Very worried mommy!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Very worried mommy!!

Hi,
My Leopard Gecko that I've had for 3 years doesn't seem herself. Shes very tired, lazy, her belly seems bloated. She is going to the bathroom and eating some, but not as much as normal. Everytime I go in shes sleeping, this morning she was even sleeping in her water dish. Shes always been on a diet of mostly mealworms, sometimes some crickets but not normally. She has a pad under her tank and a small regulated heat rock (shuts off when it gets to a certain temperature) to keep it warm, and we do put a night glo light on her at night. She used to have a heat daylight bulb during the day and the night glo at night, but its been since the summer time that we stopped using the daylight and it never seemed to bother her. The three vets around here told me its not even worth me upsetting her to take her in because no one can help me with lizards, and I work at the pet store here and we don't know much more at the pet store. We adopted her 3 years ago in February when the person who had her was actually starving her (she was only eating one meal worm a WEEK!) but since then she usually averages 4 or 5 mealworms a day until lately (shes probably eating maybe one or two if I can get her to do that). Some people asked me if they go into a hiberation type state, but would she do that even though her temperature hasn't changed? i know that fish will even kept at a constant temperature but she never has before. She seems a little more lazy but not too different to handle her, just shes very tired lately and bloated. Unfornately there is noway to get her to any vets until at least Friday since none of the ones within 4 hours of here will have anything to do with lizards. I'm so worried!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you can soak her for like 15 mins twice a day to see if she is constipated.

Maybe she has eggs, do you know if it is for sure a female?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Would I just soak her in warm water? And how deep just up to her belly? And we wondered about eggs, we were told from the people we got her from that she was a female. They especially asked the breeder for a female when they bought her because they eventually wanted to breed her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Hello Earthling

Meal worms aren't a good insect to be using as a staple food. They are mostly exoskeleton and not much meat.

I would firstly suggest you get rid of the heat rock. Even if it has temperature control it is still dangerous. Get an under tank heat pad.

To soak her just place her in a container of warm water (remember that warm to you might be too hot for her), make sure that it doesn't cover her head and let her sock for a few minutes. NEVER leave her unattended while soaking.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Even when we feed the meal worms ourselves? I've heard that hand fed meal worms like ours (we feed them oatmeal, vegetables, and a caliucm vitamin) were really good for our Gecko. What else could we feed her? The only other option for insects around here are crickets and I know that they don't have much of a diet where they are, and aren't always in stock.
We do have a under tank heat pad as well as the heat rock. I could take it out though, she very rarely ever uses the heat rock, I really don't remember her ever spending any time on it.
And I'll try soaking her, although she is going to the bathroom, but it doesn't seem like anything that would hurt to try.
Thanks and any other suggestions would be greatly, greatly appericated!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 PM
is a little "special"

For food, try Phoenix worms. They are very nutritious, have a TON of calcium in them, and no hard shell. The only down side is, they can be a little expensive and more pet stores dont carry them so you may have to order them online. My bearded dragon LOVES them!
Good luck with your baby... I hope she feels better! Sorry I cant help much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the suggestion on the Phoenix worms. Theres no where around here that has them unfornately but I will definietly look into ordering them online for her. And thanks, I hope its nothing too serious and we can get my little girl back to her old self.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Hello Earthling

Pet Stores don't usually carry then, so you will have a hard time finding them in stores. They are the larva of a black fly (I think that is the right fly) and only a few people breed them so they are a bit expensive. They have the perfect rations of calcium : phosphorus etc...

Another thing you can feed is small roaches or crickets. Gut load them yourself.

I personally don;t agree with feeding meal worms are a staple as they are mostly shell and not much meat. Super worms would be a better choice.

Could you give us most information on her set up? Size, substrate etc...

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I have always fed my leopard gecko Haku super worms, and he loves those. It was strange though because when I got my second gecko Aurora, she wouldn't touch them. She wouldn't eat anything except for meal worms for the first couple of months I had her and I tried everything. She still seems to prefer meal worms, but if I get the small sized super worms I can mix them in with her meal worms and trick her into eating them. So if you try new foods, hopefully your girl isn't picky like mine is.

How's she doing now? I wonder if maybe she has eggs. Females can lay eggs even without a male around to fertilize them. Sometimes you can see the eggs if you look at their bellies. If you do a google image search for "gravid leopard gecko" you can get some picture that show you what to look for. Just in case you can't do the search this site has a pretty clear picture if you scroll down a bit.
http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingLeopards.htm

Also what are your temperatures in the cage? Where are you measuring the temperature, at the substraight level?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:58 PM
is a little "special"

If you are interested in the Phoenix worms, this is the best price you will get on them. They are definatly worth every penny!Phoenixworm.com I have good reviews for the site so far, and I will be ordering 1000 soon. If your gecko only eats a couple worms a day, getting 400 medium worms should last you a while. Just dont order from Worm Man.com- They take your money and dont send your order... I would know.
How is she doing today?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Shes in a 20 gallon tank with a under pad heater, a UV heat lamp, and a regulated temperature heat rock. She has sand in there with a paper towel on the very bottom. She has two little houses and a piece of aquarium drift wood.
She seems worse today She was the same this morning but when I got home from work shes even worse, incredibily sluggish, her eyes are barely open now I'm so worried, I don't know what to do! And the vet told me not to bother disturbing her to take her over because theres nothing they can do for her there. I just don't know what to do, I'm so worried I'm going to lose her I work at the pet store here and we have another pet store that we get our orders from that deal a lot in reptiles and I'm going to ask them tomorrow if they can think of anything, but I just don't know what to do.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

She just threw up!! When I soaked her she threw up
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM
is a little "special"

Wait a minute... When you say UV heat lamp, do you mean a Mercury Vapor light? What brand/type (coil, tube, MVB) UVB are you using? In bearded dragons, certain brands of UVB light can cause the symptoms your girlie has- Lethargy, not eating, keeping eyes shut.... ect. Im not sure if it would cause the same symptoms in geckos, but its worth a shot.

Tags
bloated, leopard gecko, tired