Water Dragon Won't Grow - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
kmc

Water Dragon Won't Grow

I adopted a water dragon from work and he has not grown at all. He was at the store for about a year and always kept in the backroom because we couldnt sell him. So I took him home. But in that whole year - he has stayed the same size.

The store manager has taken him to the vet many times and we have had a few tests done on him and he has had some meds (not sure what they were, it was awhile ago). He has only shed once, but he is eating a lot and is very active.

Has anyone else had a water dragon that wouldnt grow? Everyone is at a loss as to what is up with this little guy...any ideas?

Could it just be a genetic defect in which he wont grow and have a very short lifespan? Or do you think that he is really sick and I should keep taking him to the vet?

I know it's a tough one - but any advice or ideas would help - thanks

Oh - I should also note that he came into the store with 3 others. All of them died within a week except for him. So I am thinking that it's something genetic and he's just hanging in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

he might be stunted... or isnt getting what he needs... i'm not sure.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

A lot of reptiles slow down their growth process because they aren't getting what they need and if they grow in spite of that they'll have terrible deficiencies. Is he eating the correct foods. Do you have adequate uva and uvb lighting for him? Are you giving any kind of vitamin supplement? Is the tank big enough for him to have a warm spot under the basking light and a cooler spot at the other end? Is the ambient day time temp between 84 adn 88 F with a basking spot between 90 and 95 F? Is he eating a variety of live prey, lots of greens, and some other veggies and fruits? Does his enclosure have 60 to 80% humidity with a large enough water dish to easily swim and bathe in? If not it could answer some of your questions.