Rescued Baby Beardie from Being Euthanized... Really Need HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Exclamation Rescued Baby Beardie from Being Euthanized... Really Need HELP!

Okay...
So, I spent today observing at the vets. They had 2 baby bearded dragons from Petco- One had a leg amputated, and one had a bad eye. The receptionist was abopting the one with the amputed leg, and the one with the eye problem was going to be euthanized later today... Untill I saved his little life!
So, they arent completely sure what wrong with this little guy. He wont open his eye, and its probably either an infection or his eye is just damaged. Hes been at the vets for about a week and he wont eat on his own (I have to force feed him) and hes lethargic. Hes been on 2 rounds of antibiotics, and they havent helped any.
He might just not want to eat because he cant see out of his one eye, and Im hoping that thats all. Since he wont swallow any whole force-fed mealies (he sits there and gags on them untill he can spit them out) Im gonna try cruching up some mealies and mixing them with some banana or other mushy food so I can syringe feed him.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Ive never owned a lizard before, and I definatly wasnt planning on owning a bearded dragon today! Usually I do a ton of research before even thinking about getting a new pet, but I managed to squeezing in about 15 minutes before taking him home. I know the basics, but thats about it.
Hes currently in a 10gal with some food, water, and decor... Ill post pics later. Im setting him up with a heat lamp in a minute, but Ill need a UV bulb if he makes it. Oh, and they guessed hes about 3-4 months old. Hes about 5-6 in long.

Wish him luck! I named him Wink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Hello Earthling

Poor little guy.

Bearded dragons also require veggies in addtion to mealworms, crickets and other feeders. Be sure you are also supplementing with calcium to avoid MBD, which is a deadly illness where reptiles to not have enough calcium. Feeders like silkworms and phinox (sp) worms (fly larva, also sometimes called calci worms) are great for calcuim in addition to calcium powder. Dust feeders everyother day with the calcium powder.

UV lighting is benificial to their health. Use tiles, paper towel, paper or reptile carpet as a substrate. Stay away from sand and other lose materials to avoid impactation.

post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Hello Earthling

Provide things to climb on such as rocks and wood. At least two sides - one of the cool side and one on the warm side.NEVER EVER USE A HEAT ROCK. Heat rocks can cause serious injury.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/
http://www.bearded-dragons.com/forum/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.herpcenter.com/bearded-dragon-caresheet.html

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks everyone
I already knew about the imoaction issues with lizards, so I have him on some reptile carpet, with a big wood decor that reaches all the way to the top so he pcan get close to the lamp, and a log with a hole in the middle to hide in.
His bulb is only 60W, but Im going to change it to a 100W, and Ill buy a UV buld for him if he survives a the week.

Anyway, he seems to be doing OK today. Hes just basking on his branch thingy, and he struggles a little if yo pick him up and he is holding his head up... Better than before! I managed to get a little bit of my lovely banana-meal worm mix down him last night. Im worried that force feeding him is really stressing the lil guy out, but he refuses to eat on his own! Its really hard to get his little mouth open with out hurting him too, and keeping it open long enough to put something in it.
Im going to give him a bath in warm water today, because I heard that that can help hydrate them, and hopefully help with their appetite.

Wish Wink luck! Im really excited to be a new beardie owner, and I cant wait to set him up a nicer tank in my 20gal if he make it <3

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Hello Earthling

I would personally get him a UV light as soon as possible. I've heard from other bearded dragon owners that there is usually a great improvment in the lizards health once the lizard has UV.

When you give him a bath ( more like a soak) be sure to provide something so he can climb out of the water if he needs to and only use a few cm of water to avoid drowning.

Good luck with him and contras and your new pet.

post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

OK, Ill get him a bulb next time I go to the petstore (hopefully today!). He hasnt been under UV for over a week, so maybe that would perk him up. I read it can help with appetite too.

post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Congrats on the new addition! I would so love to get a beardie someday, so I am jealous! I hope he gets better and can pull through.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

No doubt he's in the best hands!! Good luck! can't wait for pics!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks!

When I soaked him in warm water, he drank a TON! I think he was just really dehydrated, because after that he was very alert and leaping around like a normal little beardie.... Still no eating, but he seems a little more interested in his mealies and licked them a little before running away from me.
I finally got his cage to the right temp too- about 95*F on the bottom on the warm side, and over 100*F near the lamp.
I took some pics that I will upload soon!

post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Update- He ate a small meal worm! He sort of ate it by himself. I was holding him and poking his mouth with it, and he got really mad at me and finally just slurped it up. He wouldnt eat any more though.
When I was trying to get him to eat more, he acually leaped out of my hand and tried to run away a few times! Thats a HUGE improvement! Im so proud of Wink... hes looking great, and Im sure he'll survive with some TLC.
I dont think he has gone to the bathroom yet today though, but I know he went yesterday. Ill give him one more bath and feed him again later tonight.

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have to agree that picking up a UVB bulb would be a good idea .

Good luck with him and keep us updated!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Hello Earthling

That's great that he ate !!! Have you tried silk worms, Or any other worms (Ok well larva) You can offer butter worms as a treat but you have to be super careful with them as sometimes reptiles will get picky and only want butter worms, which is not good for them. But butter worms are great for getting some weight on them. In moderation of course

Keep us updated

post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

All I have are the meal worms that I got from the vets... When I get his UVB bulbs, I might get some small crickets or other worms. Ill check into those butter worms.

post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yay! Jess, that's so exciting!! Sounds like he's making a huge improvement!!! I wish you and Wink the best of luck! That's an adorable name for him, BTW!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Tags
bearded dragon, not eating, sick