So Ickis sucks at hunting 0.o - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

So Ickis sucks at hunting 0.o

Does anyones else have a leo that kind of sucks at hunting lol. she'll dive at the cricekt when shes like 3 inches away and when she dives she only moves up about a inch at the most if shes really trying. I think its funny but after missing 3 or 4 times she gives up and will just sit in there and i have to take her out of the cricket tank, wait a wile and then put her back to try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i have two leopard geckos one is a slower hunter then the other but i wouldnt neccarily say he sucks at it.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well i jsut think its weird that she will be so far away and try to pounce. I wasnt sure if it was normal =/ my other one Albi doesnt start that far away he'll walk up to them and then pounce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

What morph is Ickis again? Are you feeding her during the day time?

Remember that leos are nocturnal. In the wild they hunt their prey at night when it's nice and dark. Their eye's are made to be able to see well in low light. A lot of light can actually bother their eyes. Albino morphs have especially light sensitive eyes.

If you're feeding her during the day or with a lot of lights turned on, I'd try feeding her when it's later and darker out instead, or at least turn off the lights in the room she's eating in.

Just an idea. My geckos never have any issues with hunting. I feet them in the evenings and turn the lights out in the room they are in after I put the food in with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

im pretty sure shes just a regular leo. Albis the one thats a merphys patternless. I normaly feed them around 8 at night and the lighting on my room sucks cuz i need to clean the glove the light bulb is in so its a little dark but tuesday ill try with the light off and just the tv or something for light.
heres a few pics of ickis XD ones from when she shed 2 weeks ago.

p_01017.jpg

p_01073.jpg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

She's sooo pretty she has a weird design compared to mine

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Her design is part of the reason i got her =) also she was half off at the store because she lost her tail. Hence she has what has been dubbed a marshmellow butt lol also she isnt fully grown. im not sure how long it takes for geckos to become full grown but ive had her since april and she was just a little thing then.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

She does actually look albino to me unless I'm not seeing her coloring properly on my computer monitor.

See the areas where Ickis has what looks like kind of a brown color? If she was a normal leo, that would be black instead.

It sounds like your lighting isn't too bright, but yeah albino's can have extra sensitive eyes. I have an albino female and a non-albino male and I can tell that my male can handle lights being on better than my female can. I'm not sure if that's the issue here or not, but it's something to think about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well i tryed feeding them this evening with the light off and just some dim light coming in through the windows where it was raining it wasnt really bright. She still missed 4 times then gave up =( poor baby.
As for her colors =o yeah her markings are a bit brown i guess. They were pruple when she was younger and the rest of her is light yellow =o well sept her tail where its a regrown one XD its its own weird mix of pink with kind of purple spots and orange around the spots. But yeah i posted new pictures the other day that are better lit if you wanna see.

Last edited by MeteoraAngel; 09-29-2011 at 10:00 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if she could have bad eye sight? Does she have any other problems with getting around her tank or anything like that?

Poor Ickis. Is she eating enough? If she's not catching them on her own you could try holding the bugs for her with tweezers.

I'll take a look at your other pictures. She's a very pretty gecko

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well once she catches one she doesnt have much problem catching others 0.o its like that inital attempt decides if shes gonna bother trying further. Plus she bigs out on meal worms XD

Tags
dive, gecko, hunting, miss