Savannah Monitor - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Savannah Monitor

This is my Savannah Monitor, Chaos. He's about 16 inches long in this picture he's a little fatter now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26177_107817929243418_100000456350392_146088_1532235_n.jpg (8.2 KB, 17 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
is a little "special"

Hes beautiful! I love Sav. Monitors!
What are their personalities like? Ive heard that they are dog-like... Would it be like a giant beardie? LOL
They get 4-5ft, right? Youre gonna have one massive lizard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Hes beautiful! I love Sav. Monitors!
What are their personalities like? Ive heard that they are dog-like... Would it be like a giant beardie? LOL
They get 4-5ft, right? Youre gonna have one massive lizard!
His personality is weird lol, he LOVES his head scratched but hates his toes touched. He does walk on a leash . They are a little more cranky then a beardie lol. They rarely ever get over 4 feet long. Hes weird though he refuses to eat mice and will only eat bugs cant even get him to eat fish

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He's too young for rodents, possibly a pinky every few months but savanna monitors are mostly insectivores. He looks a bit over weight as well.

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
He's too young for rodents, possibly a pinky every few months but savanna monitors are mostly insectivores. He looks a bit over weight as well.
Well, I have only tried to feed him one mouse and he didnt eat it and right now the only things he is eating is roaches and crickets, yes I know hes over weight the guy I bought him from force fed him alot cause he only likes to eat every 2-3 days or so. The vet said hes healthy though

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh he is cute

I can't wait till the day I can get a large lizard...

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:51 PM
is a little "special"

Really? Under 4 feet?!
Thats it... Im totally getting one some day! I was under the impression they get 5+ feet. How big of an enclosure do they need? (Sorry for all the ?s!)
LOL, thats too funny! Wink gets kinda mad at me if I play with his toes too long... He loves his little head scratched though.

Are you still force feeding him? I would just let his eats when he wants too... Wink hasnt had an appetite for over 2 months and he is still healthy. He will eat when hes hungry.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Really? Under 4 feet?!
Thats it... Im totally getting one some day! I was under the impression they get 5+ feet. How big of an enclosure do they need? (Sorry for all the ?s!)
LOL, thats too funny! Wink gets kinda mad at me if I play with his toes too long... He loves his little head scratched though.

Are you still force feeding him? I would just let his eats when he wants too... Wink hasnt had an appetite for over 2 months and he is still healthy. He will eat when hes hungry.
Cage size is at least six feet long (preferably longer) and eighteen inches wide. No, I never force feed, I couldnt believe the guy was doing that to him I just let him eat whenever. he LOVES boiled eggs

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it needs to be much more than 18 inches wide. How is a 4 foot animal supposed to turn around and such in 18 inches. They get rather large though even at four feet they are much heavier than iguanas that reach 5-6 feet

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
it needs to be much more than 18 inches wide. How is a 4 foot animal supposed to turn around and such in 18 inches. They get rather large though even at four feet they are much heavier than iguanas that reach 5-6 feet

The cage I am building for him now is 8 foot wide x 10 foot long, and is 6 feet high, its taking up a large chunk of space in my fully heated and finished basement, along with my water monitors cage which is even bigger at 14 x 16 x 6 I have had Sav's before

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 PM
is a little "special"

Wow, I think those cages are bigger than my bedroom LOL! What spoiled monitors you have!
Any pics? Those would be neat to see!

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Wow, I think those cages are bigger than my bedroom LOL! What spoiled monitors you have!
Any pics? Those would be neat to see!
Oh they are spoiled and they know it lol. I shall get pics ASAP as soon as construction is done

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 PM
is a little "special"

Awesome! Cant wait!
I should hire you to build Wink a mansion... Haha

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Awesome! Cant wait!
I should hire you to build Wink a mansion... Haha
LOL, maybe I should make this a business!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:30 PM
RAT ADDICT

He is a cute little guy.

I only ever seen a Savannah monitor once at a local reptile store which has since gone out of buisness.That one was saucy though and would lunge at the glass and they had a sign on the tank saying he bit.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
monitor, savannah