" in the background. Perhaps to one without cacti!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beardies1.jpg (38.5 KB, 14 views)

~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 PM
is a little "special"

Sure, it wont hurt to change the background. Just make sure that there is something covering the sides of the tank, so they feel more secure! You can even just tape sonstruction paper on the sides, or Ive actually painted bachground right on the glass. Its kinda fun!

Oh, and you will definatly want to take out that sand too! The younger ones tend to get a mouth full of it when they try to catch their buggies (they arent very accurate hunters yet!), and it harbors so much bacteria that you are just asking for parasites. I love tile, but paper towels, reptile carpet, and non-stick shelf liner work great too!

And thanks for seperating them! The behaviors your describing are actually all signs of them bullying each other for dominance, so they would for sure get much worse in the future. Do you have them sexed yet, or know their age? According to the little black beard I see in the pic, you probably have at least one male! And if Im remembering right, they should be around 4-5 months at that size. They are adorable BTW!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We haven't had them sexed yet, and I didn't like the sand, so I did actually take it out, mostly because it seemed to hold a lot of moisture in there, it was like scooping a large litter box. I put in some reptile carpet. I got two matching 55 gallon breeders tank (TY CL) with a stand for $200, and I just got a second light. I'll put something on the backs and sides. They kept trying to climb on the pants on the background that was on there before!
They are good little eaters..and crickets stink!

That's Bruce in the bottom tank, he seems the friendlier of the two. I think Keith was holding Sam, I took the picture while I was cleaning his water, he likes to poo in it..yuck!
They are in our bedroom, and like to keep the cats entertained!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beardies3.jpg (8.8 KB, 11 views)

~W.C. Fields
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
is a little "special"

Looking good! Its SO much easier to keep a clean cage with out loose substrate!
And wow... They look alot bigger than I thought! Are you sure they are only 10 inches? They look more like Winks size (18 in) compared to the tank!
BTW, you actually dont need to keep a water dish in the tank if you dont want to. Most of them dont know how to drink out of it anyway. Soaking them a few times a week keeps them hydrated just fine.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

omg, beardies don't drink? haha that is awkward! I didn't know hehe
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
is a little "special"

LOL, they drink but they usually dont get the concept of a dish! In the wild, they never will see a puddle of water- they get it all from veggies and bugs. So baths are a better way to hydrate them, and sometimes they will drink their bath water. The dishes create more humidity in their cages too.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM
RAT ADDICT

I learned something new today too! I didn't know this either.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I forgot to reply all those moons ago! I thought that they looked big in the one tank, well, I guess because there were two of them in there, and I have really poor depth perception (no worries, I don't drive) But yeah, the boys are just past 17"-I did take the water bowls out, they only seemed to care about pooping in them. And I've discovered that they are like little dogs! It's so odd, I never thought they'd be like that!

I do have a question though, one that my vet couldn't answer because he doesn't generally see reptiles. Sam, the larger of the two really seems to like to rub his nose on the repti-turf. Dr Mac said that he didn't have any respritory issues, and seemed healthy. Is this normal? Because his nose now looks like he has road rash!? Bruce is doing well, he digs me!

~W.C. Fields
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, having beardies is much different than you would expect... They are pretty personable little guys!
Are they by chance shedding their faces? Because when they do, they are really itchy... They will rub their faces on anything rough (including the reptile carpet!) and even scratch their head with their feet like little dogs. If he is shedding, you can give him a bath and scrub some of the shed off with a toothbrush to help him along.
If not, you might want to check into mites and other external parasites.
You should probably find a reptile-savvy vet too- alot of meds for other animals can kill a beardie, so you wouldnt want an unknowing vet to prescribe you something wrong.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I found a vet in Olean NY that see's reptiles. I gave him a bath, and he didn't really seem to enjoy that. And I'll take both of them, since they shared a tank. My appointment is on Thursday.

~W.C. Fields

Tags
bearded dragons