Is it safe to do this? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Is it safe to do this?

ok so my iguanas tank is always really dark and i thought he might enjoy some more light in his tank.. i used to use the tank for fish so i have a light thing it uses those long light buld thing.. and the light buld is made for fresh water fish.

so what im wondering is is it ok to use it for that? i feel kind of dumb asking it but im not sure and i dont want it to be bad for him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You can use it, it just sounds like regular fluorescent lighting. Although I'm surprised the tank is dark with the UV-B bulb since that's usually a fluorescent bulb, too.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yeah its just a tube thing and i bought it at petsmart it said it was for fresh water fish.. i think its just a certain color to make the water look nicer or something. i dont really care for it its kind of a bue color but its only night on one side of the cage.. the uvb one isnt a tube light

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of UV-B bulb do you have? The only other one I'm aware of is a power compact bulb and a lot of people have reported problems with those (mainly the high wattage ones, I'm not sure what wattage is used for iguanas as I'm a turtle person). You might want to consider just getting a regular tube UV-B bulb to solve both problems .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

its spirally.. i think the wattage is 100 or 150 or something but im not totally sure

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

the compact ones can harm their eyes.

You should make a simple hip leash and take your ig out side in the sun it gives the best uvb light and it doesn't harm their eyes.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
the compact ones can harm their eyes.

You should make a simple hip leash and take your ig out side in the sun it gives the best uvb light and it doesn't harm their eyes.
sorry. just saw this. i have a leash thing thats like a harness.. it doesnt work very well for me..

how do i make one of those ?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
is a little "special"

On another forum I'm on, there is someone who custom makes really nice reptile harnesses for $5 shipped. I'll give you their email if you want. Dud's getting one for his birthday.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 PM
is a little "special"

Here ya go:

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/v...p?f=2&t=136827

Their website:
http://www.oglerpets.com/lizard-leashes.php

[email protected]

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I like the ones that go around the hips for iguanas better, they slip out of the front ones easier and it can damage their spines more.

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-hip-leash.html

Plus it costs less than a dollar new, and you can most likely find the stuff on old coats you have.

Keep in mind it is NOT a leash it is a tether. you will not be walking your iguana it just makes it less likely to lose your ig.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Betta Bomb

I always thought pure natural sunlight would be the best for reps. Every chance I got (Newfoundland summers sometimes don't wait around before it rains again) I would put the turtles in the grass or on the deck (once my creepy neighbors caught sight of them). You can't mimic the sun!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yep it is the best. Even on a cloudy day.

But here in iowa you don't have many chances to get it

[/CENTER]

Tags
fish, iguana, light