not eating whats wrong - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question not eating whats wrong

i have had my beardie for about 6 months his name is bubba he is very active and loves food more than me haha but the past 6 days he has only eaten 2 superworms and nothing else temps are fine and i just changed his uvb/uva light any ideas on he did just get done shedding and he is approximatly 18 inch from head to tail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Did he eat those superworms six days ago or just now? Sometimes reptiles will refuse food when they're shedding which is why I ask (that would mean he'd start eating now).

Do you use calcium/vitamin supplements? And is the new bulb the same as the old one? Have you tried other insects and is he eating any greens?

You might want to take him to a reptile vet if this continues. They can pinpoint the problem easier than someone online.

Good luck with him!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

well i made an appointment but the doc didnt seem to nervous so he said to bring him in on thursday you see bubba has had a past medical history that isnt so good i got him when he was said to be 5 years old and the owner at the time only fed him 24 crickets once every friday and no veggies or greens also all he had was a heat light no uvb/uva and almost no human contact when we got him he weight 256 grams the doc said he should be somewhere around the 350 gram range so we got him all the way to 315 and now again he seems to be losing weight he finished shedding maybe 2 weeks ago and then all of a sudden 3 days no food he ate 2 supers on the 4th day and today was the 7th day and nothing more veggies and greens are not touched at all im nervouse about this its just not bubba to not eat hopefully the vet has some good news and to answer your question about insects and truthfully i just thought about this he just to et crickets only and then i think he got bored with them and only would eat superworms maybe he is getting bored with them we did try crickets again but still wants nothing to do with them hmmmmm well here is hoping that is all it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 AM
is a little "special"

What are your temperatures? If the temps are too low, your beardie could be having a hard time digesting food and not want to eat. It should be 110* under the basking light, and 75-85* on the cool side of the tank. What UVB are you using? Is it a tube or coil/compact? Some brands can cause problems that make them not want to eat too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

the temps are what you said they stay put and the uvb/uva is a reptisun 10.0 not a coil i dont like them just a long tube its what i have always used he does go through periods of not eating but never for this long i hate to think it but bubba is an older beardie and he did have a horrible 5 years with his previous owner is it possible that it may be his time soon? is this a sign maybe he is just giving up other than not eating and losing weigh he is still same ole bubba attitude and all
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
is a little "special"

Well your UVB is definatly not a problem- ReptiSun 10.0 is one of the best. And if your temps are good then he should be fine with digesting stuff. I know they dont eat when they go into brumation, but they shouldnt be losing weight when they brumate.
The only other thing I can think of is impaction. Do you keep him on a loose substrate, like sand, walnut shells, bark, wood shavings, ect? Or did he eat any bugs that might have been to big or anything else out of the ordinary? Is he still going to the bathroom, or did he stop going a little while before he stopped eating?
Giving him a warm soak would probably help him, weather he is impacted or not. When I rescued my baby beardie, he was extremly dehydrated and that was the main reason he wouldnt eat. After you soak him, let him bask for 30 min or so, and try offering some more bugs. If he still wont eat that, try syringe feeding him some baby food and some pedialyte (Sp?) or Gaterade... Most wont be able to resist that! And the Pedialyte or Gaterade will help replace electrolytes and give him some more energy.
When you are at the vets, it wouldnt hurt to get him tested for parasites too, because that can make them lose weight.

If he has had a rough past, it could just be his time too. But he doesnt seem to be that old, so maybe not.
Keep us updated! I hope he gets better!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

well to answer your question sorry it took so long bubba had his doc visit yesterday and he said he lost 26 grams since july 1 call me silly but i just dont think he should be losing at all but the vet wasnt to worried he said they go thorugh periods of that kinds of stuff i never hadany reason to doubt the vet but im just not liking his answer he did eat some greens yesterday and a few more worms nothing like was he can eat though i think i will try the gatorade but and if this is a silly question then nevermind but what flavor (maybe mango he likes them) he poops fine and he is on alfalfa meal (looks like rabbit food) you know what he may be dehydrated i just read what you said before his poop has been kind of hard so maybe thas it well its time for his bath anyway so we will see what happens thanks alot
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Buy a gram scale (like the kind used to weigh food or packages) and weigh him every day. That way you can see if he's consistently losing weight or not. It's a great thing to have when you keep reptiles, anyways .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
is a little "special"

Ive heard that they love Strawberry-Kiwi I think Ill buy some for my lil guy, and some Sqush baby food. I hear they go crazy for that stuff!
And about your substrate: Eating too much alfalfa meal can acually cause impaction, although a tiny amount is digestable. If you want, you can try keeping him on paper towels or newspaper for a week or so and see if that helps. When my beardie accidentally ate a little bit of alfalfa pellet (its what I feed my crickets, and he missed the cricket and ate the alfalfa) he didnt go to the bathroom for a couple days, so I know that that stuff isnt very easy to digest.
You can try feeding him some yummy Wax worms to help fatten him up too!
Your doing a great job taking care of him! I hope he gets better!

Tags
beardie, not eating