New leo baby - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

New leo baby

This funny looking little pink thing is Miyuki, our newest addition...

She's newly hatched in that photo. She is a Diablo Blanco leopard gecko, and hatched on June 14th. My adult leopard geckos, Haku and Aurora, are her parents. I was very privileged to actually be able to watch her hatch! Here are a few random shots out of all the ones I took while she was hatching...

She is 4 days old now and doing well. Very feisty and active. She's already starting to change her colors and isn't that bright pink color anymore. She should be all white with red eyes when she's an adult.

Everyone kept telling me about how nasty leopard gecko babies can be, that they like to scream and bite because they are not used to humans yet. I was all prepared to get my first leopard gecko bite from her...but other than running around her tank like a nut when I check on her, she's been very civil towards me I'm starting to think I'll never get bit by a leopard gecko, lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Betta Bomb

OMG congrats!! I heard how hard it is to be breeding reps. It's not cute perse but I think its neat!! How long will it take for her to be adult?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh congrats! He's cute in his own weird way.

When I had leos,they would breed and my female laid eggs,but she laid duds (that is why the breeder gave her to me). I didn't know they could scream though...interesting.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
is a little "special"

Aww, she's adorable! She looks like a mutant pinky.
That's awesome that you get to watch her hatch and everything. Did you incubate more of the eggs, or just this one?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She's so cute! You should take a picture of her near a coin or something, I bet she's tiny!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'll work on getting some more pictures. She's tiny...just 4 grams when she hatched but I haven't weighed her again since. I wanted to measure how long she is, but she moves around so much that it's hard for me to even get decent pictures of her now.

Yup leo's can scream, it's pretty normal for the babies. You can find videos of them doing it on youtube. Haku, my adult male, is actually pretty vocal for a leo and will make noises when I handle him, but so far I haven't heard a peep out of the baby.

Her egg is the only one I've incubated full term so far. Aurora laid another egg at the same time as Miyuki's egg but it ended up being infertile.

She should reach her full adult size somewhere between 12 - 18 months, some take a little bit longer or grow a little bit faster so it's just an estimate. I'm looking forward to watching her grow. If you can't tell by the fact that we already named her, we will be keeping her

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 PM
RAT ADDICT

My male would make faint growly-hissy sounds if he was grumpy,but that is the only noise I heard out of my geckos. My female never ever made a sound. I shall look on YouTube!

Yay for more pics. I look forward to seeing her grow.

Are you planning on breeding geckos or just keeping this little one?
Just curious. I knew a couple of leo breeders here,but they either moved or stopped breeding...but it was neat going to their houses and seeing all the different morphs and such. I love geckos.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Betta Bomb

It would be cool to watch it being born and grow up! Will she live with the other 2? Or will they kill her as she grows?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Nope she'll be getting her own tank. Right now she's so small that the other two might try to eat/hurt her. But when she's older I wouldn't want to put her with the other two just because her father would most likely try to breed with her, and I don't want that.

She's in a tiny cage right now since she's so small but I'll be setting up at least a 20 long tank for her once she gets a bit older/bigger.

Yeah I'm planning on breeding more, but keeping it very very small scale. Right now I just have Haku and Aurora breeding, and I'll probably keep it that way for awhile. Maybe get another pair or two eventually, but not any time too soon.

Here she is today - 4 days old. You can see she's already starting to change colors a bit. She's next to a nickle so you can kind of judge her size. It's so hard to get good photos of her, she never wants to stay still.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Betta Bomb

omg she's so small!!! lol
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Adolescent Pup

wow shes beautiful i didnt know they could be that color when they hatch o.o are you sure shes a girl? i was told i wouldnt be able to tell for sure with mine till they were much bigger =/ and i was bitten once by ickis cuz my cat scared her but it didnt hurt it was more of a shock bite then a intentional chomp. Ickis used to scream when i got her =D she stopped after 2 weeks and now she looks up and will wait for me to pick her up when i walk up to the cage. albi still runs =/
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

They aren't normally that color as hatchlings but she is because of her morph. Normally they are yellow with bands unless they are a special morph.

Nope I'm not 100% sure she's really a girl but her egg was incubated at female temps. A lot of the time you can determine leopard gecko sex by the temperature you use to incubate the eggs at. At lower temps, most of the babies will be female. At higher temps, you get mostly males.

Until she proves me otherwise, I'm going to keep calling her a girl haha.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Betta Bomb

wow, so you can play god by regulating the temp to make a boy or girl?!?!! COOL!!!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
wow, so you can play god by regulating the temp to make a boy or girl?!?!! COOL!!!
... And if you switch the temps during the incubation, you end up with females that act male, or vice versa LOL.
So you can basically make shmann geckos.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Betta Bomb

LOL that's insane!!!