Pet Chameleon ;) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Pet Chameleon ;)

Hello
I've been thinking of getting a pet Chameleon for months now
can you plz help me with stuff like habitats and cages,good food diets and more information
im gonna ask some questions
1:whats the best bedding for the cage
2: best diets
3:watering (about it i cant get it by electricity) and stuff like that
AND THNX

plz give me information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

chameleons dont drink out of a bowl so you have to mist them a few times a day, so they can drink off the plants best diet is to offer them a variety of things like crickets meal worms ect make sure you powder your crickets adleast twice a month to give extra protien,and as for bedding i prefere, the exo earth but thats just me heres a few websites for basic care it will go alot easier once you figure out what type of chameleon you want please note that chameleons do stress out easy and are one of the hardest ones to keep alive due to this. they are not the type of reptile to be handled there more of a display pet.
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/chame...onbasics_2.htm
http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/con...-chameleon.asp

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Last edited by Nibbler; 09-11-2011 at 01:12 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

When I was younger I very much wanted a Chameleon, but never got one due to how difficult they can be to keep. I seem to also remember them being fussy in regards to both temperature and humidity.
Gorgeous animals though!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they are also one of the more expensive lizards, and one of the shortest lived.

Some live 2-3 years.

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Resident Zoologist

Hard question because you have not named any particular species. The requirements for various species vary so greatly...some need temps of around 80F, some die if temps reach greater than 75F, some are as long as your arm, others are dwarfed by your finger, etc, etc.

As a starter species, I would suggest a veiled chameleon, as they tend to be the most forgiving and easy to keep, are readily available, and not too expensive. Do your research on those, but be prepared to spend at least $400-$600 on proper caging, lighting, watering, etc...plus around $100 for the chameleon. As has been mentioned, do be aware that most species have relatively short lifespans, so get a young specimen from a reputable breeder, not an adult (that may well be already 2-3 years through its expected 4-5 year life expectancy) from a shop.

I am unsure what your question about watering is actually asking.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:18 AM
Playful Pup

is there any company that can ship a pet Chameleon in pakistan because I have searched and contact with a Lot of traders but they cant ship in pakistan..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaif0346 View Post
is there any company that can ship a pet Chameleon in pakistan because I have searched and contact with a Lot of traders but they cant ship in pakistan..
Likely Pakistani import restrictions....you need to check with local government if it is legal or possible to import them.

Aquarist since 1971

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Likely Pakistani import restrictions....you need to check with local government if it is legal or possible to import them.
hey dear !
I have checked its legal. here are some pet traders they can do but their rats are expensive out of mind Like 400-500$ for a Senegal specie and its rate on web is 70$..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaif0346 View Post
hey dear !
I have checked its legal. here are some pet traders they can do but their rats are expensive out of mind Like 400-500$ for a Senegal specie and its rate on web is 70$..
Bear in mind the cost of permits (probably a good $200 worth), shipping, etc....it is far less expensive (per animal) to import twenty, than just one, as permits cover multiple animals, so long as they are in the same shipment.

Aquarist since 1971

Tags
pet chameleon information