peach and biscuit - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

peach and biscuit

here are my two beardies Peach and Biscuit... they are about 3 months old, peach has this thing that pravents him from growing, he is for sale, and is not sick, just dosnt grow, he eats about 35 crickets a day, and drinks like crazy.. haha hes soo cool, and he loves to be held, if anyone is inrerested please let me no and ill see what i can do =]

thats peach

thats biscuit.

enjoyy [:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Title Thief Victim

ohh very cute!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

They are cute.How old are they?

I want a beardie in the future,but not right now.I am not really prepared for one right now.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Oily Chickenspew

cute. what exactly does peach have? did you determine this or a vet? are you a breeder? (sorry so many ?'s...i'm just really interested in getting a beardie and have been looking for whom i want to buy from hehe)

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

Have you tried feeders other than crickets?
They tend to be dirty and if not kept -extremely- clean carry things like coccidia which can impair a beardies growth.
You might also try offering some more crickets than you are. My beardie at 9months was still eating between 50 and 100 small crickets per day on top of greens.
If you havent (and can afford it!) I'd recommend trying some silkworms for him. They are much better nutritionally than crickets and I've even heard that some keepers are using roaches as well.

Gorgeous beardies though!
If I could convince the hubby, I'd take Peach in a heartbeat...beautiful colors.

It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

he eats about 300+ crickets... he eats like a horse. no lie... im not sure what he has, but hes so sweet, and loves to be handled
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

oh yeah, and what are some other feeders that beardies could eat?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

They can eat superworms...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

Superworms are best once they reach juvenile age range because of the chitin and potential impaction.
Crickets, Phoenix worms, Silkworms, superworms and roaches are the primary feeders most keepers use.
I've used crickets (Yuck...not worth it) and silkies for staples with hornworms/goliath worms as backups when he gets finicky. Waxworms and butterworms are best as treats, rarely fed. Think of them as chocolate bars for lizards. LoL.
When feeding them their greens, think 'soul food', the darker green the better for them. Collards, mustard and turnip greens are the primary ones I use with fruit no more than 3 times a week and banana -rarely- because the potassium binds to calcium in their system which is -badbadbad-. Mango, stawberries, pears, grapes and apples tend to be our lizards favorites.
Calicium should be given daily and vitamins a minimum of three times a week at Peach and Bisciuts age, cut back to three times a week for calcium and once a week for vitamins once they hit adult stage between 12 months and 18 months old.
Heat is essential to their growth as well, if their viv isnt hot enough, they cannot digest their food and therefore wont grow. Best temps are a range around 80-85 on the cool side of the viv and 105-110 (I prefer the midrange of that, 110 seems to be too hot for ours) for the basking spot. Brightly lit viv is also a must for best activity levels from your beardie and a UVB light so that they can utilize the calcium supplements you should be feeding them daily. A mercury vapor bulb makes a world of difference in a lizard (from my experience with ours) if you can afford it. It puts out higher levels of UVB and a better quality as well, but has minimum distance standards which if you cannot meet, stick with the florescent bulbs and be sure to replace them every 6 months to maximize UVB exposure. Reptisun 10's are considered to be the current best florescent bulbs for reptiles on the market.
As they get bigger, they need more space, minimum recommendations for a single beardie is 8 sq ft of space, which translates to 4' x 2' (Min height of viv is usually 18"-24"). We keep ours currently in a 4'x2'x3', the additional height because he seems to prefer climbing to running around. LoL .
Its usually best to keep them off of particle substrates until they are at least a year old and you are sure they arent lickers. If they arent, washed and sifted playsand is best. The sands sold at petstores tend to bind when wet and if a lizard ingests it, can cause a fatal impaction. Other substrates used are reptile carpet, tile, non-adhesive shelf liner and so on. I use the shelf liner because its easy to clean and I can have several on hand to swap out when he messes. Just toss in the washer with a 10% bleach solution and all done. LoL.

If this is too much info or I got to pushy, sorry! LoL. I remember all the mistakes I made when we first got our boy and tend to be a little overzealous when attempting to help someone with beardies.
If you have any more questions or want some sites dedicated to beardie care, send me an im and I'll be more than happy to send over those that I have.

It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 02:31 PM

THEY ARE FRIGGIN ADORABLE! I have a 9 inch 4 month old beardie. I love him! His name is Axel