Rescue iguana wont eat. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Rescue iguana wont eat.

I recently got an iguana from a friend at work. I asked him how well he was taking care of him. He told me he had him in a 55 gallon tank. He kept him by a window for sunning. I found out he didnt have a uvb bulb on him. He said he thought the sun would take care of that. I informed him that wasnt good. He has had it for about a year or so. I have had him for a week now in a cage I built. I got him a uvb bulb and heat bulb. He hasnt ate since I got him. He told me he wasnt eating that much. I know he is probably stressed. What is anybodies best advice for me to get him to eat. I am starting to get worried. I appreciate all and any help.

Thanks
Ryan

I have owned an iguana before. Not new at owning them.

Last edited by Flyersfan5520; 07-16-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Have you brought him to a vet?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

no. where I live there are no reptile vets around. He is still very green. He is active. But doent seem to have an appetite. It does look like he ate a little. Should I keep the uvb bulb on as much as possible to make up for lost time without it. Im not sure if too much is a bad thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Just leave it on for a regular 12 hours. Leaving it on 24-7 is going to stress him out. By the way, what's the wattage of the bulb?

What's the temperature of the enclosure? How about the basking spot? What have you been trying to feed him?

If you want to keep an exotic like that, though, it's only fair to the animal to have access to good vet care.

http://www.exoticpetvet.com/
http://www.animalark.us/
http://www.animalhouseofchicago.com/
http://www.burnhamparkvet.com/

Those are all in Chicago, try one of them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

what are you giving him to eat? and where are you keeping him?

They can get stressed if you are around too much, or trying to mess with them, or going in and out of the cage all the time.

The new cage, and new home, new person was a lot to ask of him to feel comfortable with.

Also how old/how big/ and is it a boy? It is breeding season around this time.

How big is your cage? they need a 4 foot by 6 foot by 6 foot tall cage as adults.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Its a 26w exo terra 10.0 bulb about a foot from the basking spot. A 75 w heat lamp at about 90 degrees in the basking spot. He is about 8 inchs in the body and 20 inchs total. I feed him endive, collard greens, snap peas, strawberries, grapes, and canteloupe. The cage is about two feet by 3 feet by 3 feet tall with two upper levels. And a hiding spot.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

are you trying to handle at all?

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

No I dont. He doesnt seem skinny. How much and how often do they usually eat. I give him new food everyday. Sometimes it looks like he might have eaten but not sure. the food just isnt in the same little pile it was in before. Not sure if he just walked through it or hit it with his tail. Like I said he is very green. Almost neon. How long is too long for him to not eat?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well I finally saw him eat. He ate about four or five bites of his food. Does that seem like enough? He is getting more and more active as time goes by.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 PM
is a little "special"

Kendalle, do you know if the Exo Terra UVBs are OK for iggies? I know that for beardies, those bulbs arent very good... Theyve been known to cause appetite issues. Im not sure if it is the same for iguanas, but personally I would stick with the ReptiSun brand. Those are one of the best

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

There are a lot of different kinds, the long bulbs are better, the spiral or coiled ones aren't. They cause eye issues. I don't know of a bulb that causes appetite issues.

I have a reptisun as well i don't know much about exo terra

They can last a while with out eatting, just leave him alone n he shouldn't starve, if he starts loosing weight you'll have to take him to the vet

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I only have the 10.0 cause he is a bit from from the bulb. It is about a foot or so away.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Newborn Pup

I had the same problem with my iguana I got him at the city fair he is very agressive and wont eat unless I put his food on his limb that he bask's on. I have even got him out and rubbed him untill he got calm then hand feed him. It worked. What are you feeding him? and what is the temp. in his cage? He will starve him self. I think you should try force feeding. Only if its been more than a week that he hasnt ate.And I have learned that if you leave and it very calm in the room you keep him he might eat.

Tags
not eating, sick